NEW EDWARDS PURE MATERIAL SERIES LES PAUL.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIJvintage said:
F U R refering to the verbiage on the back of the head stock, it is printed in English :lol: ..............................

So? That doesn't mean it wasn't first translated from Japanese, does it?

Or maybe it was Chinese?

:wink:

The final assembling and set-up are made in Japan, so there's a little bit of Japan spirit in these Edwards. :D

ESP chinese factory make quality guitars for the real players, not for collecting them. :)

le juge said:
ESP chinese factory make quality guitars for the real players, not for collecting them. :)

Fine, so why not be honest and admit they are made in China?

It's not that simple is it. Where does the wood come from, where do the pot's come from, where do the pickups come from, where does the hardware come from, where do the strings come from, where was it assembled? eg I bought some bits from ebay a built a guitar - where was it made? They are exploiting this but the law is they only need to do a certain percentage.

Dave

stratman323 said:
le juge said:

Fine, so why not be honest and admit they are made in China?

that's what i'm saying. :) They're clearly good guitars, and anyone with any sense would realise that upon trying them. Granted a lot are exported, but I'm still guessing the vast majority are sold in Japan (could be wrong), where you can try them first. It's not like they're going to get the "it must say Gibson on the headstock" crowd anyway, whether it's MIJ or MIC.

DaveWW said:
It's not that simple is it. Where does the wood come from, where do the pot's come from, where do the pickups come from, where does the hardware come from, where do the strings come from, where was it assembled? eg I bought some bits from ebay a built a guitar - where was it made? They are exploiting this but the law is they only need to do a certain percentage.

Dave
yeah. :)

DaveWW said:

Dave

Actually it will probably come to pass that Gibson and Fender will have to write "Made in USA from Imported Ingredients" eventually!

marcusnieman said:
20 century boy said:
leadguitar_323 said:
What needs to be remembered here is that ESP have their own factory in China and have done so for years, these guitars are not subbed out to any guitar maker, so their quality is good, i haven't seen too many complaints about Edwards guitars quality or playability. Denial seems to be the only issue with these guitars.

Mick

+1 The chinese can probably push the button of a CNC machine as well as any japanese. :lol:

Of all the Edwards guitars I own (currently 6 - two LP juniors, one LP special, Jimmy Page LP, Blackie relic strat, and ES335), I couldn't care less about the Chinese / Japanese issue. All I know is that right out of the box, they are flawless, impeccably finished with marvelous attention to detail. On top of that, they all sound and play fantastic.

Marcus, not that it matters really, but do any of you Eddies say Made In Japan? Thanx

cashcow said:
Marcus, not that it matters really, but do any of you Eddies say Made In Japan? Thanx

Hmm.... going to my kept photos:

No on the Jimmy Page
CIMG0377-1.jpg

No on the black 335
1334_4.jpg

No on the Blackie strat
blackie1-1.jpg

No on the Juniors
CIMG1602-1.jpg

And I'd bet there isn't an MIJ anywhere on the LP Special..... I'll have to dig it out of storage to have a peek.

DaveWW said:

Dave
All hardware, electronics and pickups are mounted in Japan, all the woodwork and finish are made in China, so what would be the percentage of work for each country ?
:D

The other consideration to take into account is that it costs about 1/3 of the price to manufacture a guitar in China as it does in Japan. Are they passing that saving on to the consumer or keeping it as profit? I would suggest the later. A Tokai LS95F is the same or even less money than the equivalent Edwards ELP-98 and the Tokai is completely MIJ.

^ edwardses do tend to have a higher spec than the lowest MIJ tokais, though- single-piece bodies, long tenon neck joint, duncan pickups, nitro top coat (if you go for a lacquer taste series model), etc. I agree that they're probably keeping some of it as profit, but it's probably not all of it as they do seem to have a higher spec than the similarly-priced Tokais. I know that, personally, I prefer my Edwards to the few lower-end MIJ Tokais I've tried- but not the (even fewer) high-end Tokais I've tried.

Woah! Newsflash : company makes profit! :D

In terms of their list value, Edwards makes the best specced lesters for the money. Most people who own one think they are great (my Edwards SG certainly was). This new E-LP-PM looks great. I couldn't care less if it was made in Timbuktu, as long as it feels/sounds good and is well specced. Having said that though, for the money, I would probably go for a Tokai LS-150 as it would probably do better on resale.

youami said:
Woah! Newsflash : company makes profit! :D

In terms of their list value, Edwards makes the best specced lesters for the money. Most people who own one think they are great (my Edwards SG certainly was). This new E-LP-PM looks great. I couldn't care less if it was made in Timbuktu, as long as it feels/sounds good and is well specced. Having said that though, for the money, I would probably go for a Tokai LS-150 as it would probably do better on resale.

Agreed :wink:

No doubt companies are all about profit - I'm just making the observation that a guitar that costs much less to manufacture should be a bit cheaper; not more expensive. Having owned about 20 Edwards and 20 Tokai's; my opinion is that even the lower end MIJ Tokai's have a more qulaity feel that the equivelant Edwards. That's just my opinion. :)

Pegcityrocker said:
No doubt companies are all about profit - I'm just making the observation that a guitar that costs much less to manufacture should be a bit cheaper; not more expensive.

+1
Nobody likes feeling like they're getting gouged...

Also this pure series, if we're talking US $2K then do yourself a favour and buy a second hand Historic R7/R8/G0.

I agree with (some) points & opinions on each side of the Edwards debate .........

they are well made, no doubt but for me the (usual) light weight factor of their Les Pauls leave something to be desired

don't get me wrong, I don't want a boat anchor Lester bt then I also don't want one that doesn't have the 'balls' because it's too light in weight

the guy that I recently purchased the Bacchus BLS-59 said something in an email that struck me as true, from my experience with Edwards Lesters, "they seem soemwhat toyish to me"

I agree with that statement & no amount of quality woods & workmanship can alter the weight of any given guitar ....................

too heavy = bad
too light = bad
just right = good :) .........................

If someone is willing to blow $2K on an Edwards, go and search for a Bacchus first 8) ............................ and spend way less :D ....................

How heavy is too heavy? Just saw a Bacchus on eBay and it weighed 10 lbs 6 oz - little hefty for me. What's wrong with a Lester that's between 7.5 and 8.5?

cashcow said:
How heavy is too heavy? Just saw a Bacchus on eBay and it weighed 10 lbs 6 oz - little hefty for me. What's wrong with a Lester that's between 7.5 and 8.5?

Yeah, 10lbs is too heavy (for me).
Average burst weight - about 8.75lbs
Anywhere around 9lbs is ok, as the 57, 58 guitars were this weight.
7.5lbs = chambered, very rare, or something odd going on with the wood used.
8.5lbs would be pretty much perfect I reckon, not too heavy, but not lightweight either.

Having said all that, the 7.4lb chambered Historic Cloud 9 I tried was a pretty **** good sounding guitar, but it was different to the solid ones.

Back