Jacaranda And Cat’s Eyes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Martin Guitar's Japanese Counterpart

•Let's introduce three models from the Cat's Eye Limited Production Series.

•First of all, the CE1200M is an upgraded model based on Martin's D.18. The difference from the D.18 is that it has the highest quality African ebony on the fingerboard and bridge plate. The beautiful inlays seen on the Martein Pre War model have been applied. Of course, the top plate is made of Sitka Spruce, which can be said to be second to none, and the sides and back are also made of carefully selected mahogany. For those who simply want beautiful sounds for fingerpicking, lead guitar, etc."

•CE2000S is a professional recording guitar. It is made using the same system as Martin guitars, including a lacquered finish and a non-adjustable V-shaped neck. The sides and back are made of fine Jacaranda and top-quality rosewood depending on the season. The top plate is made of durable and beautiful German spruce, and a special hard case made with extensive research is included. It perfectly meets the requirements of many professional musicians, such as a guitar that always sounds good.

•The CE1000S is a guitar created primarily to satisfy bluegrass players. Enjoy the powerful sound inspired by the well-known Clarence White's D-28.

•These models are made with carefully selected materials of the highest quality, so only a small number can be made. We confidently recommend this to anyone who wants their own guitar that will last a lifetime.

•At Cat's Eye, we take great care in providing the highest quality accessories so that you can always use your guitar in its best condition. Masu.

•Original hard case There are three types: WO-100 ¥10.000 WO-130 ¥13.000 WO-150 ¥15.000. The WO-150 in particular has an exterior that is a complete reconstruction of the Martin case made in the 1940s, and an internal structure with a unique neck. - With its built-in rest, it is worthy of being called the best hard case in the world, and is used by many professional musicians.

•Cat's eye strings Made by Dalco (U.S.A.) like Martin, there are three types: con bound, light, and medium. A set of two strings with the 1st and 3rd strings, which are the easiest to break!!

•Cat's eye strap. Made from the highest quality cow hide, this is a famous product that gels better
the more you use it. This product has a unique size adjustment that allows it to be used both on the head side and on the heal side of the neck. 73.500

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 2.16.52 PM.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0
Jacaranda? Never heard of it being used in instrument’s before!
I’ve been reading on the Maton Australian acoustic recently, all of the timber’s are native there, and I was lucky enough to play one briefly at my local music shop

There is a lot of debate as to whether jacaranda is another word for Brazilian Rosewood. It is debated endlessly on line in guitar forums.

Jacaranda is a non native species here where I live (Australia) and having had one in my yard, and seeing the timber from it, I suspect you are right. Who knows, it could be jacaranda but a different species than the one here.

Just a quick check on google shows 6 species of jacaranda. Maybe there could be a tone wood in that, I mean look at mango wood, it’s nothing to look at before it’s dressed and its great for ukulele’s

Jacaranda is a non native species here where I live (Australia) and having had one in my yard, and seeing the timber from it, I suspect you are right. Who knows, it could be jacaranda but a different species than the one here.
Yep. Thats another aspect of the debate. The tree you have there is very likely a completely different species.

The problem with wood is that people use common names and divorce them from the genus and species. One common name is often used for different species. As with the case of “Jacaranda”.

And the translation re: “season” and jacaranda is probably an inaccurate translation as guitar hiro suggested in another thread.

Jacaranda (Jacarandá da bahia) is another name for Brazilian Rosewood, so again you are right, it’s rosewood, but the name jacaranda could have also been used by guitar manufacturers to import exotic timber into a country, Gibson were guilty of illegally importing exotic timber in the 80’s from South America.

I had forgotten that I also had this 12 string 1977 Takamine 456S.

Also Jacaranda, but this type does not look like Brazilian to me because of the sort of map like grain. May simply be the cut?

IMG_3063.jpg
IMG_3065.jpg
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG

I had forgotten that I also had this 12 string 1977 Takamine 456S.

Also Jacaranda, but this type does not look like Brazilian to me because of the sort of map like grain. May simply be the cut?

if the back is solid it looks to be basically flat sawn.
if it is a veneer these will typically offer the look of flat sawn solid lumber.
either way, if solid or veneer the back offers the look of a flat sawn piece of lumber i.e. the grain feature typically associated with flat sawn lumber.
It looks amazing to my old eyes.

My memory is that the Jacaranda Taks are laminates. I was not super impressed with the tone & volume on those two and passed them along.

I still have some amazing Taks though. At least one that is Koa (F370SK) and another that is Indian rosewood that I believe is solid.

F370SK.jpg

Last edited:
So I just briefly looked at the CE1500 and CE2000 examples I have found and they look like Indian rosewood.

So the translation that seems to say Jacaranda or high grade rosewood depending is telling. Seems it was based on availability?

I have seen quite a few Hay Wagons that look like Jacaranda. I think they were made around 1977?

Back