Some detailed pics of my Edwards Page Relic top and hardware

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi- sorry - my response before sounded a little forward. That seam your pointing to, is the 2 pieces of the laminate top comming together down the middle, theye are glued on to a couple of pieces of soild maple underneath. I do have 2 J.P. edwards les pauls , again they both have a one piece mah. back with a 2 pc maple top , and a 2 pc -thin flame laminate gluded on top of the maple top. ( i will post some photos tonight) . i have heard that some have complete soild tops ? but, i really do think yours is the laminate top. in any case, these are excellent guitars for the money! I got one from 1995 , one of the 1st one's made, and got the 2nd one off ebay a couple of weeks ago, except for the s/n , i can not tell them appart.

thanks. looking forward to your pics :D

maybe yours will help for comparison sake.

They use 3 smaller pieces instead of 2 larger pieces of maple for the top because then they can use smaller bits of maple which would otherwise be thrown away.
If I built a 3 piece maple top like in the image above and wanted to make it look like a 2 piece maple top I would place 2 thin slices of maple over the 3 piece maple top and centre them so it looked like a 2 piece centre seam maple top.
If they want a flame top and the maple hasn't got a natural flame type grain they use photo or dye techniques to make the ordinary maple look like flamed maple and then they put the 2 thin slices of flamed maple over a 3 piece top as above so you get a 2 piece flamed top.
The flamed type maple comes from a stressed part of the tree and is rarer then the usual maple grain so they try to duplicate the flamed effect with photo or dye techniques.
The FujiGen LPS-80F flametop Orville is done like this.
It's interesting how they do it and I think they shape the 2 thin pieces of maple to the 3 piece carved top contour by probably using heat press wood shaping techniques but I could be wrong.
If I find anything about how they do it I'll post the links.

rick66 said:
not trying to start any kind of problem here, just trying to educate myself. that's all. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

... so do I as well ... :wink: :wink:

... but - it looks to be centre seamed ... and solid ... I'm not convinced yet that it should be a lam top!!! :wink:

Roger

It's really hard to tell from the images.
If it's a one piece top then it wouldn't have any centre seam or seams at all and if it's a 2 piece top then it should have a centre seam on the top and also a centre seam in the pickup cavity that lines up exactly with the top centre seam.
If it's got a laminated top then it is really thin judging by the pickup cavity images.
Maybe the centre seam in the pickup cavity is so well matched it's not showing up in the images.

20 century boy said:
what we can tell for sure is that rick66 eat his nails. :)

good catch. however, i don't "eat" them, just cut them as low as possible. i hate long nails.

rick66 said:
good catch. however, i don't "eat" them, just cut them as low as possible. i hate long nails.

So do I as well ... we should open a "Show your nails" - thread ... it would identify the 'real guitar player' ...
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
BTW - my fingers are looking the same way ... :lol: :lol:

Roger

Rick66...I'd like to get a Tonepros bridge for my Edwards...what model did you order? I want to make sure it will fit the studs. Thanks!

GPCarpenter said:
Rick66...I'd like to get a Tonepros bridge for my Edwards...what model did you order? I want to make sure it will fit the studs. Thanks!

i sent you a PM on this.

benrod said:
NO WAY IS THAT A SOLID TOP! deoreo's photo with the black line's show it to be a laminate top! - i have 2 edwards j.p. and they both are a thin laminate top( about 3/32 thick) .

how about those pics?? :D

hi- rick66, sorry i have been busy with the holiday and the kids. i took some photos, and have them on www.box.net , but how do i upload them here?

rick66, i sent you a p.m. with the password . sorry my camera does not take good close-ups, but it is a 3/32 thick verneer on top of a solid maple cap.

Latest posts

Back