Tokai P90 pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or there is Jimmie:

JimmieVaughan.jpg

Or maybe Gary Moore?

BulldogChampsBossWhiteEnglish.jpg

Anyway, back to pickups.

Bluefinger said:
I have all my p90 guitars and some humbucker ones wired out of phase.

I assume that only having a 2 conductor cable doesn't cause problems when the P90s are out of phase? Because when it's out of phase, the outer braided cable becomes hot, & the hot wire becomes the ground.

I know that can cause problems on metal covered HBs, but are plastic covered P90s OK?

stratman323 said:
Anyway, back to pickups.

Bluefinger said:
I have all my p90 guitars and some humbucker ones wired out of phase.

I assume that only having a 2 conductor cable doesn't cause problems when the P90s are out of phase? Because when it's out of phase, the outer braided cable becomes hot, & the hot wire becomes the ground.

I know that can cause problems on metal covered HBs, but are plastic covered P90s OK?

No, the outer cable needs to stay ground, otherwise you'll run into trouble. The shieldings will touch those of other wires and probably some pot housings. All you need to do is flip the magnets on one pickup ... that's it. You don't even need to desolder any wires or even go into the control cavity for that. Just remove the strings and unscrew the two screws holding the pickup in place. Loosen the two screws on the bottom of the pickup and gently pry loose the base plate. Then gently pry loose the two magnets on either side of the pole pieces (they'll come off easily as well) and flip them in a way that the sides that faced towards the pole pieces before are now facing outside. Reattach the base plate and the pickup and you are all set. It's even easier than it sounds. Just be gentle and don't rip out any wires.

One note tho: If the pickup was wax potted you will lose some of that because the wax around the magnets will peel off as you remove them. I don't need no wax potting myself but high gain players might need it.

But if you flip the magnet, you lose the option of having the pickups in phase - that's no good.

Mick51 said:
Exactly. So, that's why P-90's need to be RP / RW when they are wound.

Sorry, I don't understand that. I have the Tokai P90s wired through a push/pull pot to give me in phase/out of phase. What's wrong with that?

stratman323 said:
Mick51 said:
Exactly. So, that's why P-90's need to be RP / RW when they are wound.

Sorry, I don't understand that. I have the Tokai P90s wired through a push/pull pot to give me in phase/out of phase. What's wrong with that?

Nothing if everything is connected and isolated propperly. If it works it probably is.

The only benefit of RW/RP is hum cancelling when both pickups are used together. There are no other side effects, neither positive nor negative.

Hum doesn't bother me - I'm used to Strats.

:lol:

My Bare Knuckles have arrived. The only problem I can see is that the Tokai pickups are plastic wrapped around the ground wire. The BKs just have bare braided wire around the central core. So if the two bare wires touch in the control cavity, could that cause problems?

Also, I can't get the b*$%!@ neck pickup to come out of it's hole, even after removing the two screws. :evil: Do Tokai glue them in place? :eek:

stratman323 said:
Hum doesn't bother me - I'm used to Strats.

:lol:

My Bare Knuckles have arrived. The only problem I can see is that the Tokai pickups are plastic wrapped around the ground wire. The BKs just have bare braided wire around the central core. So if the two bare wires touch in the control cavity, could that cause problems?

Also, I can't get the b*$%!@ neck pickup to come out of it's hole, even after removing the two screws. :evil: Do Tokai glue them in place? :eek:

Yup, non isolated pickups will cause problems ... complete silence to be exact :lol: . You'll need to isolate it first with shrinking hose.

They should come out rather easily. What if you pull on the pickup covers? Do the covers come off at least? Strange ... maybe you should bang the guitar against a concrete wall a couple of times ... that should do the trick :)

BTW ... you have an LS85S, right? This is the proof that they have different pickups than the LS160S. Mine has non isolated pickup wires.

Bluefinger said:
Yup, non isolated pickups will cause problems ... complete silence to be exact :lol: . You'll need to isolate it first with shrinking hose.

They should come out rather easily. What if you pull on the pickup covers? Do the covers come off at least? Strange ... maybe you should bang the guitar against a concrete wall a couple of times ... that should do the trick :)

Aha, I'm glad I asked you! OK, I forgive you for being able to see Alex play this evening! :lol: I guess I had better go and buy some shrinking hose, or whatever it's called.

There's nothing to grip on the pickup casing, so I can't pull it. The bridge one came out fine, but the neck seems to like it where it is.

I'm getting close to banging it on the wall!

:evil:

Bluefinger said:
BTW ... you have an LS85S, right? This is the proof that they have different pickups than the LS160S. Mine has non isolated pickup wires.

Correct. I'm not surprised to hear that - most things on yours are supposed to be upgraded versions of what I have on mine, better pickups, caps, pots, switch, tailpiece etc. Thats why the 145/160 costs a lot more money!

stratman323 said:
Bluefinger said:

Correct. I'm not surprised to hear that - most things on yours are supposed to be upgraded versions of what I have on mine, better pickups, caps, pots, switch, tailpiece etc. Thats why the 145/160 costs a lot more money!

Well that doesn't mean that it's necessarely the better guitar. I have all kinds of Gibsons and my most boring one is a Custom Shop '58 Les Paul Reissue which is supposed to have all the good stuff. And the nicest one doesn't even say "Gibson" on the headstock :wink: ... a good guitar is a good guitar, to hell with specs 8)

Another thought ... maybe you should blow real hard into the output jack to make the neck pickup pop out :lol: I think I should write a book on guitar tech secrets ...

I'm beginning to wish I never started this! How the hell do you get the wire from the new neck pickup to feed through that tiny hole all the way to the control cavity?

:evil:

Back