• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

'Villager' a.k.a japanguitars.co.uk 'Greco'

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
villager said:
its always my pleasure to share my experience, and inform and enlighten you...

Mark, you are a wealth of knowledge here, and I am quite sure that without your shared knowledge, the Tokai Forum and the MIJ community at large would be a much less desirable village (couldn't help that :lol: )

I believe that I speak for many here, and myself included; thanks for all of your contributions (admonishments not included :wink: )

cheers rich,

thats nice to know..i really appreciate it a lot.

I know we have our disagreements on various points, but done in a constructive, positive and humerous way (i didn't really mean it about the dog.!!) I think it adds to the knowledge base here, even if it may seem combatative at times!! free and frank discussion of, and argument over, different opinions, can only lead to to a better understanding overall.

8) :lol: :D

Group hug! :D

Seriously, it is good to share information for the betterment of the sport, as they say. Thanks to all of you.

Now, where's that rare Greco that I ........... need? :lol:

Maxhombre said:
Who cares about whether its laminate top or not? - to me guitars are for playing not collecting - all I know is I've never played a guitar as good as this one before with that rare 'mojo' that almost plays itself - and I should know because I used to work for Gibson on the endorsement side of things and I have played hundreds of Gibson guitars with mega price tags that don't even come close to this Greco......

its just simply a case of you don't know what you are missing till you try it.....the cheaper model's are great I've got another 1980 Les Paul super Real a cheaper model and its great - better than the Gibson equivalent currently out there - but pay a bit more and go to the top end Greco models and its off the hook!......

It reminds me of when people hum and hah'd about paying out 10-15k for a 1959 Les Paul - now days anyone would rip someones arm off to pay that for one now! that time is long gone....and thats why we are looking at Greco's....well trust me the top end Greco's will go that way so have a little vision and look a couple of years down the line when these guitars will fetch double that!....

So do yourself a favour and find a reputable seller like 'Villager' who actually know's his stuff inside out and handpick's all the guitars he sell's personally - plug in a EGF1200 with the dry Z' pickups and then tell me its not worth every **** penny!!.......

Bottom line - "You get what you pay for"

Maxhombre, As I stated earlier, "sincerely hope you're happy with your EGF-1200; I'm sure it's a great sounding & very special Lester"

I was only expressing my opinion concerning laminate tops versus solid tops, and a price range in which I would consider to be acceptable to my wallet, for such examples; nothing more & nothing less.

My opinion on laminate tops versus solid tops has nothing to do whatsoever with the amount of money that others are willing to relinquish for any guitar that they fancy, no matter the materials used, or the construction of the guitar.

Please enjoy your very rare bird :)

javascript:emoticon(':)')Thanks MIJ - I just love this guitar thats all - its got that one in a million mojo - you only find guitars like this one once or twice in your life if your lucky.....I took it into the top pro guitar shop over here where Clapton/Beck/Townsend/ Page/ go - they really know their stuff down there and they just gasped when they heard it plugged in.....they were speechless.....so word is out!

Also don't forget that $3k in America is a lot of dough - over here in UK-sterling this is a resonable amount for such an ace guitar - for example a Gibson Historic over here would be $8-10k in U.S money........I think its just a case of the lost in translation UK/U.S dollar/pound thing.....ie: you pay $2 for petrol we have to pay $6

As Villager say's until you've tried the high end Greco's models with the Dry Z pickups you will never understand why they are priced accordingly....play one and you will never go back.....

hey steve, if Charlie says its amazing then its amazing..nice to hear that cos I knew anyway, but when the best regarded luthier in the UK says something..thats an opinion of a man who knows...

Sigh! Threads like this should be fobidden, they give me so much GAS :eek:

Btw, what are the specs for the EG1200?
2 piece back? 1 piece neck? Weight? etc.. Please add :)

nearly always 2 piece centre seamed back, fat lovely 1 piece neck, nitro finish, 18 deg HS angle, fret binding, laminate flametop, Greco DRY-Z Pickups, 500k pots and high qualty caps, vintage wiring, greco deep neck joint, um cant think of any more right now..

Yeah, I stepped up to a 1200 at the end of last year..so it's been about 3 months,seems like it's been longer that that...feels like I've owned it for years....definitely the best guitar I've ever played or owned....do I care if it's laminate? Not in the least....But Ok,if you want to be picky about it,I guess you can say that's one negative you could find with them.Also, the 2 piece back instead of one piece.But there's a reason they are worth the money,it's less about the laminate top,more about the high quality construction and MOJO ,mostly about the DRY-Z pickups which are worth big bucks by themselves..

Maxhombre said:
....play one and you will never go back.....

Max,

Congrats on your purchase ... I'm happy that you're happy ... you can believe me !!! You've got a wonderful axe ... 8)

But - if I read such biased statements ... it's simply turning me on and I have to jump in ...
What are we talking about here ??? About nice MIJ guitars and there are alot of them out there ...
If I want to receive biased comments I'd go to the 'Other forum' ( If I'd get access to it ... :roll: ) where people refuse to accept others but their sponsored brand ...
Those statements say that others who don't own one or had never played such a guitar are unaware how a good an axe has to sound ... and that's not true - simply ******** ... and I don't like this way how MIJVintage was silenced ... only because he hadn't ...
OK - perhaps it was the wrong moment to ask for the top at this place ... but why shouldn't that be allowed here ???
... and he's not alone with his opinion that someone has to look for the biggest bang for the buck, specs which are really superior, playability and feel and whatsoever ...
I have also a laminated LP-type guitar but I know ... it's a nice sounding axe - but not more ... but I didn't pay that amount for it ...
Mark - no offense - your guitars are outstanding and I'm on your web site every 2 days ... but you're asking too much for them ( just for me, mate :wink: ) although it's an open market where demand rules the price ... that's the reason why I didn't buy from you (yet) ...

So - I would like to come back to a level of tolerance and respect on this beautiful place ... where people are allowed to say what is on the tip of their tongue ... not being bashed if they calculate their approach wrongly or considering well what someone could find to be misplaced - you also can cope with it instead of being bully ...
My 2 cents ... rant over ...

all my prices will be going up by 15% next week as a result of tudors post above...

they are my guitars and if I choose to share them by selling them I will charge whatever i like...

by the way tudor...do you have an EGF-1200? or have YOU ever played one?
just out of interest... :eek: :roll:

villager said:
all my prices will be going up by 15% next week as a result of tudors post above...

they are my guitars and if I choose to share them by selling them I will charge whatever i like...

by the way tudor...do you have an EGF-1200?

lol, that should help sales :lol: ...........................

sales volume has never been a major concern of mine.

and neither have the opinions of non customers or other dealers concerning the way i choose to run my business.

heh maxhombre will never sell that old greco..

villager said:

Mark,
that wasn't my intention either nor to offend you ... I do respect you in all concerns and if my opinion has given reason to feel offended ... I apologize for that deeply !!!
I should have said "I can't afford them" instead of saying that "you're asking too much for them" ...
As I've also purchased in Japan already I know that the calculation in Europe is something special with all the duties and taxes and whatever ...

What I actually meant was that we should tolerate other opinions as well as we like to be tolerated by others ... nothing else ...

Roger

Latest posts

Back