MY NEW TOKAI ES 158

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiG-19

Reaction score
I was in Tokyo on business the last couple of weeks, and ventured into Ochanomizu, the mecca of instrument stores in Tokyo. I learned about Ochanomizu from reading the forum and knew it as a place to find Tokai guitars. Getting there is pretty easy, and as soon as you leave either the train or metro station, there in front of you is multi-storied building after multi-storied buildings selling guitars of all varieties. Everywhere on the street, people were walking with guitars. It's like a guitar-lover's Disneyland, and for those of us who subscribe to forums like this, it's well worth the trip.

I first looked at a Tokai ES 158 with flamed top in Cherry Red at Guitar Planet. It was a beautiful guitar, made in Japan vice China as some of them are now, going for a about $1350.00 with hard shell case at today's exchange rate. I really liked it, but hoped to find a used one (never did) so I kept looking.

Next, I looked at the Edwards E-SA-125 in another store, which looked like a great instrument selling for right at $1000.00. I was torn between the two, and went back each night for almost a week to look at both. Finally, I pulled the trigger on the Tokai.

I couldn't be happier with it. It has incredible workmanship, playability, and rings like a bell with great sustain. I got to play it for a week at night while I was there, and then I was faced with getting it home with me in Okinawa, which meant flying with it. But, having the hard shell case, and flying a short distance on a Japanese carrier, I thought it had a better than decent chance of making it home intact.

Checking in at the ANA counter at Haneda, they apologized and informed me that I would have to pay for the extra bag, which I was expecting. They only charged me $20.00! Then, they pulled out a hard box and strapped down, case and all inside, then put straps around the outside of the box and marked it fragile. It arrived home in the same shape it left in, so all in all, it was a great experience, and I arrived home with a guitar that even my wife was happy that I had bought as it is so nice.

I'm really happy with the Tokai. I recommend a trip to Ochanomizu to anyone who finds themselves in Tokyo.

photostream

photostream

[/img]

Ochanomizu with all the great shops with Tokai guitars is always a treat. Nice guitar for a great price. Enjoy.

Matti

Back