Tokai ST pickup explanation and time line

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenderDan1

Reaction score
Tokai pickups. Solid information from tokai uk flyers and adverts. With translation. Please note the translation is how it has been translated to English so it reads funny at times.

Explanation on the difference between U and E stamped grey bottom pickups.

Explanation on the A and B black stamp found on Tokai pickguards.

Explanation of time lines and models within a time line.

Translations from Tokai japan vintage catalogs.

Here goes.

The E stamped pickups are hand wound. The U stamped pickups are a production model of the same pickup and the same materials (alloy) used. If you have E stamped pickups then you have what’s described as type A within the descriptions in the catalogs, the A on the pickguard goes with E stamped pickups as type-A, on the specification list it reads ST-A. If you have U stamped pickups then you will have a B stamped pickguard for type-B described as type-B, specification list ST-B single coil. The Dimarzio VS-1 is introduced in to the catalog 1st jan 1982, the ST-120 is also introduced as a made too order model only with Dimarzio VS-1 single coil pickups. The ST-100 production model 1st jan 1982 also gets the Dimarzio VS-1 single coils as standard upgraded from type-A (E). ST-80 is always E grey bottom type-A hand wound ST-A single coil pickups, though in 1984 the TST-80 is upgraded too Dimarzio VS-1 single coils from E, type-A , ST-A single coils but it’s transitioned too “goldstar” sound. The “springy” sound ST-80 always had Type-A (E).

Exert from Tokai ST series flyer. explanation of (U) and (E) type-A and Type-B, as follows.
“The ST series is available with either, ST-A or ST-B tokai pickups. Type-A is a hand wound exact alloy reproduction of a 1954 single coil unit. Type-B is a production model of the same pickup”

As it states, tokai pickups, hand wound type A, production model type-B, same alloy used in 1954 on original single coils. Both type A and B pickups made of the same materials.

ST-A pickups vintage single coils, typical output about 5.6k ohms.

ST-B pickups vintage single coils, typical output about 6.2k ohms.

Note. SILVER STAR PICKUPS ARE THE SAME PRE 1982 and are described as SS-A (E grey bottom pickups) SS-B (U grey bottom pickups) keeping the type A and B format but instead of ST it’s SS (silver star) in the specifications.

Time line.

1977, black bottom DST A type single coil. Change too grey bottom type-A (E) type-B
(Tokai catalog translated from 1978 as follows)
“-Big upta 9's 7 ° guitarist replaces the 1454 Strat's sfringy sound. The number of tones is 3 and 23 due to aging, but it is not only%. The design of the pickup becomes an important point, and the withered P-tasting tone comes out in the high-pitched shear 70 peculiar to that old horse. The project team has developed two new pickups to challenge the sound of the Old Strat. DST-A type: Gokushina RU that uses the same coil material as the 1954 Strat. It's a second-handed weapon that redefines the old sound 100%. (2) STB type: The old-fashioned sound of the 1954 Strat is re-itemed at low cost. However, the cost performance of the skill group that does not match other domestic highest class. Both Taif and Alnico (? Lumi Nickel Koba "To's image) Polch 2o Raffin temperature-containing treatment is applied. R-

introduction of the soldering plate. Introduction of the Newly developed 3-stage 5-position changeover switch.”

Catalog exert 1978.
“The first domestically produced shield made by Shinron. The adoption of a plate provides a stable shielding effect for a long period of time. When wiring, in order to prevent the performance of the variable resistor (variable resistor) from deteriorating due to heat during soldering work, a separate terminal is provided for the ST series and soldered to it. Therefore, maintenance has become easier. A 3-stage switch is used for the tone changeover switch. Of course, it's extremely easy to get a '54 Strat halftone. Half-positions can be set quickly and will not fall out during a performance. (Newly developed 3-stage 5-position changeover switch)”

(see pictures, the pickup wires are connected too the plate not the pot, new from Tokai 1978)

About the switch.
Tokais new design, Tokai produced, translated from catalog.
“Old Strat is nonsense if there is no halftone! Therefore, domestically produced Pee developed a 5-stage switch, but I wonder if it is a little. The Sokoza ST series also uses a new limited-edition 3-stage 5-position switch, and has a new design that is perfect for half-judgment at the same time as a smooth 4-2 cutting without a garden that has 4 apts like a chidan”

1978 ST series pickup selection.
Note, 👎 Natural finish costing 5.000 yen extra, ST-100 is available in a Natural finish at no extra cost.

1978 ST models.
ST-42-U-type-B, B on pickguard ST-B.
ST-50-U-type-B, B on pickguard ST-B.
ST-55(N)-U-type-B, B on pickguard ST-B.
ST-60-E-type-A, A on pickguard ST-A.
ST-65(N)-E-type-A, A on pickguard ST-A.
ST-80-E-type-A, A on pickguard ST-A.
ST-85(N)-E-type-A, A on pickguard ST-A.
ST-100(N)-E-type-A, A on pickguard ST-A

1982 transition. Introduction of the ST-120 and Dimarzio VS-1 pickups for the ST-100 production model and ST-120 made too order model. Translated from the 1982 tokai catalogs.
“Mount the highest grade professional model ST100 & 120 representing the ST series that appeared in the new spec, the new big up V S-1 expected by DiMarzio, long sustain, high grade sound as you like, all-round springy sound Expand. High-grade specifications with carefully selected alder body and maple 1-piece neck. (ST120 is a completely made-to-order special model with a pilted-in Tramoku neck.)”
“Mount the highest grade professional model ST100 & 120 representing the ST series that appeared in the new spec, the new big up V S-1 expected by DiMarzio, long sustain, high grade sound as you like, all-round springy sound Expand. Carefully selected alder body maple 1 piece neck”
“Minor change: A minor change model with pickups, parts, etc. Assemble the parts of the Tokai Electric Guitar series to the desired specifications. Please refrain from big-ups from other manufacturers and minor changes due to parts. ● Orders and inquiries for custom-made guitars: Please apply or inquire through a Tokai product dealer. We will inform you of the custom price and production period. As of January 1, 1982, only the above items can be custom-ordered. Please be sure to apply for inquiries and orders through Tokai product dealers. We cannot accept direct orders from the head office or each sales office. Please be aware in advance. (Caution) About the left guitar / Currently, Tokai does not make any left guitar”
ST-50-U-type B-B on pickguard
ST-60-U-type B-B on pickguard
ST-70-E-type A-A on pickguard
ST-80-E-type A-A on pickguard

ST-100 now with demarzio vS-1 no pickguard stamp, production model.

ST-120, Introduction of the ST-120 1982 due too Fuji gen and fender offering the 115 JV model 1982 Tokai ST-120-VS-1 the 120 model is made too order only. (Note, Fuji had model grades ST-35,45,55,65,85,95,115 1982)

1983 transition.
ST-60-E-A on pickguard. Black block decal fiesta red model. Last springy sound.

1983/4 transition
Godstar sound. Pickup runs U E V1 V11 too 1986. (V1 and V11 are the same material as the E and U and are not Dimarzio but different new wind techniques at Tokai and prodably hand wound)

1986 death of the fender shape headstock at Tokai

1977-1982 U and E across models (small number of black bottom pickups in 1977)

Transition, 1st January 1982 introduction of the ST-120 made too order with Dimarzio VS-1.
ST-100 production model VS-1 (1982 catalog translation reads “small changes from 1 jan 1982”)

1983 transition too black logo E pups last springysound

1984 transition too goldstar MK U E V1 V11

1986 no more fender headstock and only AST models exported

(Note, 1982 we start to see black bottom pickups on the lower end SS range, both ceramic and alnico black bottom pickups from 1982 (unsure of Origen but they did contract Dimarzio in 1982 so maybe these are bought as low end from Dimarzio as Tokai are hand winding the E pickups and producing the U so as demand goes up then it’s logical they use low end Dimarzio as I can’t see them having multiple contracts for pickups.

If you follow it and look at examples it should all read true (every A pickguard will have E pickups, all ST-80 in all years had E and never in 1982 the VS-1 is introduced on the ST-100 production model and the ST-120 order model only while the ST-80 always in all years has E pickups for examples, this can be checked easily and no the ST-80 never had VS-1 contradictory too most of the information on the internet that says the ST-80 did have VS-1 but it didn’t and always had E, you will never ever find an ST-80 with VS-1 pickups ever only from 1982 ST-100 ST-120 🤷‍♂️) The TST-80 1984 is the 1st TST-80 to get the VS-1 pickups but under goldstar sound not springy sound.

Unfortunately I’m not a Les Paul player so I struggle with the Les Paul copies, however I am a self confessed expert on TOKIA and fender japan ST TE models, I can read most internal Fender japan and tokai ST and TE stamps. I own an extensive collection of fender japan catalogs, I own quite a few JV models and TOKIA models at all grades except the ST120 springy sound which i have tried to buy for many years with no luck. I’m an expert on the builds including neck shape, fretboard radius, contours and year features, I can tell any japan ST from just the fro t and back without stamps (finish is different as I would ask for tests on paint in the pickup cavity’s. I’m also a paint expert working at Bentley motors in Crewe as a paint technician.

I have some of the most rare STs out of Japan including the ST60 1984 54 reissued TOKIA purple sparkle in mint condition all original with E stamped type A pickups along with Greco, Fernandes and many more including Daion ST range.

Yes I totally agree. My point of view was from a uk and USA point of view so you are totally correct the fender headstock was made for the japan market after 1986 and still is used today within Japan and certain countries.

Yes still the TST fender headstock and AST is tokai own shake headstock. I’ll edit the information.

I had thought the same thing until recently. I am in the US so what I get exposed to is filtered. I can't see that on any Tokai site from the US, but I see them pop up from time to time in the used market on line.

I think if you look deeper in to this then fender probably did the same thing in 1986 because both uk and USA stopped getting the fender headstock.

Also in the USA Gibson won’t allow tokai advertising of the Les Paul with a Gibson headstock with totally different versions of recent catalogs.

I think tokai do ok so maybe this is a silent recent agreement.

Shops in the USA do have the tokai Les Paul but these are bought direct from dealers of tokai then imported to USA shops so tokai don’t control this movement as it’s classed as private transactions between small businesses

Hi Guys
Does anyone know why they later ditched the brass plate where the switch and pots are mounted on?

Probably cost savings?

It happened in the beginning of 1987 along with a general trend toward low cost ST models.

Back