Does a Tokai LR sounds like a Gibson LP?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkynassau

Reaction score
Someone just asked me if the Love Rock sounds like a Les Paul, and I dont know. So I figured I'd ask here. They sure made the LR to look like a LP but how close does it come to sounding as good?

Thanks
Funkynassau

There are several differences under the surface. Most are quite minor but they add up.

The pickups will be the biggest factor in sounding like a les paul.

To be honest though, I doubt a casual listener would be able to tell one from the other.

Quote:
Does a Tokai LR sounds like a Gibson LP?

No.

Unfortunately, the internet still doesn't do sarcasm. ;)

To be honest though, I doubt a casual listener would be able to tell one from the other.

IMO, even the biggest "cork sniffer" will be hard pushed to tell the difference.

In all honesty I've played a fair few LPs that don't sound like LPs !! Lol.

There are certainly plenty of pickup options and wiring mods that will take you closer to "that" tone. I'm happy with stock right now, but some of the Bareknuckle offerings do have an appeal.......

I think there are no Les Paul that sounds exactly like the original Les Paul, but there are good , not so good and bad les paul. Love Rock is a good LP.

Drill some holes in the body then you have the newer Gxbson std :lol:

humongous said:
.... Drill some holes in the body then you have the newer Gxbson std :lol:

.... and

gibsonkurzerundlangerhazb5.jpg

swap your Tokai neck with the upper pictured Gibson Les Paul Standard neck :wink:

funkynassau said:
Drill holes in it? I dont think so!

Funkynassau :-?

Hehe :lol:

He's just making fun of Gibson's manufacturing practices. In order to get away with using low grade and heavy tonewoods, gibson drill nine giant holes in the les paul's mahogany body and cover them over with the maple top. This brings the weight right down but leaves you with a partially chambered body, which is NOT part of the 'true' les paul spec.

Gibson are the only makers of LP-type guitars that do this. People like Tokai just use decent wood in the first place.

What crap - and overpriced at that. Send that pic to the lads on the Gibson forum who are so proud of their "real" Les Pauls.

Paladin2019 said:
funkynassau said:
Drill holes in it? I dont think so!

Funkynassau :-?

Hehe :lol:

He's just making fun of Gibson's manufacturing practices. In order to get away with using low grade and heavy tonewoods, gibson drill nine giant holes in the les paul's mahogany body and cover them over with the maple top. This brings the weight right down but leaves you with a partially chambered body, which is NOT part of the 'true' les paul spec.

Gibson are the only makers of LP-type guitars that do this. People like Tokai just use decent wood in the first place.

I just wish Gibson decided to drill weight relief holes in my '79 Deluxe - it might weigh less than 12lbs. then. :)

Jim

I know you guys arent serious about me drilling holes in my "new" guitar!

But I do admit to being new to the world of electric guitars, and that I didnt know about those 9 holes! I assumed it was one big slab of wood, apparently not!

Funkynassau

funkynassau said:
I assumed it was one big slab of wood,

Most people do, and from the outside there's no reason to assume that this isn't the case. The holes and the terrible neck joint tend to come as something of a shock to Gibson fans when they hear it for the first time. Those pictures very quickly became infamous on the internet and many people only believed they were real when it turned out they were from Gibson's own website (a small, secluded page detailing the construction differences between the standard guitars and the high end vintage reissues). After the loud and highly disapproving reaction from the guitar community at large Gibson took the pics off their website, but the genie was already out of the bottle.

Tokai don't use weight relieved wood, and their neck joint contruction is far superior - yet tokai's guitars cost much less. Hmm. Something to think about there.

World's Biggest Woodworm found in Gibson Factory !!!!!

I have a vague recollection of someone from Gibson playing the chambered bodies as an "innovative feature".

In a way it may be true - if any other guitar was built that way it probably wouldn't be such an issue!!!

I wonder why would people still buy the newer Gxbson std, provided that they know 'bout all this, other than brand-concious?

Is there anything on Tokai that's still lacking behind compared to Gxbson's?

I used to be a huge fan of Gibson but the stories just keep getting worse and worse. I absolutely believe the MIJ les pauls are not just better value for money but better quality and due to a bout of GAS i'll end up with a few more too... :D no regrets :D

I did a A-B test against a LP Studio with my LS70F
The Tokai won in all respects with flying colours
I have also a LP Junior (Gibson) can't compare the two as they are totally different guitars

I WILL NOT SELL MY TOKAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back