How to Peter Green my Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to go back to the sound-thingy: what's the point in copying somebody else's sound (even it it's Peter's)?

And I still remember 'Albatros' in the early 70s.

Find your own sound, I'd say.

Cheers! Rup

In Mr Moore's defence in selling Green's LP he had said that he didn't dare take it anywhere or actually play it as it's value was so high.

Lets face it the guitar had become collectors piece, right or wrong.

Peter Green didn't sell it to old crater face as a money-making opportunity, he clearly thought that he would cherish it and look after it. He didn't. :evil:

If anyone should have benefitted from the astronomical sums that people have been willing to pay for it, it should be Greeny.

Shameful business. :(

What is a shame is that a burst is in a museum or in a bank safe. They should be in use by musicians, not in hands of any bloody speculator.

I wonder if the people who think Moore is **** ever have listened to more than just a few songs. I'm sure that some don't know where they're talking about. I mean... every guitarplayer has his down sides but tell me what is wrong with Gary Moore? Is it because he doesn't play a Strat (just see his version of Red House on the Stratpack) or don't you simply like his beefed up Les Paul sound?

Here Gary using Green's guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWp-Mazmf88

Another one... nice audio recording, Don't Believe a Word
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RdnezZJ7M

Back on topic. I have a Goldtop Les Paul with low output PAF pickups and installed a push pull switch on the place of the neck volume pot to turn the humbuckers out of phase. Works brilliantly I have to say, but you have to get used to it, you can change the sound of your guitar a lot by just turning the one volumeknob higher. Personally, I really like it... :)

Emiel said:
I wonder if the people who think Moore is ^&*( ever have listened to more than just a few songs. I'm sure that some don't know where they're talking about. I mean... every guitarplayer has his down sides but tell me what is wrong with Gary Moore? Is it because he doesn't play a Strat (just see his version of Red House on the Stratpack) or don't you simply like his beefed up Les Paul sound?

I'm afraid I have experienced Moore live, & I wish I hadn't. OK, looks like I have to repeat myself....

He's probably a good rock player, the trouble is he has styled himself as a blues player, but he isn't a blues player! Even Ozeshin agrees with me on that one! He doesn't know when to leave space, when to understate, when "less is more", to quote a fellow forum member. He resorts to flash histrionics and excessive volume, and his tone is crap! Listen to any of his "blues" recordings with BB or Albert King, or Albert Collins - he doesn't understand how to complement the playing of the masters, he tries to outplay them, and ends up looking and sounding like a *)%!

On BB Kings last ever tour of Europe a couple of years ago, the promoter booked Moore as support, so I had to sit through his set (only once, at the second gig we stayed in the bar till BB!). Awful - too loud, uninspired backing from his rock band, crap tone, just terrible. BB came on for his set, and the difference amazed even me, despite having seen BB over a 20 year period. Subtlety, dynamics, touch, feel, space, I could go on......

If you like Moore, fine, that's up to you. However, listen to Ronnie Earl, Jimmie Vaughan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Anson Funderburgh, Alex Schultz and others if you want to hear what a good blues player sounds like. If you like heavy rock, I'm sure Moore is wonderful.

8)

I wouldn't say that, it's just that I can tell the difference between blues & rock.

stratman323 said:
scouse303 said:
I'd like to challange the claim that he owns Pete Green's guitar - he sold it ! :lol:

If you had read the thread, you would have noticed that I made that exact point on page one..... :-?

If only Gary Moore would burst, as the sign above suggests. :lol:

I see that now - Apoligises I read the thread too quick...

My memory is that Moore swopped his SG for the LP (when he was in Skid Row ?) and further if I remember right it had it's neck broke when the car it was in was hit from behind...
Er.. dare I say I think I agree with you on Moores playing I always refer to him as a "falling down the stairs" guitarist- cos he can't help doing that fast pull off decending thingy down the neck...it's a terrible infliction, like a nervous twitch...
Mind you I saw him once play with Jack Bruce and was impressed with his EC impersonation - he really had it down pat - until he went into that fast pull off decending thingy down the neck...

Scouse, I read your post quickly, & I thought you said that Moore had broken his neck. :lol:

Interesting point you make about him playing with Bruce. I'm not a big Cream fan, but it strikes me that Moore is probably a better partner for Bruce & Baker than Clapton is - on that kind of heavy blues/rock, his technique is arguably more suitable.

stratman323 said:
Scouse, I read your post quickly, & I thought you said that Moore had broken his neck. :lol:

Interesting point you make about him playing with Bruce. I'm not a big Cream fan, but it strikes me that Moore is probably a better partner for Bruce & Baker than Clapton is - on that kind of heavy blues/rock, his technique is arguably more suitable.

Interestingly they weren't with Baker- I can't remember the drummers name I'm afraid -they was playing in a school playground in Chelsea as a charity gig for a local community project.. I must admit I still hold quite a lot of respect for Moore for doing that - and pulling in his mates to help out...

Ahhhh - the BBM (Baker, Bruce, Moore) album, tone still far too distorted as others have said but that was the only GM effort I could get on with. A lot of the tracks were very reminiscent of Cream and I laughed out loud at the various "licks" from the Cream days that found their way on a track I think was called City of Gold, very close to Crossroads. Give me a classic player with sweet low powered pickups anyday (Kossoff, Mick Taylor, PG, early EC) or one of the guys who started it all, the Three Kings, Otis Rush etc (I can say that the only bit on the Live Aid DVD set I got last year that gets watched is BB King at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 1985 - who remembers that!)

Yes I remember BB @ Live Aid, I still have it on MD. An unexpected pleasure - most people don't even remember he played. I think he was in Amsterdam. And then Albert Collins joined George Thorogood from Philly later.

It wasn't just Queen who were on good form that day. 8)

BB was great, they only two people I heard get really close to his personal tone/feel (and space) were Matt Schofield (once, with a Tokai ES120 VSB) and Duke Robillard (before going back into that western swing style of his). Still not the same as the great man plus he must have been around 58 at the time of Live Aid too.

The other hoots on that day were Led Zep - Jimmy Page gurning his way through a few notes before the start of Whole Lotta Love (although STH wasn't bad) and the finale, Bob Dylan with guests Keef (and Ron, who spend the entire time in front of xxxm viewers trying to get tuned up).

Here Gary using Green's guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWp-Mazmf88

Ha! Having watched that I suspect Greenie would be quite pleased Moore sold it 8)

Still, I have to admire Moore's technique - it's great for some other kind of music than the blues.

There's nothing wrong with Gary Moore.......

......that a red hot poker wouldn't cure.

:lol:

and a haircut......

:wink:

I saw Gary Moore last December and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Okay, he may be loud, and he'll never be in the Richard Thompson league for virtuosity (Who I also saw live at the same venue last year!) but I'd still be a very happy bunny if I could play like him.

Live Aid? Yeah, I remember all those acts, although "Tone of the day" for me HAD to be Dave Gilmour's solo on Bryan Ferry's "Slave to love" and "Jealous Guy". What a sound! 8)

stratman323 said:
Gilmour does get some nice noises from his guitars.

He does indeed. I'm off to buy a Guitar Pod tomorrow so I can download the Gilmour patch and have a bit of a Pink Floyd moment. 8)

Stratman: You're in London? Richard Thompson is touring the UK again in the new year. You've gotta see him if you get the chance.
I'll be at the Cambridge date. Can't wait! :D

I've never really listened to Richard Thompson - isn't he a sort of folk player? I know he's well respected by musicians, so I guess I should check him out.

Back