Silver Star Models -- Difference in Tone

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backdoor Man

Reaction score
I would like to ask those who have played various Silver Star models to describe the difference in tone between the lower-end models, like the SS-36/38/40, and the higher-end SS-60 or SS-80.

I have a low-end model that has great ballsy tone on the neck PUP, but the tone on the bridge PUP doesn't grab me. What could I expect if I upgraded?

BDM

There's little if any difference in tone between the base models & an SS60, from my limited experience. My SS60 has brass saddles (a questionable feature) which soften the tone a little.

In my opinion (and I'm sure others will disagree), any difference in tone will be due to the saddles or the pickups. The best way to improve any Tokai Strat is to fit better, warmer, pickups, especially the bridge pickup. That will make far more difference than buying a more expensive model. A 2 piece body really isn't going to sound any better than a 3 piece body.

Mike

stratman323 said:
There's little if any difference in tone between the base models & an SS60, from my limited experience. My SS60 has brass saddles (a questionable feature) which soften the tone a little.

In my opinion (and I'm sure others will disagree), any difference in tone will be due to the saddles or the pickups. The best way to improve any Tokai Strat is to fit better, warmer, pickups, especially the bridge pickup. That will make far more difference than buying a more expensive model. A 2 piece body really isn't going to sound any better than a 3 piece body.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. That's what I thought. The bridge pickup on mine sounds harsh and brassy. Since I'm in Japan, I can probably sell my current guitar and get obtain an SS80 and at a net cost of only about 10,000 yen or so.

So, how do the SS80s with DiMarzio PUPs sound?

BDM

Backdoor man - I have an SS-48 for sale/trade which is the model below the SS-60 and has the better tuners. If you are interested I am in Aoyama, Tokyo. What is your current strat?

wulfman said:
Backdoor man - I have an SS-48 for sale/trade which is the model below the SS-60 and has the better tuners. If you are interested I am in Aoyama, Tokyo. What is your current strat?

Thanks, Wulfman. I'm not sure exactly what model I have but suspect it is one of the lower end models. If I decide to upgrade, I'll move up to an SS-80 for the top-of-the-line pickups.

BDM

Hello,

This week I received my Tokai Silverstar, the experts of this forum think it's a ss38-40.

I just ordered a set of Raw Vintage saddles and strings when it'll be here and in my Tokai I could tell about the difference.

A friend have a low end Silverstar too, he installed this Raw vintage Set and Lollar Vintage pickups, now he never plays his 2000 euro fender stratocaster.

IMG_7474.jpg

I'm thinking to gonna buy me a Silverstar too but can anyone tell me if this one http://link.marktplaats.nl/370371504 a SS38 is or a SS60?

I'm not sure what SS this Silverstar is because it has a vintage style bridge saddles but it have 7 digits on the headstock.

ateng said:
I'm thinking to gonna buy me a Silverstar too but can anyone tell me if this one http://link.marktplaats.nl/370371504 a SS38 is or a SS60?

I'm not sure what SS this Silverstar is because it has a vintage style bridge saddles but it have 7 digits on the headstock.

The bridge saddles are not vintage style, they are 70s style, as you would expect from a Silver Star. The black one looks fine to me, again the tuners tell us it's the entry level model, so SS36, SS38 or SS40.

Most Silver Stars you see for sale are these entry level models - what I do is assume that every SS is a 36/38/40 until I see proof that it's a higher level model.

And malkolm - I'm glad you like yours.

So ?465, 'cause thats the price he willing to sell for, is a good deal for a low-end one?

And what is a good strat sounding pickup to replace the Tokai pickup?

ateng said:
So ?465, 'cause thats the price he willing to sell for, is a good deal for a low-end one?

And what is a good strat sounding pickup to replace the Tokai pickup?

How are we supposed to answer that without knowing where you are?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13896

OK, so just over ?400. Seems a bit expensive to me. Depends what prices are like on eBay Netherlands, but I would have thought you could get a SS for less than that. I guess it depends how much you want it - it's not an outrageous price.

Should i look for a SS60 or will a SS38 doing a good job for that typical twangy strat sound like SRV.

Here on ebay i could not find a SS only Springy Sound and they're going for ?850.

If Stevie was here today, I'm sure none of us could tell the difference between him playing an SS38, SS60 or any kind of Springy or Goldstar. I really wouldn't use SRV as any kind of benchmark - he would be able to make any Strat sound good - and using 13 gauge strings & high action didn't do any harm to his tone either.

Maybe prices are higher in the Netherlands than in the UK? Perhaps one of our members from mainland Europe can comment? It's always difficult commenting on what is or isn't a good buy.

Than i think ?465 is a fair price for my Siverstar.
I know it's in your fingers like Lukather sounds like Lukather nomatter what he plays, Music Man or Gibson.
But i still use SRV's tone as benchmark and i know enough about him like what gear he use.
I'm thinking about custom fender pickups 'cause Texas Specials are too bright for me.

Well I've just grabbed an SS (38 or 40 I assume) for a fair bit less than ?400 on eBay UK..........

As for pickups, that's a whole different area! Texas Specials are weird pickups - they can sound dull & muddy in some Strats & too bright in some others. :-?

Latest posts

Back