Tokai es-120 finish - poly or nitro?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 2005 ES-100 and a 2005 ES-120

The ES-120 reaked of nitro upon opening the case, which of course did not happen upon opening the ES-100 case

The ES-120 had that tacky feel of nitro :evil: that the ES-100 did not have :)

The ES-120 also weighed in at 1/2 pound heavier than the ES-100

The ES-100 had better playability & sounded better too 8) and was finished in poly :lol: ............................

stratman323 said:
Alpedra said:
BTW, does anyone know if the lower end MIJ Tokais are "ester" or "urethane"?

The Japanese have almost always used polyurethane rather than polyester, which is probably they're always described as "thin poly" when people are selling them.

China, Korea, the US, anyone, really. Polyester coatings are a slightly newer adoption and easier to layer. Polyurethane is what replaced nitro as car lacquer; polyester is harder still and keeps that piano-like shine.

The Fender website says the US Standard Strat is urethane finished. Is that the same as polyurethane? Where has Poly gone? :eek:

Customs? You mean Custom Shop stuff? All the vintage re-isse stuff is nitro (real, soft nitro!), the more "modern" stuff is polysomethingorother. The only Fender stuff I can see on the website that has a polyester finish is some of the cheaper Squier kit.

Yup, the custom shop stuff - especially the artist models; even the ridiculous ?3500 RRP J5 Tele I had was poly finished.

Edit: urethane, not ester. You'll find polyester on lower end stuff by all companies as like I said it's easier to layer, and thick finishes are easier to apply as you don't have to worry so much about blems.

OK, so I guess the way to remember is that polyester makes cheap & nasty clothing, & a cheap & nasty guitar finish.

8)

Edit - I've been checking on Fender specs. I had decided that I really should try a Jimmie Vaughan Strat, as so many people rave about them. But I see that the neck is a satin urethane finish, while the body is polyester. No wonder they felt plasticky when I last tried one!

Back