Some questions on a 75(?) Greco SE500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it was made in 75 but released to market in 76?

That's cool, I guess.

Well no, not eaxctly. It was manufactured AND released to market in late 1975, but as part of the new 1976 range launched at that time. As far as I know the whole industry followed that convention, as does the auto industry, for instance. New stuff on offer in time for Xmas?

Anyways, this means that Nov (K), Dec (L) and sometimes Oct (J) serial guitars have the following years specs. Quite often it doesn't matter since the specs don't always change, but sometimes it gets messy.
For instance, in the 1981 catalog, Greco launced a Jazzmaster and Jaguar copy (JM- and JG-700). They must have sold dismally, since they only ever made the batches they needed for the launch in Sept-Nov 1980. So you get two 1981-only models which all have late 1980 serials. Took a while to figure out.

So I noticed that this has 500k audio pots when I replaced the pickguard.

I like the sound so far and like that I can roll things back for a more traditional or less bright sound.

However, I'm wondering if Greco ever did 500k pots for their sss strats...

I generally wanted to make this as stock as possible but then I don't want to lose the dynamics and highs I'm getting now.

Maybe a hybrid setup...500k volume, 250k tones...or maybe put higher value caps in there...?

I can't for the life of me recall ever seeing a stock Greco SE with anything else but 250ks. That's not to say there never were any, they ran sort of a proto-custom shop from 1972 and were prepared to deck the guitars out as the customers (often retail chains, sometimes individuals) wanted, so every possible variation can turn up. Also, the earlier the guitar, the bigger chance that it will be off-spec compared to Fenders, but 1975/76 should be fine.

Anyway, since the pots are non-original to begin with you can choose whatever without devalueing the guitar, so why not try stuff out?

I can't for the life of me recall ever seeing a stock Greco SE with anything else but 250ks. That's not to say there never were any, they ran sort of a proto-custom shop from 1972 and were prepared to deck the guitars out as the customers (often retail chains, sometimes individuals) wanted, so every possible variation can turn up. Also, the earlier the guitar, the bigger chance that it will be off-spec compared to Fenders, but 1975/76 should be fine.

Anyway, since the pots are non-original to begin with you can choose whatever without devalueing the guitar, so why not try stuff out?

Right

I've only ever heard the Japanese being on-spec no matter what.

Which is basically why the original makers employed the "if you can't beat them, join them strategy." Or so, I've read.

Anyway, I'm going to experiment, like you said... maybe by wiring the bridge pup to the bottom tone.

Last edited:
Oh wow. ^That bridge tone mod was incredibly easy.

I wonder why Fender didn't design it that way.

You can just leave it wide open or dial it back however you want.

Hey guys,

I got this guitar recently and was hoping to get more info on it.

View attachment 53924
View attachment 53925
View attachment 53926
View attachment 53927
View attachment 54010
View attachment 53928
View attachment 53929

So far, it seems the pickguard, pup covers, pots, switch, saddles and nut aren't original but the neck, pups, tuners, bridge all seem original. I think the body as well.

I also suspect this has been repainted or touched up but I don't know to what extent but I definitely see some blotchy work that I doubt is factory. I also can't see the wood grain - I don't know if that's stock or not and the catalog pic isn't very clear...

View attachment 53930

That said, I'm very happy with the guitar. I had just sold a couple fenders but wanted another strat but didn't want to spend fender money. Traded a mini-acoustic for it that I was selling for the same price this was = $175.

This sounds and plays incredible. Maybe on par or better than my US fenders. Maybe it's the age or something but this feels REALLY easy and "soft" playing. It's probably the neck.

I have a white pickguard, new white knobs coming as well as some traditional saddles so this will be more period correct.

The electronics still work so I'll stick with those till they konk out and then I'll put in some switchcrafts or cts pots and switch.

Anything look off or something? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

it probably had a natural finish from the factory. That sunburst is straight from a rattle can. nice score on the guitar. those 70's/80's japanese strats are all high quality. That was before cnc routers so the guitar is handmade and the neck was shaped by hand. buy any fender guitar nowadays and they are all made by cnc routers. Even the "custom" guitars are all exact duplicates of each other. The maker for those were either fujigen or matsumoko. yours is obviously matsumoko.

it probably had a natural finish from the factory. That sunburst is straight from a rattle can. nice score on the guitar. those 70's/80's japanese strats are all high quality. That was before cnc routers so the guitar is handmade and the neck was shaped by hand. buy any fender guitar nowadays and they are all made by cnc routers. Even the "custom" guitars are all exact duplicates of each other. The maker for those were either fujigen or matsumoko. yours is obviously matsumoko.

Natural? I'm not sure. I'm seeing 3 pieces and a nondescript pattern of straight lines. Doesn't seem interesting enough for a clear finish. But who knows?

I'm seeing sections at the edges where there seems to be a base layer of black paint along with what appears to be filler. I can imagine how many times this has been touched up over its lifetime...

If I were to redo it, I'd just do it all black. Natural is possible but I'd need to remove a lot of material due to the extensive dents on top and then have to match the tone of the neck.

Interesting info on the "handy" work. No wonder some of these guitars go for pretty much the same price as a new mexican or japanese fender.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So, I didn't like the color of the guitar. Found it too yellow and blotchy so I went out to get some sandpaper, primer, black and clear paint.

As I was sanding, I notice a whole other finish beneath the top layer...

1000020556.jpg

It's the original sunburst over multiple pieces of some kind of wood.

The previous owner basically just painted right over the finish with seemingly no prep!

Anyway, I like this shade way better and it reminded me of a guitar of a guy I've been listening to a lot lately... but multiple pieces aside, I like how it turned out...

1000020593.jpg
1000020591.jpg

Attachments

• 1000020562.jpg
    1000020562.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
Hey guys,

So, I didn't like the color of the guitar. Found it too yellow and blotchy so I went out to get some sandpaper, primer, black and clear paint.

As I was sanding, I notice a whole other finish beneath the top layer...

View attachment 57610

It's the original sunburst over multiple pieces of some kind of wood.

The previous owner basically just painted right over the finish with seemingly no prep!

Anyway, I like this shade way better and it reminded me of a guitar of a guy I've been listening to a lot lately... but multiple pieces aside, I like how it turned out...

View attachment 57613
View attachment 57614

SRV pic of a time when modern relic methods weren't a thing yet...

Back