New guy here from USA

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
hi, I'm new here to this forum. Seems like a great place and lots of people from different countries which is cool in and of itself. About me, I've been playing for 30+ years, recently returning to lessons where I found out that I still stink. Regardless, I play in a band and am in the process of recording a CD... if Jimmie Vaughn can make a record, so can I.

So I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now trying to figure out which Tokai to order. Of course, in haste and with limited knowledge I ordered a newer ST40 which I got yesterday, it will be going back. Its not a bad guitar, in fact the neck is good, but the rest needs upgraded which I don't want to do. So today, I ordered what I believe is an older red AST56. This should be more what I was after. Like everyone, I love japan guitars made in the 80's & currently own both an early ESP 400 series strat and tele. I worked in a music store in the 80's when ESP was putting F brands to shame. Now I'm looking for something with more of a vintage profile neck and read lots on these... should be here next week. I can't wait.

Thank you. Yes, it has 4 digit serial on neck plate and the modified headstock which doesn't bother me too much... I don't often play the headstock... only when I bang it off the ceiling. :p

Don't buy old ones, buy the current ones. :)

Where are you ordering from in the USA?

Btw, welcome to the Gilmour fan club, my first name is Crazy. 8)

Diamond said:

Ha! I was gonna say don't buy current ones, buy old ones! I love the vintage Tokai Fender style guitars but that's just my crazy opinion.

I was just browsing the Vintaxe catalogs and found the TST-56 in the june 15 1983 catalog. Didn't know they started to export them to the US that early, thought it was late 1984.
This TST-56 was priced at $500 back then and the catalog states that is has a V shaped neck which normally would only feature on the ST-80s and up & hot single coil pickups called MKII (like LS pups..).

Not sure, kinda new to the whole Tokai stuff... been using the ESP japan stuff for awhile but that's not too hard to figure out. Trying to figure out the Tokai stuff is like the Da Vinci Code.

gilmourjunkie said:
Trying to figure out the Tokai stuff is like the Da Vinci Code.

Maybe with the "old" stuff, with the new stuff it's easy, just check out the 2010 catalogue.

Diamond said:

well then, shine on!

skydog said:
Diamond said:

well then, shine on!

I'm trying. :D

not to hijack my own thread but there is a good article in Rolling Stone this month on making of Dark Side Of the Moon for all of the other Gilmour junkies out there... not that tells anything we didn't already know.

gilmourjunkie said:
not to hijack my own thread but there is a good article in Rolling Stone this month on making of Dark Side Of the Moon for all of the other Gilmour junkies out there... not that tells anything we didn't already know.

I have "The making of DSOTM" DVD...one of my favourites, "Pulse", my favourite DVD/Live show ever.
My brother was at 'Pulse' in Los Angeles, went to the concert twice. :D

Back