Springy becomes Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet another example, including difference in ageing on the finish. Fender is a 1982 Fullerton reissue, which is showing its age. The Tokai is a 1979 ST-80, which looks brand new despite being three years older than the Fender.

Noahsbirthday057.jpg

andyscott said:
marcusnieman said:
andyscott said:
marcusnieman said:
andyscott said:
Ah, the number of letters eh. Sounds a little churlish.

Should I be offended by that comment? Not sure what you mean. That's a pretty well known fact.

No, no! I was only meaning it seems a little churlish of Fender to object to the number of letters used in the Tokai name. :)

Thanks mate.....never heard the term "churlish" before. The dictionary defines it as boorish or rude or vulgar.

Is that so? I've been using it for decades as "petty", lol. Actually I got it from an artist manager who, when the offer of glass of wine was made, always said "It would be churlish not to".;)

It's one of those words that almost everyone, including me, uses incorrectly. Another one is "arcane", which a lot of people use to mean ancient when in fact it means secret or mysterious.

scrumpymanjack said:
Fender is a 1982 Fullerton reissue, which is showing its age.

An 82? The first year of USRIs - nice. :p Sunburst I assume? Should be worth a few $ now.

It does suggest that the nitro finish Fender used in the early 80s was quite different to the nitro Tokai were using at the the same time (and a few years earlier). These aren't isolated examples - the early 80s USRIs darkened a lot more than the Tokais did, despite the recent discussions about Fender's use of Fullerplast.

Does anyone have any theories about what the difference was, and why it happened?

Latest posts

Back