Tokai neck - truss rod repair

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madforit

Reaction score
Hello. I bought no name neck on eBay, but I think the numbers say it's Tokai for Strat-type guitar. Seems truss rod nut is missing. Does anyone know if original Fender replacement fits to Tokai?
Cheers, Tomas

s-l1600 (1).jpg

That looks like a possible V neck rosewood board neck off an ST80? Circa 1979-1981?

No idea what the thread would be. Those had a hex nut up until almost 1981 I believe.

IMG_9846.JPG

Hmmmm. 22 frets...

Not so sure now what it is from.

Re-drilled too for a different body.

Thinking Super or Custom Edition now. Just looked at your pictures. Holes drilled for locking nut or bar style string guide on the headstock.

CF732C92-5EB1-41AC-A9E4-166201EC42C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have better pictures of the headstock front and back?

Looks like it may have been a painted headstock that was stripped?

5CAD3FC4-CD18-48BD-9C90-971174336993.jpeg

I just realized something that adds another wrinkle. The Custom Edition 22 fret necks are diving boards I believe.

Maybe Super Edition? Need to check pics of those. They typically had painted necks but some just had painted headstocks.

I take my hat off to your knowledge. Unfortunately these photos are from eBay, the neck is still on the way. I am doing research before neck comes in. That last photo is accurate. I think these tuning mechanics fits to the holes from my photo.

I have to figure out zero fret, find right tunig mechanics and especialy the nut for truss rod

How much did you pay for it? I am wondering if it is worth the effort?

It was ok, 25$. I will see if it´s worth when it arrives. Sorry just lost in translation - what do you mean ´diving boards’? 🙂

MIJ guitars are metric, so a Fender nut won't fit. Most use M6 truss nuts, but M5 does turn up as well. Off the bat, I can't remember for sure which one was used on Tokai Strat copies, though, but M6 is probably the most likely. Unless you can figure out a way to accurately measure the diameter of the truss thread down in the nut well, buy one of each and see which fits. Most guitar parts vendors should have them, they're probably around 5-6 USD each.

Back