Matsushita Selector Switch?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that name mentioned in the 1982 catalog in connection with the development of the 5 way switch in Springys.

●Pickup selector switch
Newly developed 3-stage 5-position selector switch. Please pay attention to the shape of the shaft. Reproduces the shaft shape of the old type Donzuba, which is slightly different from the current CRC type. I changed the switch knob accordingly. Tokai was also the first to introduce a switch knob that was compatible with the original model. As for the performance of the switch, it is a masterpiece created through technical development with Matsushita from around the world. This completely eliminates the creaking noise when changing the switch, as well as malfunctions and other troubles.

37773-6a2ff5429f71c9de154e86e0c4da3f16.jpg

That's quite interesting! Would be interesting to know (I guess we never will) if they just acquired some engineering advice there or if Matsushita also produced the switches for Tokai.

Is that a Tokai switch?

I don't have an '82 to compare with.

Here is the switch in my 1983 TST70 photographed from the other side.

IMG_7781.JPG

Is that a Tokai switch?
That's what the seller claims and here's another one of those. While looking at the pics it dawned on me that they apparently have a date code (yet to be deciphered). - 351, 3N1, 261 on yours...

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 18.55.14.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 18.56.10.jpg

However, I think I've seen several other types of switches in Tokais, so this (probably expensive) version could have been restricted to certain models only, and of course only a limited number of years.

Here's the switch in my Breezy:

IMG_20231219_190632.jpg

Obviously made by Matsushita as well, and the date code seems to be just like the pot date codes - 1981, November, whatever the '3' means. If true (need more samples), I think that could help us in the same way as the (usually missing) pot codes!

My Breezy Tele-caster and my Panasonic Tele-vision have something in common! :)

If those have a date code it’s another way to date guitars. 👍🏼

Well, only some Tokais so far, and some apparently did not like the odd (in a very sophisticated way) design of the switch and swapped in a CRL. Also, nobody takes pics of the PG backside from this angle, so this is only something we can use in the future by requesting pics showing the switch code.

It shouldn't be overrated either, I assume that the pickguards (and harnesses etc. for that matter) were assembled ("loaded") mostly independent from the rest of the guitars and maybe not even in the same factory but by a supplier, so the whole loaded PG is just a part like a necks and bodys - their dates can match but they don't have to.

- However, I immediately found it useful when I saw this guitar:

14983 Springy spaghetti logo, (BST: 10=4, NST: unknown), E-PUs on 'A' stamp PG with a September '81 switch code.

I found that interesting because the pickguard was probably assembled at the earliest September 1981, the body made a year later (?) in October and the late serial# was still a 1983 serial not long ago. :). That sure is raising a few flags for me.

- Here's another example showing the opposite case:

This guitar doesn't show its serial, it's claimed to be a 1984 Goldie and the pic of the PG shows that this could check out, potentially even be a 1983 since the switch would've been produced in April 1983:

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 21.32.59.jpg

But like I said, we need more samples to verify the code is just as valid as the pot codes, also I think they may have been delivered less often than pots, because, you know, for every 3 boxes of pots you need only 1 box of switches to make Strats. :)

Well, only some Tokais so far, and some apparently did not like the odd (in a very sophisticated way) design of the switch and swapped in a CRL. Also, nobody takes pics of the PG backside from this angle, so this is only something we can use in the future by requesting pics showing the switch code.

It shouldn't be overrated either, I assume that the pickguards (and harnesses etc. for that matter) were assembled ("loaded") mostly independent from the rest of the guitars and maybe not even in the same factory but by a supplier, so the whole loaded PG is just a part like a necks and bodys - their dates can match but they don't have to.

- However, I immediately found it useful when I saw this guitar:

14983 Springy spaghetti logo, (BST: 10=4, NST: unknown), E-PUs on 'A' stamp PG with a September '81 switch code.

I found that interesting because the pickguard was probably assembled at the earliest September 1981, the body made a year later (?) in October and the late serial# was still a 1983 serial not long ago. :). That sure is raising a few flags for me.

- Here's another example showing the opposite case:

This guitar doesn't show its serial, it's claimed to be a 1984 Goldie and the pic of the PG shows that this could check out, potentially even be a 1983 since the switch would've been produced in April 1983:

View attachment 38042

But like I said, we need more samples to verify the code is just as valid as the pot codes, also I think they may have been delivered less often than pots, because, you know, for every 3 boxes of pots you need only 1 box of switches to make Strats. :)

SN 14983 is a Partscaster.

Serial number consistent with October 1983.

Neck has a May date stamp.

The pickguard with the "A" stamp was apparently discontinued sometime in 1980.

Last edited:
Yeah I know - my point is that if there wouldn't be an A stamp on the pickguard, the switch code would've raised the same type of flag. Speaking of which, could it be that the Matsushita switches were not used in e.g. 1980? All I see on 1978-1980 guitars so far (never paid attention to that before) is some type of CRL switch (not sure there were CRL clones back then)?

Here is the selector on my 1979 ST100.

IMG_9863_zpsda8e2701.JPG

I was thinking the same thing, that the selector was probably off the same 1983 body, but the PG was switched for some reason.

Yeah it seems they introduced them in 1981 (like so many things) and we can read about it only in the 1982 catalog. But hey, I won't complain, yet another data point (if true) gathered for a timeline. :)

And since we are looking at circuits, you may want to check out the recent translaton I did for that 1982 catalog.

Among other things they brag about the ceramic caps they put in guitars that year and there is an explanation of the TE circuit and why they used 1Meg pots, and the caps they paired them with and why.

1980s - 1982 Vol. 5 Spring Catalog Spring Version (FULL)

●Control Circuit
Have you ever noticed that it is completely different from other copy models. Smooth volume response, no muffled sound even when turned down. The range and depth of expression is truly diverse, including crisp, crisp sounds. is.

The key, the secret, will be revealed as follows. First, the volume curve characteristics, all TE series are A curves. That's also 1MΩ. The sound is still muffled even when the volume is lowered. To avoid this, use a 1000 PF capacitor to reduce the capacitor effect. It's out. A normal tone capacitor is 0.047MF. While taking advantage of the nuances the control circuit expands the range of expression.

You guys are amazing. I'm going to check my TST100 and block L12126, might be able to confirm their dates. I've seen the codes on those switches before and didn't realise they were date codes.

Last edited:
So, my L12126 Block logo 'fanatics' Goldstar 5=12 has switch code 341, which should be April 83, which is bang on. Definitely the original switch and confirmation of the guitars build date.

My TST100 TG 13695 2=5 has switch code 291 which makes it Sept 82. This also looks to be the original switch but I can't be 100%, a pickup has been swapped out at some point. Looks like the decal change was nothing to do with customs.

So the main bulk of block logo I've seen start June 82 and the latest is May 83.

There is the Jan 82 1=1 MG with 81 serial but I think this must have been caught up in the customs issues and rebadged.

Switch dates are a game changer!

rHsSEXE.jpeg
7rolSdX.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently got this pickguard from Japan.

No info on what it came off of.

Perhaps it's an '82 ?

IMG_8847.JPG
IMG_8841.JPG
IMG_8842.JPG
IMG_8846.JPG

That's what the seller claims and here's another one of those. While looking at the pics it dawned on me that they apparently have a date code (yet to be deciphered). - 351, 3N1, 261 on yours...

View attachment 38013

View attachment 38014

However, I think I've seen several other types of switches in Tokais, so this (probably expensive) version could have been restricted to certain models only, and of course only a limited number of years.

I had wondered the same thing about that a while back. Glad you noticed it as well. “Two heads are better than one”.

I wonder if the code I am seeing on our switches tells us anything about when the switch was made?

Again, never noticed that before.... The wonders of Goldstars. Love 'em.

35 1
26 3

Back