Orville by Gibson Reissue Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japanstrat

Reaction score
There are high end OBG's (fret edge binding 57 Classic pickups etc) with a regular serial number G YMMXXX (Y=year MM=month XXX=production number) that sometimes get grouped in with the reissue OBG's.
A reissue OBG to me has a model number something like LPC-57B and has a serial number in a Y XXXX or G Y XXXX Gibson reissue format (Y=year XXXX=production number).
The high end OBG's might be similar but to me they are not reissues.
I don't know for sure but maybe the reissue OBG's with a Y XXXX serial are made from South American Mahogany rather than African Mahogany.
I think that they have some sort of features that are different from the high end OBG's.
The Y XXXX OBG serial format must have a reason for being different from the YMMXXX format.

From what I've found out the Y XXXX OBG's were the most expensive OBG's selling for around 250,000 Yen for a LP and around 150,000 Yen for a SG.

From the 1992 OBG catalogue are some high end OBG prices

LPS-QM 228000 Les Paul Standard Quilted Maple '57 Classic (USA) CS,VS,LD (no pickguard)
LPS-FM 198000 Les Paul Standard Flame Maple Top '57 Classic (USA) CS,VS,LD (no pickguard)

Anyone know any more about the Y XXXX OBG models.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e68406327

I have had bothe types of numbered ObG's with fret binding 57 classics and blank truss rod cover...I noticed absolutely no difference at all, apart from the numbering system...maybe they just changed the numbering style at some point..needs further investigation...

this one has the G ser no and no long tenon..solid flametop tho...

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f52962003

but I have had this type of ser numbering with the long tenon too....

At harmony central is a review of the LPC-57B model and according to the reviewer the LPC-57B model has a Y XXXX 5 digit serial from 1994, fret edge binding, nitro finish, ebony fingerboard and an ABR bridge.
Maybe the 5 digit OBG's are using Gibson hardware as well as the Gibson pickups athough the reviewer says it had Gotoh tuners.
From the model number it's obviously a 57 reissue.

ok I have just looked back through all the ObG's I have ever sold with fret binding... over 50... there are three with G 3xxx ser nos but no G 4xxxx
there are many 3 xxxx, 4 xxxxx, and a few 5 xxxx

that one on yahoo is a G4, hmmm strange.......

poss different factories? deffo not the tenon cos I have had three G3's with the long tenon...

no thats not right ..only some customs are all mahog, none of the standards are ..and they feature both types of numbering...

japanstrat ..its not the hardware either...ALL the tailpieces are japanese...

How could u recognize a whole mahogony LP custom from a maple top custom, othere than the yellow binding? Most of the Yahoo japan sellers wont say anything abt the body type in their describtion.
________
Teen videos

At http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f56639869 is a LPS-59R that sold for around 150,000 Yen with a regular YMMXXX serial number.
From the model number it must be a reissue so the reissues have both YMMXXX and YXXXX formats but I think the YXXXX format was sold maybe at a higher price than the regular YMMXXX format.

At http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n48765023 is a LPS-59R with a YXXXX format that sold for around 200,000 Yen.

Both LPS-59R are the same model but use different serial number formats although the one using the YXXXX format seems to have a LTD (limited edition?) in the model number.

Looks like the YXXXX serial format reissues are limited edition reissues with a small production number like 15 and more expensive than the YMMXXX serial format reissues.

Post 162 at http://music.2ch.net/compose/kako/1005/10053/1005395275.html

You tried looking at the guitar magazine of 01/12/02 17:48 former times. From Watanabe musical instrument store in 1993 LPS-LTD" PLUS" It meaning, series, discovering the announcement which sells with the limitation production 15. P.U. ' Clean of the 57CLASSIC tiger eye with price being different, price width of 209,000 Yen - 99,800 Yen.

My ObG LPC has the 3 XXXX serial number. It has fret edge binding, an ebony board, nitro finish and is all mahogany.

Guys, can I dive in here?
Can you tell me what model this is? I know nothing about it, except it's a fantastic guitar!
Thanks in advance for any insights ya'll can give...

I haven't had it apart or anything, so...I suppose that would help, huh?

Cool! Thank You!!

Would you know, or could you guess the model number so I can keep up with your conversations? I had it apart last night...patent sticker pickups, neck tenon flush w/ front p/u cavity, veneer top, no fret edge binding, shallow neck angle...is this a "good" one, or mid range, or...?

It's a sweet player, that's for sure!

Thanks Villager!

Back