ST70 "Rare Model"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a 1984 (?) ST70 Goldstar known as the "1964 Rare Model" with the maple over maple fret board (no skunk stripe).

Body is 2 piece alder (?) with a center seam .

l5Mw0N8.jpg

tzHiJWn.jpg

bzYlHHC.jpg

E1uaJ1f.jpg

Sigmania said:
I just got a 1984 (?) ST70 Goldstar known as the "1964 Rare Model" with the maple over maple fret board (no skunk stripe).

Body is 2 piece alder (?) with a center seam .

HOLY CRAP Batman :eek: that is one SWEET AXE 8) and rare as hens teeth to boot :D

CONGRATS :D

what is the neck thickness like at the 1st fret?

Sigmania said:
Thanks!

Nut is 1.67"

1st fret is 1.69" (1-11/16").

was wondering about neck thickness; my guess is it is fairly thin & not thick at all. Could be wrong tho'

I personally have never had a Goldstar with a thick neck :cry:

The 1981 ST70R Springy is 0.89" at the first fret.

The 1984 ST70 Goldstar is 0.85" at the first fret.

The 1981 ST70R Springy is 0.89" at the first fret.

The 1984 ST70 Goldstar is 0.85" at the first fret.

The ST70R feels thicker to my hands than the ST70 Goldie. I think it is because the ST70R seems to have more "shoulder" since I doubt I could perceive 0.04” difference.

guitar hiro said:
I personally have never had a Goldstar with a thick neck :cry:

Neck-specs.jpg

Here's the measurment from a 1984 Goldstarsound that I once had.

The neck, at the first fret, is indeed a bit 'thinner' than on my Springy's.

felixcatus, would you call that neck shape a "C"?

My 1984 ST70 Goldstar has a neck similar to yours.

My 1981 ST70R Springy has more of a "U" shape neck.

Sigmania said:
felixcatus, would you call that neck shape a "C"?

My 1984 ST70 Goldstar has a neck similar to yours.

My 1981 ST70R Springy has more of a "U" shape neck.

It has been long since I had that Goldstarsound in my hands.
But I gues thats how you can call it.

More pics of the veneer on the 1984 ST70.

It's hard to see if you don't know what you are looking at. I don't think the guy I bought it from knew what it was, and he sells lots of guitars.

Interesting to see the body finish in these pics too.

3nFchbx.jpg

9Xfj4tU.jpg

l5oD0Xq.jpg

It's mentioned in Peter's book as 67 U neck with laminated maple board, square tree and no skunk stripe or teardrop.

67?

It’s a replica of a rare pre CBS ‘64/65 maple lam board shown earlier in this thread by Hamamatsu

Sigmania said:
HAMAMATSU said:
https://guitarpoint.de/en/electric/1965-fender-stratocaster-candy-apple-red-super-rare-maple-cap-neck/

You’re amazing! Thank you!

"1965 Fender Stratocaster - Candy Apple Red ...super rare maple-cap neck!

Rare 1965 Fender Stratocaster in custom color Candy Apple Red with maple-cap neck! The guitar has been played, so there is some play-wear, mostly on the backside of the neck and body, and the finish has faded to a more bronze-like look! All original, a hole of a second stringtree has been filled on the headstock, electronic and pickups are untouched, all 3 pots are stamped 137.65.01, the original 3-way switch has never been changed the neckstamp reads 2 JUN 65 B! Nice weight of aprox. 3,45 Kg, the nice medium -c shaped neck is very comfortable to play. Incl. orig. black Fender Tolex case with orange interior.

Techn. details:

Solid alderbody in Candy Apple Red,
1-piece maple-neck/ small headstock,
Rare maple-cap fretboard with 21 frets,
Black dot inlays,
3x original “grey-bottom”-singlecoil pickups,
3-ply white pickguard,
1x volume, 2x tone, 3x way switch,
6x orig. Kluson "double-line" tuners,
Fender “synchronized” tremolo with 6x “Pat.nr.stamped” steel saddles,
Incl. orig. black Fender Tolex case with orange plush interior."

NjOAk0P.jpg

0IkSBuj.jpg

and Guitar Hiro.

Sigmania said:
guitar hiro said:
concerning vintage Fender guitars, Strats included: I will throw you a bone to chew on.
this web site will offer the reader some interesting info :wink:
http://guitarhq.com/fenderc.html
You could do a LOT of digging here 8)

make sure not to miss the 1964 Firemist Gold Strat with the maple cap neck & gold hardware; it's about 2/3rds the way down the page.
This extremely rare Strat, serial # L47091, is also featured on pages 32 & 33 in TGOS by Yasuhiko Iwanade. 8)

Wow.......... :eek:

I guess that right there would be the "1964 Rare Model"!

Thanks for that amazing link!

1j9Lhcb.jpg

http://guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

N8lZDwr.png

pages 32 & 33 in TGOS by Yasuhiko Iwanade

Small headstock.

U sounds right.

Tokai did make something like what you are talking about with the bigger CBS headstock.

Spring 1982 catalog:

nVkXa86.png

1966 RARE MODEL SS60-BB ¥ 60a000 The dramatic appearance of SS60 / BB, which can be said to be the Hendrix memory dedicated by the project team to the unprecedented genius guitarist Jimmy Hendrix. The sensational sound of the legendary Monterey Festival cannot be reproduced without this model. A perfect replica of the maple-pasted fingerboard neck model that the genius guitarist loved so much down to the details. The unrivaled performance of Kluson type pegs, 4-point stop neck set plate, special alloy tremolo unit, etc. is brought to the genuine Jimi Hendrix freak.

Here's a 1984 catalog shot of the guitar I got, a TST70-YS.

I actually found the trem arm in the original soft case. Bonus. 8)

CZp5pRl.jpg

I guess my ST70R that is metallic green would technically be an ST75R because of the color? 8)

AAPlfJU.jpg

Back