Message To LondonBarry And Tokai Guy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Peter,

The LR is the same black one that Lee posted about a while ago. From the serial number its an 81. Looks to be all original, although theres some doubt over the pickups - double cream coils, something like 'PAF made by goto' on the base. They've got two rows of adjustable pole pieces instead of one, but do match the surrounds for colour perfectly. Who knows? They're quite beefy and I had to back them away from the strings a bit.

As to the rest: Deluxe stamped tuners (the ones on my ES100J from the same year say TOKAI), diamond trussrod cover, neck is one piece, back is 3 pieces but the top is definitly 2 pieces. Seems like they didn't always use 3 for the solid colour models. I recently read in the 'Beauty of the Burst' book that even 50s Goldtops had tops of 3 random width pieces and the change to 2 only came with the move to sunburst (interesting eh Lee :wink: ).

Its got an old style trussrod as well - not an allen key job but with a nut on the top. Do all the old Gibson copies have those (haven't check my ES100J)? Do the recent Tokais have that? Might be authentic but its damned inconvenient as I haven't got anything to adjsut it with and it needs a tweek....

I guess you get a bit more treble if you turn the pup around as its pole pieces are closer to the bridge?

I think amp wise Greeny started off as a Fender man. Mac went to Marshalls (presumably in the quest for volume), then Orange (which I read Greeny hated) and towards the end back to Fenders (Bandmasters I think). Dunno what he's using now but I agree he ain't what he was.

Yeah, I was going to use a 4 conductor wire DiMarzio to try for the out of phase sound but before I knew it I found myself with screwdriver in hand, sliding that magnet out. Had some stupid idea about if it was good enough for Greeny etc....

I hadn't noticed any more hum in the middle position but I'll give it a try tonight and see.

Anyway, its an addictive sound, if you're into the old blues boom stuff its worth doing.

I saw on another post that you've got an old Traynor? A few months ago I picked up an old Traynor GuitarMate combo. Supposed to be the Candian Deluxe Reverb. It has a cavernous reverb thats great for the old Mac sound. Just call me Albert Ross :D

Funny about the Varitone thing. Used to have a 345 that could imitate that PG sound and also (but very slightly whilst using a wha wha) the guitar solo sound on Haitian Divorce by Steely Dan. Never had a talk box :(

My Breezies are up for sale too folks.

Just been playing the LR - no noticable increase in hum with the out of phase pups Barry.

Gotta say I'm well pleased with the guitar - I've just realised that I haven't played any of my others since getting it!

Anyone know where I can get a decent vintage style case for the LR. Don't particularly want a Gibson one, as they have that big cheesy logo on them.

James...Try musiciansfriend.com for all kinds of guitar cases at reasonable prices....All different prices from about $80 and up.

www.musiciansfriend.com

John

Thanks John, but they don't ship much internationally (I'm in the UK) and even if they did I think the added cost would negate any benefit of buying from them. Good selection and prices though - wish we could get gear that cheap over here.

James

Sorry about that James,I keep forgetting about how many of the folks on the website aren't from the U.S.

John

Back