AST 62 queries

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Im new here and first off would like to congratulate all involved on a truly great site and forum. Now to milk all of your extensive knowledge on these instruments....

I am looking closely at a Tokai AST 62 made in 1985 I think. It has a six digit serial number (223XXX) is that consistent with model, year etc? Second, is it true to say that the only difference between the TSTs and the ASTs is the different shaped headstock (for export to US?) Are there any other differences in build quality, pick-ups, general design etc? If they are basically the same what TST model would come closest to the AST 62? Also, would the 85 models have been finished with nitro or the more modern finish? And, generally, is there significant difference in materials and build quality of these mid 80s guitars compared with late 70s eaerly 80s?

There could be a clue for someone here because the guitar Im looking at has an "ice blue metallic" finish. Is this unusual of was it a stock colour during that year of production? Finally, these things seem to be getting fairly pricey? Im being quoted something near $700. Is that a crazy price or is that just the market reality? Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions but I know you know so...In any case, many, many thanks in advance.

:eek: Don't pay$700!! AST's should be around $300 - $450. The AST is the export Strat to America, TST is domestic as in Tokyo. AST's have the modified headstock as do some of the TST's. Take a look in the 84' catalog on this site and you will get all the specs. AST's are a great bargain with alder bodies, Kluson type machines , rosewood slab or a chunky V style maple. I have 5 AST's , two 62's and three 56's they are not nitro. I like the modified headstock so these suit me fine and a bargain compared to the older Springy's and Goldstars. Watch Ebay , I see nice ones going for $300 to $400 frequently. :wink: Good Luck ,TG

Back