Single-humbucker 1982 Silver Star

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voidoid56

Reaction score
This one turned up in an auction listing in Japan today, and it's more interesting than I first thought.

A 1982 SS-55 with a single humbucker in the bridge position, just a volume control, a mirror pickguard and a darkish Burgundy Mist finish... it's got to be a mod, right?
Well, it looks like it's actually not.

uoRl5X5.jpg

It's factory-routed for the bridge humbucker and the mini toggles. The only irregularity is the obviously hand-carved channel for the switch cables. But if you look below it, there's an opening. According to the seller, there is a tunnel between the control and switch rout, only it appears to be too narrow for the rather fat cables. If the carved channel is a quick fix at the factory or the result of a frustrating reassembly is anybody's guess.
The pickguard has eight screws with matching, undisturbed holes in the body, so no sign of it ever having had a standard SS 11-screw pickguard.
The stamp is interesting. The font is familiar, I would assume that "MP" is "Metallic Purple" and the X to the right is standard as well. But 093 with no divider? It seems to fall out of the standard month-batch format, and looks more like a individual number to me. Maybe an order number? No way of knowing though. No pics of the neck number, sadly.

vXra99Y.jpg

The pickup is unmarked. It has 12 adjustable hex-head pole-screws, so probably inspired by DiMarzio Super distorsion or Dual Sound. No resistance value reading is provided by the seller. Standard SS cast bridge.

SxE2c9S.jpg

The seller provides no info on what the switches actually do. I would assume one is a coil split. The other is connected between the coil split switch and the pot. Could be a kill switch?
The positioning of the switches is actually a bit weird in itself. With no tone controls, there would be plenty of room for them in the control cavity.

ckDiFNk.jpg

The 55 model sticker is only just readable.

noF4Qbp.jpg

The tuners are right for that model as well, I think?

Rt37fiz.jpg

1982 serial.

F2MoK7Q.jpg

So what is it? Well, I've got no idea, really. Some sort of special order? Show model? Employee build? I was wondering if it could be one of the "secret" "Limited Products" shown only in silhouette in the 1982 catalog, but those we've seen (VS', VSB's and SS-70s) all have standard series production markings, at least to my knowledge? Also, all I've seen so far have had 1981 launch-batch serials.

I'll be watching the auction, but I've no idea where it's going. It's unusual enough to fetch a high price if the collectors get in on it, but the concept of the guitar itself is deeply unfashionable right now so it might get semi-ignored for that reason. We'll see.

And anyone ever figure out what that "X" stands for?

vXra99Y.jpg

Or the"Y"

EXHnj6l.png

or "Z" on some codes?

My TE120

dCCMucv.jpg

X, Y, Z.... Hmmmm

From Peter's book;

Body stamps found show A, W, X, Y and Z. Whilst others lack the letters completely. Until 82 only 3 stamps were used X Y and A. These were used for 50, 60 and 80 series guitars. I also found that Z was used on export models (post 82) whilst top end models always kept the A. The Y seems to be used on 60 and 70 models but the W still hasn't been determined yet. Only on 80 or higher necks would they add an A.

mdvineng said:
From Peter's book;

Body stamps found show A, W, X, Y and Z. Whilst others lack the letters completely.

Until 82 only 3 stamps were used X Y and A. These were used for 50, 60 and 80 series guitars.

I also found that Z was used on export models (post 82) whilst top end models always kept the A....

Not sure if that’s accurate. That Z stamp is on a 1981 TE120.

And still no idea what they actually mean, like the second number in the production code.

That theory needs more work IMHO.

Related thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26270

And just to belabor the point 8)

Here is the code on my 1981 ST80R with the soft V neck.

pLcBA7X.jpg

I would assume that the only way to even begin to figure out what the final letter is about would be to amass a lot of data and see if a pattern can be found? I just went through my disorganized, inconsistent and probably incomplete archive of photos of instruments that have passed through here through the years and recorded the stamps. The Ctrl - Pup thing is the stamps location, control or pup rout

1983 SS-38OW 12=20OW Z Ctrl
1981 SS-70MRR 8=5 MR X Pup
1978 ST-42YS 10=11 YS Pup
1982 ST-50BB ?=4=BB Y(V?) Ctrl
1982 ST-50BB 10=5BB Z Ctrl
1982 ST-60MRR 9=8 MR Y Ctrl
1978 ST-60YS 10=9 YS Pup
1985 TJB-45MRR 9=12 MR Ctrl
1984 TPB-40OW 12=20OW V Pup
1983 TSS-40MR 1119M R X Ctrl
1983 TSS-40MRR 7=15MR Y Ctrl
1984 TST-36BBR (LimEd) 9=1 BB V Ctrl
1985 TST-50BB 8=9 BB V Ctrl
1981 VSB-60CSR 7=2 CS A Z Pup
1981 SS-45MBR 2=7MB Z Ctrl
1981 SS-55MB 11=6 MB X Pup
1978 ST-60YS 10=9 YS Pup
1987 TJB-45MRR (no pg) 4-2 MR X Ctrl
1982 SS-? All black 4=8 BB Z Ctrl
1984 TPB-40OW 2=2OW (?) Pup
1984 TSS-38OW 9=14OW V Ctrl
1987 TST-55SW Bradley 5 17 SW X Ctrl
Unknown ST/TST body 4=12BB Ctrl

I would assume that the only way to even begin to figure out what the final letter is about would be to amass a lot of data and see if a pattern can be found? I just went through my disorganized, inconsistent and probably incomplete archive of photos of instruments that have passed through here through the years and recorded the stamps. The Ctrl - Pup thing is the stamps location, control or pup rout

1983 SS-38OW 12=20OW Z Ctrl
1981 SS-70MRR 8=5 MR X Pup
1978 ST-42YS 10=11 YS Pup
1982 ST-50BB ?=4=BB Y(V?) Ctrl
1982 ST-50BB 10=5BB Z Ctrl
1982 ST-60MRR 9=8 MR Y Ctrl
1978 ST-60YS 10=9 YS Pup
1985 TJB-45MRR 9=12 MR Ctrl
1984 TPB-40OW 12=20OW V Pup
1983 TSS-40MR 1119M R X Ctrl
1983 TSS-40MRR 7=15MR Y Ctrl
1984 TST-36BBR (LimEd) 9=1 BB V Ctrl
1985 TST-50BB 8=9 BB V Ctrl
1981 VSB-60CSR 7=2 CS A Z Pup
1981 SS-45MBR 2=7MB Z Ctrl
1981 SS-55MB 11=6 MB X Pup
1978 ST-60YS 10=9 YS Pup
1987 TJB-45MRR (no pg) 4-2 MR X Ctrl
1982 SS-? All black 4=8 BB Z Ctrl
1984 TPB-40OW 2=2OW (?) Pup
1984 TSS-38OW 9=14OW V Ctrl
1987 TST-55SW Bradley 5 17 SW X Ctrl
Unknown ST/TST body 4=12BB Ctrl

Interestingly, Ian's Tokai Forum book pictures an ST55 Goldstar, presumably from before 1985.

He was calling the color MP, but I think the K in the code goes with the MP.

Body code 2=6=MPK

Thinking MPK is the color, metallic pink.

PP 52-53.

dW2JZN6.jpg

So this one must be metallic purple? MP

As opposed to the brighter SP, purple sparkle seen on the above linked Goldstar.

While I am guessing... 8)

Could this guitar be a late 1982/83 prototype?

In metallic purple with the mirror guard?

Sigmania said:
Same with the HSS rout.

The rout in the single-hb guitar is actually subtly different. The rear edge is slightly curved, not straight, and as far as I can see it correlates well with the shape of the rear edge of the bridge pickup rout in a standard SSS guitar. This suggests that a production ST body was taken out of the line between routing and finishing and had the humbucker rout added.
No way of being sure, but to me it seems more like something you might do building a to-order one-off. I would assume you would build a prototype from the ground up?
Yeah, pure speculation. But it's hard not to try to get into these peoples heads, somehow. :D

Sigmania said:
While I am guessing... 8)

Could this guitar be a late 1982/83 prototype?

Well, it could be, of course. But if so, only the mirror guard was taken up.

I think we'll probably have to just settle on it being a one-off (unless another turns up...), for whatever reason. The odd body number suggests that it's outside of the normal production sequence, at least. It could have lost both the space and the =, it's been seen before. But I don't think I've ever seen a month-batch stamp with one of the numbers beginning with a zero?

Sigmania said:
Interestingly, Ian's Tokai Forum book pictures an ST55 Goldstar, presumably from before 1985.

He was calling the color MP, but I think the K in the code goes with the MP.

Body code 2=6=MPK

Thinking MPK is the color, metallic pink.

Peter Macs book lists MPK as a finish code, for Metallic Pink, as well. It's always hard to tell from photos of aged guitars, but it looks a different colour from the single-pup SS. Also, the added K in this one kind of suggests that there was already an MP code in use?

Detail pics.

KVl8pBp.png

Voidoid56 said:
The rout in the single-hb guitar is actually subtly different. The rear edge is slightly curved, not straight, and as far as I can see it correlates well with the shape of the rear edge of the bridge pickup rout in a standard SSS guitar. This suggests that a production ST body was taken out of the line between routing and finishing and had the humbucker rout added.
No way of being sure, but to me it seems more like something you might do building a to-order one-off. I would assume you would build a prototype from the ground up?
Yeah, pure speculation. But it's hard not to try to get into these peoples heads, somehow. :D

2fnxeSP.png

Voidoid56 said:
The only irregularity is the obviously hand-carved channel for the switch cables. But if you look below it, there's an opening. According to the seller, there is a tunnel between the control and switch rout, only it appears to be too narrow for the rather fat cables. If the carved channel is a quick fix at the factory or the result of a frustrating reassembly is anybody's guess.

SIq5KVD.png

Voidoid56 said:
I think we'll probably have to just settle on it being a one-off (unless another turns up...), for whatever reason. The odd body number suggests that it's outside of the normal production sequence, at least. It could have lost both the space and the =, it's been seen before. But I don't think I've ever seen a month-batch stamp with one of the numbers beginning with a zero?

FbEXGKW.png

Xq2SPHW.png

2fnxeSP.png

Voidoid56 said:
If the carved channel is a quick fix at the factory or the result of a frustrating reassembly is anybody's guess.

I'm guessing guitar tech. I can't imagine it leaving the factory like that.

More likely someone who was working on it that didn't care about its value.

That's not a factory with a reputation to uphold.

FWIW, those are short cables, and that original tunnel would be pretty tight for both of those cables.

Juts trying to imagine what a pain it would have been to work on that later.

The downside of the one off. Not as much thought put into how things work for maintenance, etc. I would guess.

"Well the customer said they wanted..." 8)

FbEXGKW.png

Xq2SPHW.png

Back