ls85f

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DP

Reaction score
purchased ls85f 6 weeks ago, great guitar, only thing is that i find it goes out of tune quite quickly
should i look at changing tuners
cheers
DP

The tuners are fine, the reason the guitar is going out of tune is more than likely strings not stretched properly after fitting. Standard Kluson style tuners are more than good enough.

I'm still amazed at the amount og people that don't bed their strings in properly. I recently sold a wine red OBG to a young guy that had the same problem,so he put brand new locking tuners on the guitar ignoring my advice, Guess what..!!the bloody guitar still goes out of tune,and all because he doesn't bed his strings in properly.....You could also try lubricating the nut with some graphite.

Mick

99.9% of the time, any tuning problems you have on a hardtail guitar will be down to either the nut or pooor restringing technique, NOT the tuners. The Gotoh tuners on your guitar are prefectly fine, and are in fact very high quality.

Scrape a little graphite (pencil lead) and/or vaseline into the nut slots and make sure you know how to restring properly. I'm frequently amazed at the number of experienced, talented players I encounter who can't restring properly and don't even know it.

There's a decent guide here:

http://my.88db.com/my/Services/Post_Detail.page/lesson_instruction/music/?PostID=74014

Using this method you only need one complete turn on the wound strings, but I like to use two complete turns on the plain strings.

Here's a pic of my Fender tele. I'm not used to restringing it so some of the strings are a bit botched, but the A and D strings are good.

P5260127.jpg

EDIT: The original poster should heed the advice about stretching new strings as well.

Latest posts

Back