Which model would you recommend?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Reaction score
I guess a little introduction would be fitting. Yep, another new member here, name is Jonny and I found this place via hans-j?rgen who I saw posting over on the forums at www.guitars.co.uk I do not currently own a Tokai, but as my being here kinda signals, that may soon change. I'm 21, an' live in Northern Ireland, born and raised. :D I dig bands/artists such as Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Velvet Revolver, Foo Fighters, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ozzy Osbourne and Thin Lizzy. Look forward to talkin' with ya'll. :p

Onto business, so to say. I'll try ta sum it up. I've been thinkin' of my next guitar, started my search a few months back. I am looking for a quality guitar, y'know, a keeper, a guitar to gig with if and when that time comes. I've narrowed it to just two guitars, and two, perhaps three companies. The guitars are the Les Paul and the SG. The companies are Tokai, Gibson, and the possible outside option of a Gordon Smith. My price limit is ?800/EUR 1,190/$1,500. I live in Northern Ireland, and will not be ordering from outside the UK. My musical influences are blues, rock, classic rock. My favorite guitarist is Slash, he would be the main reason I got into this guitar stuff. :wink: Eric Clapton too. Guns N' Roses (Slash) had the sound I would most like to get, Aerosmith (Joe Perry) too. Anyway, my knowledge of Tokai is very, very slim. I have never played a Tokai either, but between reading up on reviews and other guitarists opinions on Tokai they have more than got my attention. I have been leaning more towards the SG, the two being a Tokai SG60 and a Gibson SG Special. Both are ?599, which is well under my ?800 budget, leaving enough for a hardcase, a new jack cable, a quality strap and so on and so forth, y'know. I would spend the entire ?800 if the right guitar was to come along. I am not in need of a new amp at this point in time, so it's of no immediate concern. Reasons for the SG over the Les Paul (Love Rock) being; it has better access to the upper frets and is lighter in weight. I do realise the Les Paul and SG differ in sound, the Les Paul comes across as more of a "full" sound, whereas the SG will be more "biting" and "immediate" as it was nicely put by another.

The reason for my thread is to ask which Tokai models of both the Love Rock and the SG would you recommend knowing my musical influences and ?800 budget? I would like some opinions on the SG60 especially, if possible. Chances are I will be buying without trying, online, it's why I am so keen to find out as much as I can before I commit to a decision.

Cheers. 8)

Midnight said:
The reason for my thread is to ask which Tokai models of both the Love Rock and the SG would you recommend knowing my musical influences and ?800 budget?
SG is Angus, Les Paul is Slash... ;)
No, wait... SG is Eric Clapton in Cream, Les Paul is Billy Gibbons... ;) ;)

I'm somewhat into AC/DC, Angus can sure play. :p I love Eric Clapton's stuff, the man is a legend. Slash is as I said though, the main reason I went and got myself a guitar and started playing. :D Joe Perry and Steve Clark are two other guitarists I really like, well liked in respect to Steve Clark who passed away. :( So Angus and Clapton, for the SG. Slash, Steve Clark and Joe Perry for the Les Paul. I was leanin' towards the SG more so for it's light weight, and superb access to the upper frets. I asked this on another board... Not that my play is gonna focus around just emulating other guitarists, but out of interest, how will the SG hold up in attempting to play some Guns N' Roses style music, some Aerosmith? Can it get close to a Slash an' Joe Perry Les Paul sound? Got the answer... "I don't think the sound is as "full" as a Les Paul - seems a bit more "biting" and "immediate" to me. But I don't think you'd have any problem pulling off Slash impressions. Or Joe Perry for that matter, the neck pickup can sound real smooth. As usual, the best thing is to try one out..."

I got a few questions about the Love Rock series. The LS60, LS65, LS70F, and LS75Q. The LS60 and LS65 are ?599, but the LS70F is ?748.99, and the LS75Q is ?799. What warrents the difference in price? They all have mahogany set necks, rosewood fingerboards and LS-VB bridges with LS-VT tailpieces. PAF Vintage Mk2 pickups come as standard in each of them. They are alike in that they all have mahogany backs, but then a difference comes in that the LS60 has a Maple top, the LS65 has a Maple 2-pcs top, the LS70F has a flamed sycamore top, and the LS75Q has a Quilted maple top. Is this the only difference, and what will this change in terms of sound of each guitar? Anyone got an exact, or a ball park figure of what the weight is on these guitars?

I do apologise for all the questions, but there is some good news for ya'll. I don't have any questions left really, it's down to my making a choice between an SG and a Les Paul, which I'll decide by playing 'em. I've found out all the little bits of information about each, and some others from askin' around boards, and torturing a few guys down the local guitar stores with questions. :wink:

Midnight said:
I got a few questions about the Love Rock series. The LS60, LS65, LS70F, and LS75Q. The LS60 and LS65 are ?599, but the LS70F is ?748.99, and the LS75Q is ?799. What warrents the difference in price? They all have mahogany set necks, rosewood fingerboards and LS-VB bridges with LS-VT tailpieces. PAF Vintage Mk2 pickups come as standard in each of them. They are alike in that they all have mahogany backs, but then a difference comes in that the LS60 has a Maple top, the LS65 has a Maple 2-pcs top, the LS70F has a flamed sycamore top, and the LS75Q has a Quilted maple top. Is this the only difference, and what will this change in terms of sound of each guitar? Anyone got an exact, or a ball park figure of what the weight is on these guitars?

The weight is average for les pauls - anywhere between 8 and 10 lbs.

You've spotted the difference between those models. The 60 has a 3 piece top and solid finishes. The 65 has a 2-piece plaintop, the 70F a 2 piece with a flamed veneer, the 75Q a 2-piece with a quilt veneer. So basically, it's all down to cosmetics and nothing to do with the sound. Some even claim that a veneer top could potentially harm the guitar's tone, but the jury is out on that one and there's not a whole lot of supporting evidence. Regardless, the 65 is easily the best value for money in the series.

And now you want a better picture? ;) Anyhow, it's the lowest Japanese model with a 2-piece plain maple top, so you can have a look at any new LS75, too, e.g. at Ishibashi.

Yes, the lowest Japanese model in the 2003-2004 catalog is the LS70 in black, gold, cherry sunburst or violin finish, but probably with a three piece maple top. The next model with a plain two piece solid maple top is the LS75 in cherry sunburst or violin finish, i.e. like the older LS65 from Regent. Another difference might be the mahogany back with either three or two pieces.

Back