• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

'Villager' a.k.a japanguitars.co.uk 'Greco'

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my experience the 1200 necks are fatter than the 1000's,

and the 1200's just sound better...but that could be just the PU's..

also 1200 is much rarer than the 1000's..

remember that when they were made there was only a 20% difference in price, the difference nowadays is the collectabilty factor, and the DRY-Z/1200 combination has some strange magic,

having said that there's no reason that i can see why some DRY-Z's in a fat necked 1000 should not sound very similar, but as I haven't done that i couldn't actually say for sure..

Now that "peace has broken out" and we are all friends, lets all by Villager's guitars at 50% off! :wink: :wink:

btmish said:
Now that "peace has broken out" and we are all friends, lets all by Villager's guitars at 50% off! :wink: :wink:

YES! That sounds excellent!!! I'll buy all the tokais and grecos.

I'll just add my piece here as a recent EGF1200 owner (via Mark).

It really isn't possible to appreciate just how good an axe the EGF1200 is without getting hold of one. My ex-LS-120 Reborn Old had it too - sheer 'class'. I've had a great number of axes over the past 35 years from all countries and most makers and know when something's special. It's no accident that these instruments cost alot of money when first made, reflecting the quality wood and materials used and the care taken over them. Add nearly 30 years of use and ageing, awesome pickups, and 'moving' flame tops, and it's a formidable combination.

Yep, they're an awful lot of money, but check Yahoo out, that's the going rate these days in Japan (after adding shipping, taxes etc). Mark's not setting the market price, people like me are by paying it. But I know I've got value for money and that the bargain JV days are over. If I'd gone for an 850/1000 I think I'd always have wondered what the 1200 would be like and I'm very happy and content with the choice I made.

BTW, similar experience to Maxhombre - hand on heart - my luthier said my EGF's the best Les Paul he's ever heard!

Excuse for a pic methinks:

IMG_7441.jpg

snakehips said:
I'll just add my piece here as a recent EGF1200 owner (via Mark).

It really isn't possible to appreciate just how good an axe the EGF1200 is without getting hold of one. My ex-LS-120 Reborn Old had it too - sheer 'class'. I've had a great number of axes over the past 35 years from all countries and most makers and know when something's special. It's no accident that these instruments cost alot of money when first made, reflecting the quality wood and materials used and the care taken over them. Add nearly 30 years of use and ageing, awesome pickups, and 'moving' flame tops, and it's a formidable combination.

Yep, they're an awful lot of money, but check Yahoo out, that's the going rate these days in Japan (after adding shipping, taxes etc). Mark's not setting the market price, people like me are by paying it. But I know I've got value for money and that the bargain JV days are over. If I'd gone for an 850/1000 I think I'd always have wondered what the 1200 would be like and I'm very happy and content with the choice I made.

BTW, similar experience to Maxhombre - hand on heart - my luthier said my EGF's the best Les Paul he's ever heard!

Excuse for a pic methinks:

IMG_7441.jpg

Very Nice!!

Hey Mark - with this one (as you should know), I didn't need the flash on to bring the flame out...just a steady hand!

Hi,
I'm new on the forum and i discovered this topic as i was looking for some infos about Japanguitars.co.uk !
I discovered them recently but i read on the website that it's specified they are closed from end of Nov to end of March unfortunately !
Anybody know if they are really closed now ?
Is there any other seller / website for those type of guitars ?

There are many places to find MIJ guitars (ebay, Yahoo auctions, other forums, etc). You could be lucky and the perfect guitar for you might pop up quite quickly. However, its more likely that it will take some time for the right instrument to become available. I recently bought a Tokai from Mark and I can honestly say that he was a very decent, straightforward man to deal with. His prices are (in some people's opinion) a little on the high side, but they are consistent with the cost of finding guitars in Japan and covering his costs + a small profit. However, you will have peace of mind in buying from a highly respected seller who deals only in high quality MIJ instruments. I think the site is closed for business as Mark is travelling. My advice is to do plenty of homework and ask questions on this and other forums to determine exactly what you want and patiently wait until it becomes available, either from Mark or another reputable seller. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your answer !
Unfortunately i had not seen he would be closed for 4 months, so i was ready to buy a vintage one from the late 70's-early 80's , after i had checked which were the high end ones i look for , so it's a bit frustrating but anyway i have no other choice than waiting or trying to find something somewhere else !
I am also checking the late 90's - early 2000 Gibson ones, as anyway it seems the really interesting japanese vintage ones are not cheap on top of beeing rare , so i might find one of these more easily !

Superlead said:
I am also checking the late 90's - early 2000 Gibson ones, as anyway it seems the really interesting japanese vintage ones are not cheap on top of beeing rare , so i might find one of these more easily !
Don't buy anything less than a Historic.
There were some very good ones late 90's early 2000's and some with documented braz boards as well.
You know the deal - 57 has a massive neck, 58 still pretty big, 59 getting slimmer and the final slim profile came with the 1960 Reissue?

If the Historics are too pricey or you're not in the US (where you'll have a good selection at reasonable prices) I would recommend going vintage Japan.

In both cases buy from a reputable seller when you're spending this sort of money.

A great seller..Buy in confidance !

I've bought from him two guitars and the transaction were RIGHT !!

Hope to buy from him as soon as possible...

Latest posts

Back