Silver star identification - unmarked pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjovi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a new member to the forum. I purchased my second tokai yesterday.

Its a Silver Star ( Spaghetti Logo) in Yellow burst, maple neck with the serial number 2024914. After extensive research on this site, I ascertained it was a 1982 model, 1976 CBS style copy, model ss-38 . The guitar came installed with Fender Texas Specials in all positions, but I received the original pickups with the purchase. They aren't stamped at all! The previous owner has labeled them so he could remember what position each pickup came from, but no other markings.

I managed to find a previous forum post where a member stated that some pickups were unstamped, and those pickups had grey bobbins.These pickups were used prior to 1981 and after 81' the bobbins were changed to black. My pickups have grey bobbins. But I thought the serial number indicated that I had an 82 model. Could somebody please offer some insight to this.

Incidentally, I have an ebony Ls-50 from 1984 with zebra pickups which I have owned for 4 years. I love it!

Cheers

Ben

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Ben_Ander/media/030_zps0a4ea845.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

hey, nice guitars

your right, it?s a 1982 silverstar
it sounds like the pickups you are talking about are the original ones

they are probably flat-pole, have black & blue wire and should measure around 6 - 6,5 kΩ these are the standard pickups for ss-38s

the thing about all post 81 silverstars having black-bobbin pickups is bs.
there are certain models (SS-80) which have black-bobbin Dimarzio pickups.
but all other silverstar models usually have greybacks.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Yes, you are correct about my pickups. I appreciate the clarification. Right, now to more pressing issues. Playing my new Gat until my fingers bleed!

Thanks once again.

Back