The wait is over!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another fine example of a P90 goldtop .... played by the incomparable and always entertaining, Junior Watson. Dig this tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btXjDXkdWvA&feature=related

Regarding the tone of P90s... if you like humbuckers, and if all you need are classic rock levels of dirt, you'll probably like them. I hear them described as a halfway house between Fender-style single coils and humbuckers, and i'd sort of agree, except to my ears (the ones I've tried, anyway), they sound a lot closer to humbuckers than to Fender-style single coils. Output-wise, they have a similar output to PAF-style humbuckers (assuming you haven't gone for hot p90s), they are a lot rawer/grittier than humbuckers (which tend to be smoother), don't have as tight a bass, and also have a bit of the high-end that single coils tend to have (and which humbuckers tend to cancel out). They still have that general warm and fat tone that humbuckers have, and will drive an amp in a similar way. Like other single coils, they don't cancel the noise that humbuckers do.

As already mentioned, several pickup manufacturers offer humbuckers in p90 size, so that'd be the way to go if you decide you don't like p90s. I haven't tried them, though, so I don't know how close they get to a "real" humbucker in tone, though I'm guessing it's closer than a p90 gets.[/quote]

Thanks for the discreption.. I think we'll get along superb then.. I will se how "bad" the hum is, but I dont suspect it'll give me much of a headache..

John: I read your review.. Thank you for sharing your insight.

This Tokai thing (or MIJ-thing) is really addictive huh??

Mark

marcusnieman said:
I can't answer to the fitting of the Alnico pickups.... if they are a different size than the standard soapbar P90's or if they are a dogear configuration, they won't fit ..... or it would involve routing out the pickup cavities. There are plenty of other replacement soapbar pickups that are a drop in fit if you don't like the factory pickups...... like you said, play it first for awhile before you replace anything.

The Alnico single coils should fit, but they have different mounting points to P90 pickups (at two corners rather than in the middle of the soap bar). The only other concern is the depth of the routing on the guitar.

Check these pics out (scroll down for the neck pickup route):
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7099&p=98908

So, the depth looks ok, but you'd have to put in some small blocks of wood at the corners for the pickups to mount onto, or use long screws down into the body with springs to hold the pickup in place.
It's the same deal with using mini humbuckers actually - they have the mounting screws at the edges, so a couple of new holes need to be put into the aluminium bar in the pickup cavity (or body if there's no bar).

MIJ addictive??...before I discovered this forum I only had 2 guitars - one for live and one for back-up...I thought that was all you needed...since finding out about Tokai I've bought another 7 guitars...all Tokai...and still I want another Breezy...oh, and I'd love to try a Bacchus sometime...then I think I ought to have a white custom to go with my black custom....oh, and a TV yellow Junior double-cut is still absolutely necessary...

Will it ever end....?

Hope you found my review from 2008 useful...

John.

Johny642000 said:
MIJ addictive??...before I discovered this forum I only had 2 guitars - one for live and one for back-up...I thought that was all you needed...since finding out about Tokai I've bought another 7 guitars...all Tokai...and still I want another Breezy...oh, and I'd love to try a Bacchus sometime...then I think I ought to have a white custom to go with my black custom....oh, and a TV yellow Junior double-cut is still absolutely necessary...

Will it ever end....?

John.

Ha ha.. Convincing my wife that I needed an additional guitar wasn't an easy task.. "But you already have one?" but in the end I think she actually understood.. But Don't know how I would pull of 7 of those.. Although Tokai Strats seem quite "cheap", so you never know.. Don't even start with the customs.. I'd love a black with gold hardware... 8) Maybe I should enjoy getting a GT instead of dreaming of what I don't have..

Your review was great.. Nice to hear your verdict, and it always nice with another photo..! But days feels like weeks now..

Johny642000 said:

Will it ever end....?

John.

Ha ha.. Convincing my wife that I needed an additional guitar wasn't an easy task.. "But you already have one?" but in the end I think she actually understood.. But Don't know how I would pull of 7 of those.. Although Tokai Strats seem quite "cheap", so you never know.. Don't even start with the customs.. I'd love a black with gold hardware... 8) Maybe I should enjoy getting a GT instead of dreaming of what I don't have..

Your review was great.. Nice to hear your verdict, and it always nice with another photo..! But days feels like weeks now..

Black with gold hardware? Here's my LC180s bought last year from Hisashi alongside my LS145s...oh, and when photographing guitars it's almost forum policy to have a nice rug....

updatemarch2010018.jpg

It's a 2006 model - now LC195s and also reviewed last year. I bought it from Hisashi in Japan - Gibson VOS custom quality at a 3rd of the price...

John.

John thats just mean.. I can't start lusting another guitar when I haven't even recieved the other yet.. or can I? :wink:

But it is dead drop smashing.. It's so beautiful and sophisticated looking.. Well we both know what my next les paul would be.. in many years.. I love that headstock.. It's nice that you, along others, review the guitars.. Makes it easier to get a fuller picture when you can't play the guitars first..

Hmm better get me a nice rug then!! I noticed the rug being a standard item in many pictures..

Once again thats a smokin' pair you have.. Thanks for sharing and Congrats!!

There's nothing wrong with lusting after another guitar when you've already got one on the way...that is after all sympton know as GAS...a very common complaint in these parts...
Although only an occasional poster, I am a daily visitor to this forum and have learnt a great deal from those generous forum members who are happy to share their knowledge...so I'm happy to spend a little time reviewing a new purchase...after all, Tokais are very rarely reviewed in guitar mags and when they are, it's normally the lower end vintage models... I have nothing against Fender and Gibson and indeed own a nice 2007 LP Special, but for those who discover MIJ guitars it's a good option to explore buying well built, well-specified alternatives to the big manufacturers at a very good price...and as many have said on this forum, I would buy a Tokai sight unseen on the internet, but I wouldn't probably buy a new Gibson as quality can be so variable....

All the best and I hope your guitar arrives soon...have you got a date?

John.

Johny642000 said:
There's nothing wrong with lusting after another guitar when you've already got one on the way...that is after all sympton know as GAS...a very common complaint in these parts...
Although only an occasional poster, I am a daily visitor to this forum and have learnt a great deal from those generous forum members who are happy to share their knowledge...so I'm happy to spend a little time reviewing a new purchase...after all, Tokais are very rarely reviewed in guitar mags and when they are, it's normally the lower end vintage models... I have nothing against Fender and Gibson and indeed own a nice 2007 LP Special, but for those who discover MIJ guitars it's a good option to explore buying well built, well-specified alternatives to the big manufacturers at a very good price...and as many have said on this forum, I would buy a Tokai sight unseen on the internet, but I wouldn't probably buy a new Gibson as quality can be so variable....

All the best and I hope your guitar arrives soon...have you got a date?

John.

Working with medical drugs daily but there's just no cure for the GAS
Yeah I've also been doing a lot of reading on this forum since I found it and it's a great resource.. I know that Gibson makes good guitars, I owned and played them, and some are great and some are not.. But with Tokai I've could buy two, like the GT and custom, for the price of one VOS.. and that to me is just a great thing..!

Well as I said they had to get a new one from Japan. they said they would get it within this week and send it right after a setup (if needed) so I guess that would mean I'd get it next week.. But I'll get a mail with the tracking info when it's shipped.. I hope it's not further delayed.. I'm supposed to do some recording with a friend of my who's a drummer next weekend so Im hoping i could try the Tokai out there!

yes big difference between the 97 and 07...!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Just wondering if you've received your guitar yet and what you think of it?

Best,

John.

Johny642000 said:
Hi Mark,

Just wondering if you've received your guitar yet and what you think of it?

Best,

John.

Hi John

No Im still waitiiiiing... :cry:

The shop is waiting for Tokai to clear their shipment within the next couple of days.. So if Im lucky (and really hope I am) I'll get it next week... Hope there wont be more delays.. I shouldn't be complaining though, many had to wait severel months to get theirs.. But rest assured I'll write a review with my thoughts just as soon as I get it..:wink:

Mark

Thought I would add another P90 example to the mix. This one comes from the late Sean Costello and it his interpretation of Otis Rush's "Double Trouble."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeL6MGTq80&feature=related

I have a Tokai LS-145S (same guitar as yours) and I had the stock pickup outputs measured:
Neck = 7.95K
Both = 3.98K
Bridge = 7.98K

I have a Lollar '50s Wind in my Melody Maker. This is his page with his P90 offerings so you might compare:
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=p90-pickups

Enjoy your new axe!

Stone Free: Nice vid you posted. He was great.. Like the fact that he played the song with a broken string.. And what a tone, feeling and voice..

Did you keep the stock PUs in yours?

I've read about the lollars.. But I think the stock will be great... Now I just want my axe and play some blues...!!

Kind Regards Mark

$nakepit said:
Stone Free: Nice vid you posted. He was great.. Like the fact that he played the song with a broken string.. And what a tone, feeling and voice.
Did you keep the stock PUs in yours?
I've read about the lollars.. But I think the stock will be great... Now I just want my axe and play some blues...!!
Kind Regards Mark

You're welcome for the vid. One of my favorite players.

Yes, I have kept the stock PUPs. You will notice on the Lollar site that mine are closer to the "Underwound" P90 values. I didn't know this, but upon looking yesterday at the '50s Wind, he bases it on Sean Costello's PUPs. Remember to do what Costello, Junior Watson et al do: ride the guitar volume for a wide variety of tones. Bring it down a bit and find the sweet spot.

I like the stocks, but maybe in some future time I will go with the '50s Wind. I'm in no hurry though as the stocks sound very good.

Hope you get the guitar soon ... jam on!

You will notice on the Lollar site that mine are closer to the "Underwound" P90 values. I didn't know this, but upon looking yesterday at the '50s Wind, he bases it on Sean Costello's PUPs.

Thats kinda funny.. Then I understand why you like the tone of your guitar..

Remember to do what Costello, Junior Watson et al do: ride the guitar volume for a wide variety of tones. Bring it down a bit and find the sweet spot.

Sure, Im gonna fiddle alot with the tone and volume nobs.. a lot of interesting things will probably come out of it..

I like the stocks, but maybe in some future time I will go with the '50s Wind. I'm in no hurry though as the stocks sound very good.

Hope you get the guitar soon ... jam on![/quote]

Cool.. If you ever decide to change them remember to tell me how the change feels.. And wheather it was worth it.. will always depend on your preference though..

Me too.. wish it would be here when I wake up!!

Regards

Sorry for bringing up this topic again but just wanted to let you guys know that I got the beauty... What a smashing piece of wood.. It was so soft on the hands that I thought I was playing 9's. changed it to 10's raised the action a bit but still plays softer than butter.. it doesn't feel at all like my suhr.. I'll get used to it or change 'em to 11's.. It's totally flawless.. real craftmanship.. I haven't had to much time with it and I wont be able to play it through my amp before thursday or the weekend.. But then I will post a review and some pics.. And maybe even a quick sample..

Thanks to all on the forum.. You guys made it a lot easier to find this wonder..

Mark

Latest posts

Back