Earthquake

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What can we learn from the Japanese people...

Excerpt from Tweets all over Japan...

At Tokyo Disneyland:
Tokyo Disneyland was handing out its shops? food and drinks for free to the stranded people nearby. I saw a bunch of snobby looking highschool girls walking away with large portions of it and initially though ?What the ?? But I later I found out they were taking them to the families with little children at emergency evacuation areas. Very perceptive of them, and a very kind thing to do indeed.

At a congested downtown intersection ?

Cars were moving at the rate of maybe one every green light, but everyone was letting each other go first with a warm look and a smile. At a complicated intersection, the traffic was at a complete standstill for 5 minutes, but I listened for 10 minutes and didn?t hear a single beep or honk except for an occasional one thanking someone for giving way. It was a terrifying day, but scenes like this warmed me and made me love my country even more.

During the earthquake

We?ve all been trained to immediately open the doors and establish an escape route when there is an earthquake. In the middle of the quake while the building was shaking crazily and things falling everywhere, a man made his way to the entrance and held it open. Honestly, the chandelier could have crashed down any minute ? that was a brave man!

Bus stop mini episode:

It was freezing and bus was taking ages to arrive. ?@saiso? left the queue to run to a nearby pharmacy. He bought heating pads and gave one to everyone in the queue!

Thank you Tokyo Disney Sea

My daughter who was staying at DisneySea just made it back home! Many, many thanks to the staff who worked very hard in the cold with ready smiles that made her to feel safe and secure during the entire night. They brought her food, drinks, snacks, heating pads, and anything necessary to ensure she was comfortable and secure throughout her stay. I was touched by the Disney staff?s warmth and hospitality. Thank you so much!

Reminded of the goodness of the Japanese people
This earthquake has reminded me of that Japanese goodness that had recently become harder and harder to see. Today I see no crime or looting: I am reminded once again of the good Japanese spirit of helping one another, of propriety, and of gentleness. I had recently begun to regard my modern countrymen as cold people ? but this earthquake has revived and given back to all of us the spirit of ?kizuna? (bond, trust, sharing, the human connection). I am very touched. I am brought to tears.

Card board boxes, Thank you!

It was cold and I was getting very weary waiting forever for the train to come. Some homeless people saw me, gave me some of their own cardboard boxes and saying ?you?ll be warmer if you sit on these!? I have always walked by homeless people pretending I didn?t see them, and yet here they were offering me warmth. Such warm people.

What foreigners are saying about Japanese people

At a supermarket where everything was scattered everywhere over the floors, shoppers were helping pick them up and putting them back neatly on the shelves before quietly moving into line to wait to pay for them. On the totally jam-packed first train after the quake, an elderly man gave up his seat for a pregnant woman. Foreigners have told me they are amazed witnessing sights like these. I do believe they actually saw what they said they saw. Japan is truly amazing.

Touch of art

I saw artists and painters trying to keep things upbeat by painting or drawing beautiful or encouraging drawings for the evacuees around them. I was touched at how everyone was doing their very best to help.

BBC Reports

The words of BBC?s reports are so moving they make me cry. They were praising us with words of admiration! ?One of the worst earthquakes in recorded history has hit the world?s most well-prepared, well-trained nations. The strength of its government and its people are put to the test. While there have been casualties, in no other country could the government and the people have worked together in such an accurate and coordinated way in the face of such tragedy. The Japanese people have shown their cultural ability to remain calm in the face of adversity.?

A little story about Papa
We live in an area that was not directly hit. When my father came downstairs and heard the news saying that our area had begun allocating electricity to the hard-hit areas, he quietly led by example, turning off the power around the house and pulling the plugs out of their sockets. I was touched. He usually NEVER turns off the lights or the AC or the TV or anything!

The bakery lady

There was a small bread shop on the street I take to go to school. It has long been out of business. But last night, I saw the old lady of the shop giving people her handmade bread for free. It was a heart-warming sight. She, like everyone else, was doing what she could to help people in a time of need. Tokyo isn?t that bad afterall!

From a German friend

A German friend of mine was in Shibuya (downtown Tokyo shopping district) when the earthquake hit. He was panicking when a Japanese passerby saved him, taking him into a building. My friend was blown away at how calm and disciplined this Japanese man was. He went out of the building with firm, unfaltering steps, did everything he was trained to do and came back. My German friend was deeply impressed by the Japanese people?s actions during the earthquake, saying they looked like a trained army.

At the supermarket
I just came back safely from the supermarket! Man, I was so touched at how everyone there was mindful of others, buying only as much as they needed and leaving the rest for the people behind them.

Gotenba traffic

Japan is really something! Yesterday, not a single traffic light was functioning in Gotenba City. But drivers knew to take turns at intersections and give way to others when needed. Local people were using flags to direct traffic at intersections. I drove for 9 hours but never saw a single car trying to get in front of another. Every single driver on the road contributed to the traffic situation and as a result there was no confusion at all.

?All of us?

I spoke with an old taxi driver and some elderly staff at the train stations. All of them had been working non-stop and had not been able to go home for a long time. They were visibly very tired, but never once did they show any sign of impatience; they were gentle and very caring. They told me ?? because all of us are in this together.? I was touched at what the notion of ?all of us? meant to these elderly people. It is a value I will treasure and carry on to my generation.

A strong Japan
Suntory Beverages has set up free vending machines. Softbank Telephone services is offering free Wifi spots. Everyone in Japan is putting everything they can into helping one another. Japan is also now receiving aid from abroad. Compared to the Kobe earthquake, when Japan took too long to contemplate accepting foreign aid or dispatching the self-defense force to join the rescue effort, Japan has definitely grown into a far stronger nation. Be strong, everyone!

Mr. Inoue
Mr. Inoue has been churning out drawings of smiling and laughing faces at an amazing pace! Things like this remind me again of what it truly means to give people a message of strength and courage.

Rest here!

Last night, I decided, rather than stay at the office, I should try walking home. So I slowly made my way west on Koshu freeway on foot. It was around 9PM when I saw an office building that had a sign that said ?Please use our office?s bathrooms! Please rest here!? The employees of the office were loudly shouting out the same to all the people trying to walk home. I was so touch I felt like crying. Well, I guess I was too tense yesterday to cry, but now the tension is wearing off and am very much in tears.

Saving electricity for the North
I went to my neighborhood supermarket and was initially surprised that their neon signs were off. They usually are open till 1AM. I then found out that they were open, but were saving electricity so that more power could be channeled to the hard-hit coastal areas. Wow!

Not enough money!
At the store where I work, a huge group of young men suddenly came in to buy booze. One of them suddenly said, ?Oops, I only have enough money to buy booze, I can?t donate! Forget the booze, maybe next time!? and instead put ALL his money into the disaster relief donation box. One by one, every single one of the army of youths threw all their money into the box after him. What a heart-warming sight that was!

Goth youth
A goth youth with white hair and body piercings walked into my store and shoved several hundred dollars (several tens of thousands of yen) into the disaster relief fund donation box. As he walked out, I and people around me heard him saying to his buddies, ?I mean, we can buy those games anytime!? At that, we all opened our wallets and put our money into the donation box. Really, you cannot judge people by their appearances.

Another Disney episode
Amazing! My brother just managed to get home from Disneyland right now. He?s got bags and bags of free sweets. Furthermore, Disneyland paid for every customer?s travel fare back. All night long, the staff responded immediately and fully to every request he made. Disneyland is truly a world class brand!

These stories are really inspiring, if this was the UK, USA or almost any other country there would be people looting and generally taking advantage of the situation. Tha Japanese people could teach us a thing or two about how to conduct ourselves!

Sure John.
I was talking today about this at home with my brother and others and wondering what could happen here if that situation was done! I gues I know....

JohnA said:
These stories are really inspiring, if this was the UK, USA or almost any other country there would be people looting and generally taking advantage of the situation. Tha Japanese people could teach us a thing or two about how to conduct ourselves!

No ****..... just had this conversation yesterday with a friend.

I would like to see german people in that situation so close together and guess it's only a wish...

maybe people are leaving the bad stuff out. One day recently...Wednesday or Thursday, there was a report on the local news stating 90 cases of looting and robbery in Miyagi alone with 30 odd cases of people stealing gas from cars. Now, I`m not going to debate whether the number is high or low compared to other countries, my point is... there is looting and robbery going on...one bank had it`s safe damaged in the tidal wave leaving the door open and it was emptied of all it`s money. Just today my sister in law was telling us about neighbors of her parents who live in Natori...just find a web site with pics of that town to see what it looks like today...her parents were fortunate to get away with their lives, and thats all they got away with. Their neighbors managed to retrieve some things from the house, a TV among them and went back today to pick them up but they were gone.
Japan has one of the highest instances of people finding and turning in money so I know about all the good stuff that happens in the country, been witness to some myself however, I do not pretend there are no bad people here, again not going to debate the proportions compared to other countries...I`ve been here for 18 years and have come to the conclusion people here are no different from elsewhere...some good folks some bad folks. There have been some heart warming acts of kindness among the people, too bad there aren`t more from the gov`t here...some folks have not bathed nor eaten a hot meal since the quake on the 11th. But yeah, I had some students call me and ask if I needed anything, offered food and/or water so like I said, lots of great stories to report on...but in Japan, just like anywhere, there are folks who take advantage of situations...however...I must add, if I were a father with kids to feed I can say with 100% certainty that I`d beg, borrow or steal to see they got fed so I ain`t judging here, just sayin...in a country of over 127 million people, there are going to be some rotten apples and if folks can nor find stories of looting...they ain`t looking hard enough.

you can follow this link to footage of some rather leisurely looting taking place...it`s all quite relaxed and even the looters have left their license plates exposed for the police to read...not the sharpest knives in the drawer I guess...but again, if they have mouths to feed it`s kinda hard to lay blame. I know of some 7-11 shops that were short of staff using the honor system and leaving paper for people to write their names down after taking the goods they need. Can`t say everybody will report back but I bet many will. I have seen more sad images and heard more sad stories than anybody should see or hear in a lifetime, and I will not easily forget the earthquake that rocked Sendai...with every after shock...and there have been countless numbers...my heart almost jumps out of my chest so I am still on extreme edge, not sleeping as I did before and I`m having difficulty concentrating, it`s almost like I am waiting for the next big one...or the Fukushima reactors to finally melt down...it`s nice that everybody is so worried about Tokyo and the people there but we are a hell of a lot closer and as I type this, are extremely limited in ways of getting out of Sendai even if we wanted to...and it`s even worse for folks up north in the affected areas...trains are not running yet and the Sendai airport is not open to passenger planes so we wait...and hope the reactors don`t go tits up until we have a way of getting out of here.

There is just one video in the link, frankly I haven`t searched for more though I`d wager there are some and I am not concentrating on the bad stuff...however, I can`t close my eyes and pretend it isn`t there either.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/news23vip/archives/3609103.html

Latest posts

Back