How to Peter Green my Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I saw him on TV was on Gristle Test. Here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uILkhhMwg48

If I remember rightly, there was an OMD concert and some sort of dispute over the support act, so RT stepped in at the last minute and went up in front of the crowd alone with only his '55 Strat.

The audience were spellbound. :eek:

BTW on the subject of Peter Green tone...I am writing this playing my customised SG Custom (unfortunately it's not a Tokai...but a G**bs*n) that I had fitted with Bare Knuckle PG Blues humbuckers, and a BKP P90 in the middle. Pretty good pickups and some great Greenie sounds, but very low on output, need a touch of help from a pedal.

Writing emails with a guitar round your neck is one thing, but I don't recommend making a cuppa like that. I did once, and the strap button popped out just as my hands were poised with the boiling water, depositing my Custom Shop special head first onto the stone floor. Amazingly hardly damage other than to my heartrate.

BTW on the subject of Peter Green tone...I am writing this playing my customised SG Custom (unfortunately it's not a Tokai...but a G**bs*n) that I had fitted with Bare Knuckle PG Blues humbuckers, and a BKP P90 in the middle. Pretty good pickups and some great Greenie sounds, but very low on output, need a touch of help from a pedal for me anyway.

Writing emails with a guitar round your neck is one thing, but I don't recommend making a cuppa like that. I did once, and the strap button popped out just as my hands were poised with the boiling water, depositing my Custom Shop special head first onto the stone floor. Amazingly hardly damage other than to my heartrate.

stratman323 said:
There's nothing wrong with Gary Moore.......

......that a red hot poker wouldn't cure.

:lol:

and a haircut......

:wink:
And a facelift...<-------the only time you'll see me bag the ugly prick :eek:

Goestoeleven said:
I saw Gary Moore last December and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Okay, he may be loud, and he'll never be in the Richard Thompson league for virtuosity (Who I also saw live at the same venue last year!) but I'd still be a very happy bunny if I could play like him.
In my formative guitar playing years Gary Moore was my reference guide...along with Scott Gorham, Michael Schenker,Niel Schon and other "firey"players.
I agree with most opinions as to Moore classing himself as a blues guitarist...I don't kid myself..I love the blues but I also love loud overdriven guitars so I describe myself as a "blues-based" guitarist...ala Joe Bonnamassa.

Ozeshin said:
stratman323 said:
There's nothing wrong with Gary Moore.......

......that a red hot poker wouldn't cure.

and a haircut......

And a facelift...<-------

A facelift would need a very big crane!

richmca said:

Treat yourself to two bottles of Grolsch, the ones with the traditional flip lid. Drink the Grolsch, and use the rubber washers from the lids as two free straploks. Problem solved. :lol:

And while you're buying the Grolsch, get one for me too, will ya.....?

Yes, thanks. I could do with a couple of cool beers.

But it wouldn't have helped in this case because I had straplocks on as it was. It was the button itself that came clean out of the guitar body.

Would never happen on a Tokai, would it?

Ah, that just shows why i don't use Straploks any more! When I used to, I found that they caused the button to work loose by jiggling the screws around and making them work loose in their holes. So I took them off, and the problem has stopped. I'm never using "proper" Straploks again, I think they're a bad engineering principle.

Cheers! :p

Going back to the "Peter Green sound" stuff again....

I know some people have tried the out-of-phase sound on LPs & SGs, but has anyone tried it on a 335? Having just got an ES130, I'm wondering if it might be possible, using a push-pull pot on one of the tone controls.

Anyone tried it?

I'm going to do the same to mine when I get round to it. It's dead easy: you just take it to a tech and go back 10 days later with the dosh. Nightmare if you try it yourself.

I don't think it's going to get me all that close to a Peter Green sound though, any more than my out of phase SG Custom does.

I'm with Mike: I hate "proper" strap locking systems (after having a similar accident to Rich!). I've used Dunlop Lok Straps for years now and never had one fail, even though they're about a quid each.

994-large.jpg

Alan - I've recently tried a couple of those myself, & I'm quite impressed. They're not a huge improvement over Grolsch washers (though they're not orange....), but they're a huge improvement over the ordinary strap-lok devices, and a huge amount cheaper too.

Locking the strap on to the button is one thing, but what about stopping the button/screw coming out of the guitar body? That's what happened to mine.

Vigier have a system on their guitars that they claim prevents that - does anyone know if there's a similar aftermarket system?

richmca said:
Locking the strap on to the button is one thing, but what about stopping the button/screw coming out of the guitar body? That's what happened to mine.

It was probably the straplok that caused the screw to work loose in the first place! Lose the straploks & you lose the problem.

stratman323 said:
Going back to the "Peter Green sound" stuff again....

I know some people have tried the out-of-phase sound on LPs & SGs, but has anyone tried it on a 335? Having just got an ES130, I'm wondering if it might be possible, using a push-pull pot on one of the tone controls.

Anyone tried it?

I think it'd be a huge pain in the ***, but it can be done. Attaching string to the ends of leads and the pots you're removing will help. You may have to remove the entire wiring harness.

If it were my semihollow body, I'd pay someone to do it.

richmca said:

Vigier have a system on their guitars that they claim prevents that - does anyone know if there's a similar aftermarket system?

Grind a slot lengthwise down one side of the thread on the woodscrew that holds the button on. Then pour a little epoxy glue into the hole and refit it all.

The epoxy dries, and because there's a 'tongue' of it actually embedded into the gap left by the ground-out line of thread, it can't come loose.

Worked perfectly on mine. Then again I'm not planning on taking my strap buttons off again.

richmca said:

I had this problem with a couple of Les Paul style guitars particularly with the upper button. And yes, Stratman is right - it does seem to be a common issue with the more expensive straplock systems (schaller etc) but this is more to do with the size/shape of their replacement screw than the nature of the straplock itself. They definately have their flaws, but I don't believe that loosening screws is one of them.

Here's the solution. Unscrew and remove the offending screw/button. Get a matchstick, remove the head and stick the body down the screw hole. Now snap off just enough of the stick so that it doesn't poke out of the hole anymore. Take your shortened stick back out, slather it liberally with wood glue, and put it down the hole again. Screw the strap button back in while its still wet and wait a couple of hours for it to dry.

I don't know how Vigier think they can improve on that, but I've never had any strap button come out or even come loose ever again after that treatment, and that includes two guitars with schaller straplocks!

Rustyslide said:
If it were my semihollow body, I'd pay someone to do it.

I intend to. My local tech says it means running an extra lead off one of the pickups. I wouldn't attempt that myself.

I was just curious to know if anyone else had tried the out of phase sound on a 335 to find out if it was similar to a LP.

Back