Springy Sound 1980 ST 60 (or 80)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, surely there's no need to speculate, if togps sold this guitar then he'd know what it is. So come on Gottfried what is it..?? :wink:

i remember on his website he listed it as st 80, but i think when it went to ebay he listed it as st 60... i could be wrong.

Oh. :( Well I bought it on the assumption that it was an ST80, as that was how it had been described by togps on the website link that Dave provided earlier. And he is one of the leading experts on old Tokais. So I assumed it had a nitro finish. If it has a poly finish, I'm going to be VERY disappointed....

Mike

none the less, its a beautiful st 60....

something strange i noticed though. st 60 are supposed to have poly finish. this particular one is a bit tricky though. on one of the pictures of this guitar where the pick guard is removed to show the pickups, you could see a color difference in the paint under the pick guard. the finish is lighter under the pick guard, and darker in the exposed area. That is a sign of a nitro finish.. :eek: .. mabey poly does the same after many years?? I didnt think so....

Yes poly does the same thing, i have a cream Greco LP that is a different shade under the pickguard. Mike why don't you send Togps a PM and ask him i'm sure he'll set you straight...Cheers ..Mick

I have. He commented "All features of this guitar are for a ST80 besides AFAIR the missing V-shape neck" which must have been changed at some point. However, I didn't know the neck had been changed till after I bought it, & I'm not clear what the origins of the neck are.

So if the body is ST80, it must be nitro, right? However, the finish on the neck is far more important. I'd much sooner have a nitro finish neck on a poly body than the other way round.

Mike

Yeah i understand, i'd say if the body is an st80 it would almost certainly be nitro . It wouldn't cost you to much {if you have to have it} to refinish the neck in nitro, then i imagine it would all be st 80... :p

Hmmm, I was kinda expecting not to change anything on this guitar....

A Goldie, sure, but not a 1980 Springy....

Mike

Yes, on the Fenders anyway. That's one reason for the wear patterns on the fretboards of 50s Strats. Fender only used clear nitro lacquer until about 1967. AFAIK, anyway...

Mike

Probably best to wait till you've got it. Not sure whereabouts in London you are, but I've got a 1980 ST-80 and a 1981 ST-60 if you want to compare yours with two that (I hope!) are what they say they are. I'm in Ealing.

Sounds like an interesting idea - I'm in Wood Green, straight round on the North Circular. :D

Mike, i can not help - i don?t know if it is an ST 60 or 80, that?s why i posted ST 60 (or 80) and i said nothing from ST XX in the ebay auction -
I?m not sure but i think the finish is thin poly on body and neck - there are no crackings anywhere. I have not made any changes since i got it a few weeks ago from togps? It?s absolutely the same guitar.

dongrosh said:
Mike, i can not help - i don?t know if it is an ST 60 or 80, that?s why i posted ST 60 (or 80) and i said nothing from ST XX in the ebay auction -
I?m not sure but i think the finish is thin poly on body and neck - there are no crackings anywhere. I have not made any changes since i got it a few weeks ago from togps? It?s absolutely the same guitar.

Ah. :( I assumed I was buying an ST80, which would have a nitro finish. Dave's link to togps' webpage convinced me it was a good buy. If it's got a poly finish neck, I'm not sure that it is. :cry:

Mike, the finish doesn?t change the sound, it?s a lovley nice good sounding strat for less money if you compare it to an 7ender Standard from today -
and she will keep the price instead of many others. You will see that this was an good buy.

It's not the sound, it's the feel. Nitro feels different against my hand when I'm playing, & it's what I'm used to from my 2 Fender US 62RI Strats, one of which only cost me ?550! My hands sweat more on a poly finish neck, & it's just not as comfortable to play. Besides which, if I want a poly finish neck, I've just got a Goldie for a third of the price!

I'm really feeling uneasy about this now, since nobody seems to know where the neck comes from. togps says he can't remember, so how do we know it's even from an ST60? It could be from an ST50? In which case, that's not what I thought I was buying. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back