What do I need to know when buying a Tokai ST-80?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Abbott

Reaction score
Hi

I'm wanting to buy a late 70's to early 80's Tokai ST-80. The guitar has to have a V neck, and all maple fingerboard. I would very much prefer if the guitar also had an ash body.

How do I know if a guitar is an ST-80 or an ST-50?

How do I know what year the guitar was built?

I did see the stuff on the home page but I didn't understand it.

I've seen some of these guitars sold with gig bags, this strikes me a little odd that they don't come with a case.

I look forward to your advice.

Regards

Mark

Mark Abbott said:
How do I know if a guitar is an ST-80 or an ST-50?

ST80 should have "E" pups, nitro finish, V-neck? (not sure all have Vs), 2 piece body. All features an ST55 doesn't have.

Mark Abbott said:
I'm wanting to buy a late 70's to early 80's Tokai ST-80..

How do I know what year the guitar was built?

Spaghetti logo are the early ones

Roughly:
'77 ↔ '78 serial stamp in body neck pocket /small neck plate
'78 ↔ '82 serial stamp in body neck pocket /1st digit neckplate number

(guys, correct me if I'm wrong here)

Thanks for reading my posts and replying Felix.

One of the obvious problems is parts have been replaced over the years; pots would be typical and quite acceptable, though pickups are the next item to be replaced with whatever was fashionable at the time.

I have seen a couple of supposed ST-80's with either no logo or a Fender logo on them.

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/1980_Tokai_ST-80_Springy_Sound_1957_Strat_Replica.html

I'm still curious about cases versus gig bags, did models like the ST-80 really come with gig bags instead of tweed cases?

They never came with tweed cases. Here's a comprehensive post with photos that I put up of a 1980 ST80M(aple fretboard) that I bought this year.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22623&highlight=st80

I also found a 1980 ST80R(osewood fretboard) that I bought later. Same case. I put up pics of it too but I can't find the post.

If you do a forum search under ST80 and read up on them, many of your questions will be answered.

I did some reading up on posts, but I found guys asking the same sort of questions as me. Reading your post it confirms the ST-80's may have been available in a hard case. I'd have to continue reading.

I love your ST-80, I hope I find one like it.

Back