Returning to Tokyo

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Willie Style

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well about a month ago, after great anticipation, I went to Tokyo for a few days. I saw a TON of guitars but was a little disappointed with the lack of any serious Japanese vintage pieces. Basically, the rundown of what I saw (things that caught my eye at least, was this):

- a few new Tokais. Mostly made in China which surprised me, but a few MIJ inc. a sweet LC-185 and a few LS-150.
- a TON of the same stuff: Fender Japan, Edwards, low-end Bacchus, Burny, Fernandes
- a LOT of Gibsons and Fender USA
- an early 90's OBG LP
- a late 70's Greco EG-850 or 1000 in ok shape(?)
a few nice high end Bacchus strats, teles, and LP (one tele with oil finish... nice)
- a few older Yamaha electrics (SG-1000 mostly)
- a lot of the same acoustics. hard to find anything mij except Takamine, and lower end ones at that. It was all Martin, Taylor, Seagull, and a bunch of Jap. brands but MIC.

Anyways, this is why I didn't write this little report sooner. As you can see, it was pretty uneventful. The highligh of the trip was getting a deal too sweet to pass up - I found a Line 6 Variax 700 and POD XT Live, both used, and both well below half price but in GREAT shape. I kind of wanted the POD before, but never really had any interest in a Variax. But at the price I got it for, I couldn't go wrong. So I picked them both up with the thought of playing around a little and flipping the Variax on eBay if I didn't like it. Judging from the recent completed eBay auctions for them, I should see a nice return on it, which brings me to....

My next trip. The wife and I were trying to decide where to go for vacation. She doesn't get much time off but I get a ton. (Anyone who has any interest in teaching in Korea, I highly recommend it, if you can get a job at a university. 5.5 months of paid vacation time. No, that is not a typo and I'm not bull-shitting either :lol: ) Anyways we hummed and hawed and decided to head to Tokyo, so we leave tomorrow morning for 4 days. I'm hoping that this trip will yield some better results as I'm still on the prowl for a 2T sunburst Springy (but still eyeing the Fender Jap ST54-120dmc. Anyone have any first-hand opinions of this?). I'm also looking for an acoustic. Does anybody know of a place in Tokyo where I can find a Cat's Eyes acoustic?

I'll be sure to update next week with some good news (hopefully).

Jason

P.S. Anyone planning a trip there should check out the Tokyo Green Hotel Ochanomizu. Not very big, but it's cheap, clean, and a stone's throw from the guitar strip as well as subways and Starbucks. There's a guitar shop around the corner, not on the strip, that has sweet prices on VanZandt compared to the other shops.

you should give serious attention to the Van Zandts...I have two strats now and they are simply amazing...got both used of course. Watch for Crews, Momose, Combat, check out the History and Fujugens too, Ornettes, Dragonfly, Freedom, Atelier among many others. Look for Seymour Duncans...out of production now but I bet there are some used ones.

Thanks Sneaky,

I saw a VanZandt STV-R2(?) at the shop close to the hotel in 2T sunburst, just like I wanted. It was about 20,000 yen cheaper than any other shop but still a little more than I wanted (read: my WIFE wanted) to spend. It was a beautiful piece though and felt great as well. I wish I could have bought it, but you can't live in a guitar case! ha

Jason

Jason,

I'm surprised you didn't see a little more older stuff than that.

Where did you go exactly?

That first store on the corner closest to the train station and the other used store across the street in Ochanomizu had a bunch of stuff both times I was there...

Scott

sneakyjapan said:
you should give serious attention to the Van Zandts...I have two strats now and they are simply amazing...got both used of course. Watch for Crews, Momose, Combat, check out the History and Fujugens too, Ornettes, Dragonfly, Freedom, Atelier among many others. Look for Seymour Duncans...out of production now but I bet there are some used ones.
I've got a Freedom Accoustic that I picked up for 100 bucks from EBAY.
It has what can only be described as the most beautiful flamed top(if it was real and not photo-flame that is).
The neck feels exactly like my Love Rock so jumping from electric to accoustic isn't the hurdle that it once was.
Good pickup system...in-built tuner and 3 band EQ..all in all a great win for $100...I can recomend them 100%...well....just the accoustics...haven't seen their electrics :-?

Hi guys, here`s a little update:

The stock seems much better than last time. I wasn`t on the Ochanomizu strip for more than 30 minutes when I found a nice 2T burst Goldstar TST-80. The guy is holding it for me until tomorrow. He told me it`s original, has `E` stamped pickups, and it has very little wear for a 23 year old guitar (it`s a 4digit serial). I need help though - the price they want seems a little steep to me - 98,000 yen without a case. Can anyone chime in quickly to tell me some opinions on the price? I like the guitar but I don`t want to get shafted either. Thanks all

Jason

well, because some people are willing to pay crazy prices for vintage MIJs now, sellers think we all are.
welcome to the world of vintage Japanese guitars...you should have made your trip 5 years ago.

True, but some newer guitars that are used are priced very well. Gibbos here are MUCH cheaper than they are in Canada.
I saw a used VanZandt today for 128,000 in great shape.

So the Goldstar is grossy overpriced then, in your opinion Sneaky?

Jason

I got my first Van Zandt for much less than that but my second was around the price they want...would I pay 98,ooo yen for a Tokai strat? No...I paid 20,ooo for mine a few years ago but I didn`t flinch when paying for the most recent VZ but to me the VZ is in a differant league. There are a lot of fantastic Japanese builders these days and I`d buy those before spending hundreds of thousands on old Grecos or Tokais...and don`t get me wrong...I own fine examples and have seen many more from both those makers but most overseas guys buying them have never seen whats being built in Japan now...you should take advantage of your time here and look around...theres a lot to see.
Have a look at the Hard Off shops... a national chain of pawn shop types...they get guitars frequently but ya have to go often because stock changes daily so luck plays a role. The local branch is a little odd...they have current MIA Fenders that are way over priced but I got a JV strat there for 30,ooo yen two years ago...I think none of the staff plays guitar so they really have no idea of what they have in stock sometimes.
Best of luck while you`re here...hope you can find something nice...are you Canadian too?

Jason,

Yeah, that sounds high for a Goldstar.

That's probably high end of the market range for an early Springy ST80.

Is it a "spaghetti logo"?

Keep in mind though, the prices are bound to appreciate if you hold it for a few years...

I thought I overpaid for my ST100 two years ago, but when I was there last month I saw another similar guitar (that one with the birdseye top in my report) for more, without the OHSC.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I`ll pass on the Goldstar. I think I was just so excited at seeing something that I was interested in that I wanted to buy it, but I convinced the guy at the shop (Scott - the big used one diaginally across from the station and down the street. Thanks for the maps) to hold it for me until I did some more research and got some opinions from those more informed than myself.

On this trip I have seen a lot more interesting stuff. Lots of nice VanZandts, a lot of old Yamaha SG1000 & 2000, a few older low-end Cat`s Eyes acoustics, a couple of very nice navigator LP`s, and a ton of other things. I`ll take some pics today if I can convince the wife to go guitar slumming with me and will try to post when I return. I need to get some pics from the shop around the corner from my hotel - I forget the brand, but they sell low-production guitars with the sweetest tops I`ve ever seen.

Thanks again guys. More later. Time to shop....

Jason

P.S. I wish amps weren`t so **** heavy. I found a VOX AC-15CC1 for less than half of what it`d cost me back in Canada but I`d have to take it back to Korea with me and then ship it to Canada when I return home next year for good. Sneaky - I`m from the east coast

I`m from the Montreal area, east coast is one place we`re thinkong of living when we go back for good...been there a couple of times years ago and loved it.
While you perusing the acoustics...keep an eye for Yamaha Dynamics...make sure it`s says Dynamic on the headstock under the Yamaha logo and not an S Dynamic which does not...sublime little guitars made during the 50s and 60s that went out of production once the company began building laminates...Dynamics are all solid wood, S-Dynamics were the first laminates made by Yamaha predating the light green labels and red labels which everybody is going gaga over now.
You could pick up a couple of the guitar magazines and get some maps from those and see some MIJs...though I`ve not seen a Sugi up here and doubt I ever will...they look great, Deviser Rosettas are nice too, I got a used custom made Deviser...parent company to Bacchus and Momose...that looks like SRV`s Hamiltone...outstanding guitar. Look for the Tom Holmes guitars too,

Hey Sneaky, yeah the east coast certainly is a nice break from living in crowded places like this. Seoul is hell. Picture Tokyo with a LOT more pollution, people smoking everywhere, garbacge everywhere, puke on many sidewalks each morning, and no concept of social or common courtesy. (Can you tell it`s time for me to move home yet??? ha)

So I didn`t do much looking around today. The wifey wanted to go to Disneyland so we spent all day there. Pretty cool, kinda brings the kid in us back.

But before we went, I managed to head to the Ochanomizu strip for an hour. I told the shop that the Goldstar was too exp. and asked for a discount. He said he couldn`t so I thanked him for holding it and left. They have a very good condition Baccus 05 G-player for 69,000 though that`s been in the back of my mind (any opinions on these?). Ishibashi has a beautiful looking T-standard (the oil finished one I mentioned before) that`s been SCREAMING my name but it`s too much for used (albeit good shape). New they list for about 126,000 I believe. I understand that shops usually sell for about 20% off of that price. Ishi. wants 98,000 for the used one. Sweet looking axe but ... I`m also on the hunt for a VanZandt. As mentioned the shop close to my hotel has some and they are better priced than any I`ve seen, although I`m heading back to 246 tomorrow as they had a used one that caught my eye and was a decent price if I remember correctly. I`ve seen so many guitars now that they`re all just blending together in my mind. Time to break out the pen and paper.

Tomorror is spa day. Guess who`s idea that was (read: NOT MINE!!!). Before though, I`m going to do some HARD guitar slumming. First I`ll head to Shibuya and get some pics for you all. Ikebe is probably the most well laid-out guitar store I have ever been in. Beautiful gear, great accessories, and a section of parts and stuff thet are minor but often hard to find. From there I`ll head to 246 to find that Van Zandt and look for others. They have a really good price on an EC strat but after reading so much about Fender]s woes and Japanese luthiers` attention to quality, I`m shying away from US made for now. Anywho, after cheking out 246, it`ll be off for the token visit to Ishibashi in that area and then back to Ochanomizu (providing I haven`t bought anything yet). I gotta get some pics from the nearby shop. Sweet gear.

Any words of wisdom about the Baccus guitars I mentioned (price, quality)?

Sneaky, I have seen some of the other brands you mentioned but they are just priced too far out of my league for now.

Sorry Scott, I forgot to answer your questions about the Goldstar - it`s an `84 from what I can tell, and not spaghetti logo.

On the acoustic front, Acohouse has a Cat`s Eyes CE-150J-T but not the reg. dread. I contacted everyone`s favourtive Hamamatsu guy Yoshi at Guitar Universe, and he`s going to ask Tokai about availability, although he already guessed I`d have to wait 6 months for one to be made.

More tomorrow if you`re interested.

Jason

P.S. The keyboard here in Kinkos is a little strange so I appologize for the typos. :-?

I own quite a few Bacchus guitars all from the early years, before they stopped cloning for a while to concentrate on original models. Seems those didn`t sell as well as they`d perhaps hoped so they started cloning again. The two models you menationed are from the originals...and the T-Standars are quite new...does the one you saw have the all rosewood neck?...they look real nice on line but nobody carries them here anymore. LAOX used to when they had a store in this city but it just ain`t big enough for both Yodabashi and Laox, so they closed but they always had a nice selection of Bacchus as did the local Yamaha shop but they stopped carrying them too...but since I know them pretty well I`m not worried about buying them on line. Also...they made the Riverhead brand, pretty much the same models as Bacchus but for a little less money new...used they can go for much less.

I did not find much when I was in Shibuya 5 years ago but it was my fault too because we couldn?t read kanji at that time so altough I had some shops adress I only found 4 shops: Musicland at metro station back, Ishibashi Shibuya, Nancy Shibuya but it was closed and another shop I don?t recall. Next time to go it will be different as far as we can read kanji now and some local friend will be our guide.

Okay so here I am back in Korea. To make a long story short, I ended up coming home empty handed. I did buy a strap though for the guitar I ended up not buying :x Anyways, if you ever plan to head to Tokyo for some guitar shopping, definitely give Scott A.'s thread a good read. It was very helpful. I'll try to add a little more here. Here's my report from Tokyo, Round 2:

First, the hotel and map of the area:

scan0003copy.jpg

Day 1:

We got into Narita airport and I can already feel my hands getting clammy, in nervous anticipation of what may come in the next few days. We check into the hotel at 2:50 and then I head directly to the Ochanomizu strip. My wife wasn't feeling well so she decided to take a short nap and meet me later :wink: . I get down to the strip. Now it's worth mentioning that I'm on the hunt for a good acoustic with a cutaway (pickup would be a nice bonus but not necessary), and a strat style guitar.

I arrive at the strip and decide to head down the left side of the street instead of the right this time. Superstition? maybe, but as luck would have it, I found a sweet acoustic at the second shop I went into, which I believe was called Part 2. It was a Takamine 2006 Ltd. Used, but in great shape, with only minor scratching on the back from what appeared to be a belt buckle. Heavy as a mo'fo though. The guitar lists for 230,000 yen but is on sale for 115,000. I get the shop guy to tune it, pluck away, and ask him to hold it for me. On the first floor of the shop, I see lots of candy - a Gretsch Malcolm Young sig. model, a Greco V, a few older Burnys, a Tokai Explorer (if only the wife wasn't with me on this trip :-? ).

I head out of Part 2 and go across the street to Part 1, the bigger used shop. I walk around, seeing much of the same things as on my previous trip - an OBG LP, a few Yamaha sg 1000 & 2000, a few Fender Japan, etc. I did however see a Tokai banjo! I would've gotten a pic but my battery died and I forgot the next day. As I walk around the two long racks on the floor at the front of the store, 2 guitars catch my eye - a very slightly used Bacchus 05 G-player, and a Tokai '84 Goldstar TST-80. I go very quickly for the Tokai. I ask one of the shop guys about it and he says it's all original with 'E' stamped pickups. Very good shape for it's age but 98,000 yen. Ouch. I ask him to hold it for me until the next day and he is very reluctant to do so. I convince him and then stop at a few more shops along the way, seeing much of the same thing - lots of Gibbo, Fender USA and Japan, Gretsch, Edwards, a few beautiful Navigator and Van Zandt strats, and quite a few Edwards. I leave to meet the wife. I tell her I may have just bought 2 guitars and she isn't happy about it but she's cool and it's all good.

After I met my wife, we head to Shibuya to do some shopping and I convince her to head to the guitar shops with me for just a quick look. First to Ikebe. What a sweet little chain of stores in that area! I look around in the big downstairs shop and see a lot of sweet gear - Suhr, Gib, Fender, Tom Anderson, PRS, you name it, they have it (high end that is). I buy the afore-mentioned strap, and a pair of amber bell knobs for my LS-150. One was stripped when I got the guitar. We leave that shop and head to 246 Guitars. I see some stuff that insterests me a lot. There's a nice Gib. '61 SG reissue for a great price (I forget exactly what it was right now, but I remember it being a LOT less than Canadian prices). I also see a used EC strat in mint condition for 116,000 yen, a few '57 strats for 139,000 and a used Van Zandt STV-R3 for 169,000. We look and then leave. We then head to the shopping area on the other side of the station for dinner. I go into Ishibashi and take a quick look at the used Van Zandt R3 in there and decide against it. It has 3 or 4 dings right down to the wood and is 139,000. At that price, I'd just spend a little more to get one in new condition. We move on and that's the end of guitars for the day. I get back to the hotel and go to Kinko's where I send my first message on this thread, looking for pricing help from you guys on the Goldstar.

scan0004.jpg

Day 2:

Rain, rain, rain. Does it ever stop in this part of the world? It's much less humid than Korea though so that's one plus. I get up and check my e-mail at Kinko's. Yoshi, from Guitar Universe, has e-mailed me and told me that Cat's Eyes acoustics (dreadnaught) are unavailable but I can order one. I think about that and decide to order one instead of buying a used Takamine which is almost the same price. Better the devil you know right? I own 2 Tokais already and love them both. Never had a Tak. I check the responses from you guys and you comfirm what I already think is true - the Goldstar is pretty overpriced. Now I know price is relative. As Marcus has said on other threads, any price is good if you want the guitar and you're willing to pay. But, I'd rather not get shafted on this trip. Before I go to the strip, I go to the small shop close to the hotel. They have a lot of high-end stuff including some Van Zandts that I looked at on my preivous trip. I go in and see a couple of things that interest me immediately - an '86 Fender Japan tele custom in 2T burst, fully bound for 59,000, and a Van Zandt STV-R1 for 189,000 which is at least 30,000 cheaper than any other shop. I take some pics of the more ususual ones to show here, and then go to Ochanomizu. Some of the pics are a little blurry. It was dark in there but if I used thet flash, it reflected off the guitars' bodies too much.

MusicJoy.jpg

MJ1.jpg

MJ7.jpg

MJ10.jpg

MJ9.jpg

MJ8.jpg

MJ4.jpg

MJ3.jpg

MJ2.jpg

I tell Part 2 I won't take the Takamine then I head across to Part 1 to talk business about the Goldstar. The guy won't budge on the price so I thank him for holding it and then leave. I'm kind of disappointed at this time since it was almost exactly what I wanted. If it was a springy, I'd have paid that price. Anyways, I move on. I head to Ishibashi in Ochan. and see the Bacchus T-standard in black oil finish that I've been eyeing on their website and I had seen on my last trip. What a nice looking guitar, but 99,000 for a used one when a new one costs 105,000??? I ask what's up and they can't really give me an answer so I send an e-mail to the web-shop to ask about it.

I then head into Pan Music and see a sweet topped LS-120 for 85,000 new. I start feeling the credit card trying to jump out of my pocket. I ask if it has any problems and the guy shows me multiple dings on the sides of it. I see an LS-150 next door in wine red with the same story.

I move on and then see some amps. On the side of the street with the violin store, just after Part 2, there's a store just up the side street a little. Nice gear, good prices. I see the amp I plan to buy on my return to Canada - a VOX AC15CC1X. I ask about the price. It's about half of what I'd pay in Canada, 70,000 yen! That works out to about 560,000 Korean won. The blue alnico speaker alone is 450,000 KRW, about $470 USD. I look at the plug, it's 100V, ****. It may work in Canadian sockets (120v) but I don't want to fry the amp. I could also get a transformer, but I decide to leave it for now and mull it over. We head to Disneyland for the day and the rain slows down.

Day 3, the last day:

I get up, check this thread, check my e-mail, and the wife and I head to the shop close to the hotel again. I look again at the Van Zandt. I think out loud about it and the wife gives me the green light to buy it if I want it. Didn't see that coming at all!!! :D I ask the guy if it has a hard case which of course it doesn't. Airlines nowadays are hit or miss. At some airports, they'll let you take it onboard. At others, they won't, so I didn't want to take the chance and have to check it in just a gigbag. (one time in Canada, after flying to home with my Washburn in the overhead compartment, the ticket woman told me I'd have to check it. I told her I didn't when I came. She asked if it would fit in the metal frame they use for sizing carry-ons. I said yes, but it'll stick out the top. She asked me if I could fold it... :evil: :eek: dumb *****). Anyways, I ask them if they can give me a deal on a hard case if I buy it. The manager runs off to check and doesn't come back quicky. We're in a bit of a hurry so I tell the young guy to hold it and I'll be back.

We head to Shibuya again. My wife likes this area and goes shopping. I head back to the guitar shops. First, I go to Ikebe to see if they have any Bacchus or VanZandt. They don't. So I look around and then find a vintage store around the corner with absolutely amazing gear- check out the pics.

Ikebe2.jpg

Ikebe.jpg

I go into 246 again and think long and hard about the used EC Blackie for 116,000, the new '57 2T burst strat, and the used Van Zandt. I look at a the Van Zandt and think, "Well, if I'm going to spend this much, why not spend the extra 20,000 and get it new?" I got to Musicland Key and don't see anything new that interests me. So I head back to Ishibashi to take another quick look at the used section to see if they got anything in. They didn't. I meet my wife and we head to Ginza for some shopping. At this time, I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm taking the Van Zandt STV-R1, but I'm feeling a little guilty because of the price. Anyways, we finish up in Ginza, scoring a sweet new pair of Oakleys (prices here are much cheaper than Korea) for my wife and a few other odd and ends. We get on the train and head back to the hotel to drop off our stuff. It's about 7:00 now and I'm kind of rushing to get back to the shop before closing at 8. I get to the shop at 7:20 and look around again. The sales guy sees me and comes over. I talk about the Van Zandt with him and ask him why this one is on sale for 186,000 when the others are all 226,000. He turns it over and I see a big ding in the bottom of it, right down to the wood. ****! I couldn't see it before because they keep all the guitars locked so I couldn't pick it up and I figured I'd just play it and give it the once-over before I bought it. I pass on the Van Zandt, thinking about the used one at 246. I look at my watch. It's 7:30. I don't have enough time to get back to Shibuya before closing. Double ****.

In retrospect, it probably worked out for the best. Although I work a lot here in Korea and have a little disposable income for fun stuff, that would have been a lot of money. And, quite frankly, I'm not good enough to warrant buying a guitar that expensive. I should have bought that '86 tele custom though; great condition. Well, all I can do is practice hard and maybe next time.

The light at the end of the tunnel though is that I'll be ordering and having a sweet acoustic made. God only knows when it'll be finished but until then, I have a couple other guitars to play.

There were lots of guitars to take pics of but I tried to show some that were a little out of the ordinary. I also didn't add detailed maps of the areas. For those, check out Scott A.'s thread here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=263725

If anyone has any questions about the area, ask away and I'll try to answer.

Jason

the thing about the Van Zandts is...the paint chips if you even look at em funny...real sensitive, the second strat I got used last month was repainted by the original owner by the local Big Boss guys...in poly...he wanted a maintanece free guitar he said, whatvever, I doubt I`d ever hear a difference between poly and lacquer on an electric...guess my ears just ain`t that particular...anyhow...not like they ain`t building VZs anymore...used is the best way to go on those I think. PGM...the company that makes VZs also makes Moons and their own line as well. I reckon a few days just isn`t enough to really find the one guitar that speaks to you...`course they all freakin talk to me and I wish they`d shut up.

Latest posts

Back