Set-up guide: Stratocaster.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
31st December:

Aaaaaaargh! Bastid!! :x

That'll teach me to use wet'n'dry abrasive on guitar bodies, won't it?

I've just looked at the Strat that I rubbed down last night - and the grain's lifted around screw holes where the water's got into the wood.

Oh well, it's only a tiny, tiny bit. And only around the tremolo fixing screws, so the bridge will cover it up. The fact that the wood in the screw holes has expanded should also mean that the screws should grip a bit tighter anyway, so may be no bad thing.

There's a very very slight 'lump' in the back where some water has got into the body from the jack socket and swollen it a bit, but you have to look extremely hard from a certain angle to see it in a certain light, and as there's nothing I can do about it anyway I don't propose to worry about it.

End of the day, it'll either dry out and 'shrink' back again or it won't, and there's lots of little dents and dings in it anyway so screw it. At least it proves that the paint is flexible and won't split or crack off as the body wood ages. I'm not going to risk sanding it flat then having a "dip" in the wood if it reverts back to normal further down the line.

Lesson for today kids - don't let water get anywhere near guitar bodies. :oops:

Update: 2nd March.

After 2 months in the airing cupboard it's all shrunk back to where it was again. Lump gone. WooHoo!

Next, I just have to wait for a warm day and I'll get the paint out. 8)

Back