Tokai & competitors: who is the best?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter S.

Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone compared current Tokai Les P. models with current models of these Japanese competitors:

- Greco (www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/greco/)
- Burny (www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fernandes/burny/)
- Epiphone Elite (http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/epiphone/elite/elite.htm)

? Are these guitars comparable in sound/quality or is one manufacturer the clear winner?

I read on harmony central that the Epiphone Elite guitars e.g. have a solid carved top as compared to the laminated top on the Tokai LS-80F/LS-120F. If this is true, is this a huge advantage of the Epiphone model?

Very best wishes

-Peter-

Old Grecos and Burnys from the 70s and 80s are becoming harded to find at good prices because they are getting popular in Japan. There were several models offered then and not all were top of the line so ya gotta be careful. When reading descriptions at the Japanese sites, remember what they call cracks we call scratches.
I own 2 Greco strats from the late 70s are they are great. Also have a Tokai strat from `84 and a Les Paul Reborn Tokai from `78 that was modified when I bought it ... both are outstanding. Have seen the Elites but never played one.

My own opinion: 1-Tokai LS-70 2001
2-BURNY LC-60 (OLD)(YEAR UNKNOWN)
3-greco eg-800 1.977

i HAVE TRIED THESE ALL AT THE TIME AND i PREFER tOKAI NO DOUBT.bURNY WAS NICE BUT A SLIM NECK.gRECO WAS A TIPICAL lp FROM 70'S(volute,heavy,etc....)

Back