Need help with ID of my new project Tokai Tele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadmanfoo

Reaction score
Hi All

My neighbour was clearing out his house a few days back and came across this old Tokai Telecaster copy in his loft. He was going to throw it out so i took it off his hands with a view to restoring it to its former glory.

So 2 questions:

Firstly, can anyone help me identify this guitar? From the limited research i have done i 'think' it is a '84 Breezysound (TTE 50 perhaps?)
- Serial number is 14438 (printed on neckplate)
- It is a golden sunburst Tele copy with a black pick guard.
- The Decal on the stock has unfortunately been removed, but the markings look like they may have been from the '84 7okai decal.
- The neck is U-Shaped, and i think the fingerboard may be rosewood.
Please see the below pictures for images. Any info you could provide (Model, Country of origin, Manufacture date) would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, the years have clearly taken their toll on this piece and certain parts will need to be replaced if i am going to restore this guitar to its former beauty.
- The bridge saddles are a little rusty so will probably need to be replaced (unless anyone has any suggestions as to how i can clean them).
- The plate with the dials was quite rusty. I used 0000 steel wool to remove the rust but it has eaten away at the chrome. This may need to be replaced also.
- Also, one of the string ferrules is missing from the rear of the body. I will need to find a new one of these before i can hook up my Ernie Ball Super Slinky's

I am struggling to find the above parts on the internet so would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions as to where i might find these. Can i just use Telecaster parts? They are easy enough to find.

photo1ip.jpg

photo6lc.jpg

photo2yi.jpg

photo3fq.jpg

photo4ca.jpg

photo5i.jpg

Thanks Gabe. I have ordered a replacement telecaster furrule, control plate and bridge so it should be looking pretty good in a couple of weeks. The only thing i am still unsure about is the headstock decal. I would like to get one custom made to replace the one that the previous owner removed.

If this is an 84/85 TE50, would this be the correct decal in your opinion (found on google images)?
IMG_2445.jpg

Try looking on ebay for a replacement decal from seller:-

plankspanker101

Get in touch with him using the contact button, he's got them all !!

chrisheyes said:
Try looking on ebay for a replacement decal from seller:-

plankspanker101

Get in touch with him using the contact button, he's got them all !!

Thanks for the Contact Chris. I have shot him an email so hopefully he will be able to help. His decals look great. Most ebay sellers dont use metallic paint. I will get some pics up when i have finished working on it.

Back