Early 80's Springy Sound routing question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouDur

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to grab an early 80's Springy Sound but the routing is worrying me, anyone mind chiming in? Unfortunately the seller has closed it back up so I didn't get codes (which sucks) and looks like they didn't bother taping the code areas out either (maybe 'cause it's OW?) so they might be hard to see anyway.

The wiring and pickups seem fine but feels like it's missing a bit of a recess/routing near the bridge pickup leading to the control cavity and the jog on the outside edge of the control cavity isn't very pronounced compared to the ones I'm finding online. Wondering if there are a few different routing styles and possibilities and that I'm overreacting? Thought I'd put it out here and see if anyone has insight.

Another bummer is the neck got switched for a blank at some point (booo)...

Thanks gang
Louis

uc

Don't mind the black pickguard backing, it's a replacement and original white 3-ply guard is included

Hey Louis,

All I’m seeing that is definitely Tokai is the wiring harness and pickups.

I would assume it’s not a Tokai body. Not seeing the typical routs or even the body code.

More pics might help. The burden is on the seller to prove what it is.

And sounds like it doesn’t have a Tokai neck either.

Not sure what it’s being sold as, but it’s not a Springy in my opinion. Looks like a Partscaster.

Sigmania said:
Hey Louis,

All I’m seeing that is definitely Tokai is the wiring harness and pickups.

I would assume it’s not a Tokai body. Not seeing the typical routs or even the body code.

More pics might help. The burden is on the seller to prove what it is.

Not sure what it’s being sold as, but it’s not a Springy in my opinion. Looks like a Partscaster.

Thanks Sigmania, there are definitely a few small mods/replacements which is fine but if the body is not original that's a pretty big deal.

I did find a few Springys online that had the same control cavity shape that's missing that extra little lip to catch a pickguard screw. Is that a 50's and 60's model difference, where the 60's has that extra jog to accommodate the extra guard screws? I'm more concerned about the lack of routing in the bridge pickup area, all I've seen online have one even if shallow...

I did find some olympic white springys where they didn't bother taping codes out, maybe 'cause they felt they'd still be visible under that finish. Hoping that's the case with this one.

the neck does seem like a genuine Tokai, 60's style with no skunk stripe and with rosewood fretboard.

Pics of the more open control cavity examples and covered up codes. (I do agree, I might have to get him to cut his new strings and open it up again for further inspection!):

uc

uc

uc

Do you see the extra depressions for the pickup adjustment screws at the edge of each pickup rout? A Springy should have that.

Also, it should have countersunk holes for the neck bolts in the neck pocket.

Also, the shape of the control cavity is not correct for a Springy on the body you originally posted.

Here is my 1981 ST70 MGR for comparison.

8hQ0C82.jpg

I just learned something. These routs changed over time. The early Springys were different and lacked some of these features.

Different control cavity and no countersunk holes for the neck bolts....

These first two guitars you posted look like early Springys.

uc

The second and third pictures do have the mounting screw routing. That first one may have them and just be faint. Hard to see but they are present on the ST80 GSR.

Stamping the model number in there got phased out over time.

uc

Body code on the OW body looks like it is under that paint.

Notice it has the later shape for the control cavity and for the pickup routs.

uc

Probably changed when they started using CNC in 1980/81?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26556&hilit=cnc

jgfXRd8.png

This threw me off.

LouDur said:

Sigmania said:

LouDur said:
the neck does seem like a genuine Tokai, 60's style with no skunk stripe and with rosewood fretboard.

Given all of that... I would check for a fretboard stamp at the end of the original neck. The early ones had that.

haijg14.png

Also, check to make sure that the neck or the body were not re-drilled to accommodate a different neck.

There could be numbers stamped in the neck compartment. Possibly faint. Maybe even a serial number if it is from 77/78.

LouDur said:

Did you mean neck plate??

If it has a blank neck plate and it is a Springy, then it is from 1977/78 and the serial number was stamped in the neck pocket.

Sigmania said:
This threw me off.

LouDur said:

Sigmania said:

LouDur said:

My apologies, I meant to say "neck plate"!!! I'll have to ask him to open it up again and take the neck off (which he was reluctant to do), too much unknown to pull the trigger... Thanks Sigmania

Sigmania said:
This could be a very early Springy.

Check this link for the earliest Springys.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26086&hilit=earliest+springys

The first half year or so they had blank neck plates and the plates were narrower than the standard plate.

That would make it much less likely that someone could switch a neck without redrilling it.

I had thought it might be the case, but the plate doesn't seem like a narrow one :(

So a blank plate without it being narrow says Partscaster. Especially with the lack of anything about the body that indicates it's a Tokai.

I think you have a Tokai neck, and pick guard assembly/wiring harness/pickups.

By 81 the neck & body joint are standard Fender spacing I believe, so any generic Strat body should mate with a Tokai neck from 81 on.

Would be nice to know where the original body went.

Sigmania said:
So a blank plate without it being narrow says Partscaster. Especially with the lack of anything about the body that indicates it's a Tokai.

I think you have a Tokai neck, and pick guard assembly/wiring harness/pickups.

By 81 the neck & body joint are standard Fender spacing I believe, so any generic Strat body should mate with a Tokai neck from 81 on.

Would be nice to know where the original body went.

I fear as much. Might be a Goldstar body, I found a few that had that same lack of routing in the bridge pickup area. Was wondering if there'd be some cross-over between routing styles between the two models but assuming that's unlikely.

Back