Does a Tokai LR sounds like a Gibson LP?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leadguitar & hawkeye,

I visited Gallins, down on the strip at Annandale. They are the retail outlet for the G!bsuns here in Oz. (Glad I'm not a dealer nearby).

A shop full of Epis and Gibbos.

All I can say is, if you have a Tokai, you are a lucky member of a club that has the best of both worlds.

The best instrument, and, some money left in your pocket :D

Peter

I A-B'd my LS150 against a Gibbo LP Studio and I am afraid I did prfer the pickups in the Gibbo!

HOWEVER... pickups can be changed and the build quality, playability and finish of the Tokai were far superior... besides other may prefer the tone of the Tokai pups anyway, but for me they lacked brightness... much darker tone... as I say, some may prefer that anyway... horses for courses and all that!

marcusnieman said:
What crap - and overpriced at that. Send that pic to the lads on the Gibson forum who are so proud of their "real" Les Pauls.
Lol Marcus...:p
I own a lovely Gibbo 2000 model '60 "reissue" solid body...no chambers and it's probably THE best Les Paul I've ever played HOWEVER....I never use it to gig with so I bought a 1984 Love Rock to use as my workhorse axe.
It sounds nothing like the Paul but it has a life all of it's own and I love playing it.
Tokai Love Rocks are the ideal stand in as far as I'm concerened and Marcus....even though I own a supurb Les Paul I wouldn't be over on the Les Paul forums for all the cash in the world...snobby bastards.

Sorry guys for bumping an old topic. I thought this is a relevant thread for a simple question I want to ask.

Since what year Gibson started drilling weight relief holes in their standards? Thanks!

Hmmh, good question. I would like to know the answer as well.
Maybe you should pass your inquiry to the experts of the LPF. (Les Paul Forum)
Let us know the result. Ok?

funkynassau said:
Someone just asked me if the Love Rock sounds like a Les Paul, and I dont know. So I figured I'd ask here. They sure made the LR to look like a LP but how close does it come to sounding as good?

I think that even current Gibsons do not sound like Les Pauls :D . The guitar that Slash used in the appetite album was a 59 copy made by a luthier; Chris Derrig. Odd thing bearing in mind that Slash is a Les Paul fanatic. A 58ri or a 59ri from the Gibson custom shop is tagged -/+6000?; http://www.thomann.de/es/gibson_les_paul_1959_voswc.htm

When I decided to purchase a Les Paul I considered the price of Gibson and those weight relief holes and I decided to try the Tokai. I had in mind a change of pick ups but you can get good sounds with the stock pups. I even see myself purchasing a higher Tokai in the future :wink:

I totally dig my Tokai Love Rock. But let's not compare apples to spaceships here. The Tokai pickups and electronics leave a lot to be desired. The good news is that's pretty easy stuff to swap out. The wood on Jap Tokais is good, and the fit and finish is great.

Quality-wise, the Gibson VOS stuff is killer. And I own quite few really nice vintage Gibbos that I truly love. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like to see undeserved bashing of any company, be it Gibson, Tokai, or PRS. We all have our favorites, ya know?

Here's my latest um... aquisition... it doesn't have any holes in the body... :D

big3.jpg

So you mean Tokai is apple and Gibson is spaceship. metaphorically speaking?

I think the main question is that, if you levelled the playing field and used the same pickups in either an MIJ Tokai Love Rock and a Gibson Les Paul Standard, and the same amp & settings with the same player, I really think anyone would be hard pushed to tell the guitars apart.

IMO, FWIW, my two pen'orth.

Skybone said:
I think the main question is that, if you levelled the playing field and used the same pickups in either an MIJ Tokai Love Rock and a Gibson Les Paul Standard, and the same amp & settings with the same player, I really think anyone would be hard pushed to tell the guitars apart.

IMO, FWIW, my two pen'orth.

true! To my ears the SD Seth Lovers do a great job, so I use to put them into all LP style guitars I buy. Both Tokais, a 81 Love Rock LS50 and the LS-50 Reborn I bought of togps, sent the Gibbo 2002 Standard with the same set of pick-ups to the dust! I sold her as -apart from the brand name on the headstock- I couldn't see any justification to keep her.

Guys, do we really need to change the pickup of a tokai? I have both the LS48 and a LS75f Tokai, and have in the past owned a Gibson LP std. Now that I'm using whole different setup I can no longer compare between these two brands.

Do people really favor the pickups in Gibson rather than ones in the Tokai's? I'm really curious about how many people who really dissatisfied with the stock p/up in their tokais, and have actually changed them.

FWIW, I actually love the tones from my LS48 better than the LS75f, harsher and biting esp the bridge. But the Japan one is a looker obviously.

For me, to make a Tokai tonally viable, one needs to swap out most of the electronics, including the pickups. Please don't misinterpret that as a knock - it really isn't. But the pups are pretty bad, compared with even the Gibson USA's, to my ears. I was just commenting on the direction this thread was heading, what with x-rays and pics making it look like Gibson is producing nothing but junk these days.

I agree that Gibson is at a low point in their history, largely thanks to Henry's business model. But don't you revere the design, and the history? Most of our Japanese guitar designs wouldn't exist without the guitars that Gibson built early on. I don't even like the word "copy", although I suppose it's accurate. I think of a Love Rock more as a "tribute" though... an homage to a great guitar design. The very fact that they built them, and that we bought them says "we can not improve on this design".

So back to the question at hand... does a Love Rock sound like a Les Paul? Well, it shouild probably read "can a love rock...", but doesn't the fact that Tokai owners are chasing the look, feel and tone of the Les Paul stand as tribute to the greatness of those guitars?

Here's the way I see it: The build-quality of MIJ Tokais is generally on a par equal to that of Gibson's historic line, yet costs far less. The electronics are nowhere close, but upgrading them doesn't bring the guitar's expense anyhere near a VOS Gibby. Not even half, actually. Much of the reason for this is the incredibly high cost of producing anything in the USA. Whatever the reason, the truth is that the Tokai is much better bang for the buck. Let's just not forget where the design came from. :)

Well said Frankie.
I think you will find that once you get up into the LS150 range the electronics are every bit as good as Gibson Historic. They use vintage Western Electric cloth wiring, CTS pots, Orange drop caps, etc. RS guitarworks sells those parts as an electrical up-grade to Gibson guitars so they seem to be top notch. I have even found the MK1's quite satisfying in tone though I'm sure it's all subjective. I dropped Seth Lovers into mine which the LS320's come stock with and they are supperb.
BTW Frankie, the recording on your website sound great. :D

Yes Gibson are making junks nowadays, for the price/specs/built of a standard they deserved to be called junk. And for the price of a historic reissue they should be called rich kid's toys.

I dont think I've read a post in this thread stating that their japanese counterparts plays better than the original, vintage gibson.

Although, in the end people would hit the record when they've found what they like, no matter even if it's a cheap plywood guitar.

Back