SG75 coming soon

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alexg said:
Here's the break on the SG

IMG_0410.jpg

Hmmm....might be just a crack in the finish but nonetheless, it should have arrived without any bumps or bruises.

Big Willie Style said:
stratman323 said:
Not again! We had an example several months ago of a broken headstock on an SG which was shipped without a case - it was painful to see the pics. I never thought we would hear about one that was broken in a case.

:cry:

Delicate creatures, SGs. Bad luck mate - I hope the insurance covers it fully. Clearly lots of bubble wrap around the headstock is necessary with Gibson copies.

Mike

Here's the link to my ordeal that Mike alluded to...

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10016&highlight=&sid=2bae0b87b7755536fe5b02627a07f5ba

Best of luck with your replacement. Byt the way, I upgraded to a SG-155 when I got my replacement. The case fit snugly but the neck support was cut off-centre so the right side of the headstock makes contack with the case. Not a big deal unless it gets dropped some day. I'll be replacing the case with something sturdier soon.

Jason

Here's one of the other "broken neck sagas" Mike/Stratman323 referred to:

Innadaze said:
stratman323 said:
Innadaze said:
I've broken the necks on about a 1/10th of all the set neck guitars I've ever owned

How????!!!!! :eek:
I don't go around breaking them on purpose. Usually I had help. Out of 37 or so Gibsons, I've had cracked necks on two LP's, one SG and one ES-335 so far.....

rk%20my%20obg%204%20cracks.jpg

Strats and teles generally bounce pretty well. Even with good hardshell cases, the road and bad behavior take a toll and during much of that time, my balance wasn't all that great. I've just always been surprised that more weren't stolen rather than broken. I used to be pretty hard on cars, girlfriends, shoes and myself--tearing them up (not intentionally) in about equal measure. I've slowed down a lot since then. I started playing when I was 7-years-old, so four broken necks over 45-year period is not that bad.

Most of the damaged necks were cracks from me or someone else whacking something with the headstock or the guitar being dropped or knocked off a stage stand, or being leaned against something not very carefully and falling flat on it's face. LPs especially do not take this well, but it depends on the surface it falls on. As you can see in my pics, I've never destroyed one that could not be repaired. All the luthiers I've ever known have all loved a challenge or just a story for the record books but none of mine were in such shape that they were kept as trophys as I've seen some of my friends do.

In the way back when I first started playing out as a kid, I gained a lot freedom from one of mentors who used to say all the time, "If we break it we'll fix it!" He was really saying 'go try everything and don't worry about messing up,' but he might have meant weak-necked gibsons, too.

Ah, I'd forgotten that the other broken neck saga was yours, Innadaze, but I remember the thread. Maybe that's why you have so many nice guitars now - you never know when you're going to break one?

:lol:

Back