Vintage Tokai Goldstar Stratocaster 1982 Sonic Blue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigmania said:
And I don't know which model it would be called...

It has U pickups, so that puts it at the ST50 level, but the "SO" paint job was a 5,000 yen up charge, and the matching head stock was another 5,000 yen.

Maybe ST50+5+5 R....

So do you think you think this would've been sold as an ST60 even with U pups due to the +5 paint and +5 headstock?

I've just bought one exactly the same, sonic blue block logo, painted headstock and it has an ST60 sticker. It hasn't arrived yet and the seller has never had the pick guard off. I'm expecting U pups like this one, will have to see. I would've thought if it has E Pups it would be at least ST65.

Congratulations. There seems to be some inconsistencies with the paint upgrades and what sticker is put on. Sometimes it has a higher sticker, sometimes not.

And I don’t know if you would call it an ST50 with upgrades or an ST60?

I tend to think of these as ST50s + because the bones are an ST50.

I have a rare ST70 in metallic green. It should be an ST75 with that color, but they hand painted, in the metallic green color itself the code ST70S inside the pickup rout.

So it’s not clear. You can call it either I guess. Doesn’t change what it is. I would call it rare and congratulations!

Please post pics in the block logo gallery if you can. Bet it looks sweet.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26253

Would be curious to see if yours was a base of an ST60 plus the upgrades, rather than the ST50 base.

Do let us know if it has the E pickups.

It's a keeper! So it's got U Pups but it's badged ST60. It's in great clean condition, only the screw holes where a locking nuts seems to have been but I will get those repaired. Doesn't seem to have seen much light so I might be able to get a close colour match to touch up the repair. Original (well worn) case and guarantee card. Think it can be safely dated to May 1983. So it would appear ST50 + SO paint ST55 + painted headstock = ST60

8neDZ93.jpg

t8sdQse.jpg

Ia2V5tR.jpg

hPU6KoO.jpg

4x7tEct.jpg

RDdCLxj.jpg

WrULxsb.jpg

4euWbkY.jpg

sI2BMK4.jpg

That’s a beauty! Definitely a good score and worth the effort to restore the area where they drilled it. Good luck and thanks for sharing the pics and info!

Back