LS-70F shootout LP Studio

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye2u

Reaction score
I had a comparison tonight with my son's Gibson Les Paul DC Studio, which I thought was a good guitar
We used my standard rig & effcts pedals for both guitars, same settings etc
Fender Super 60
Fulltone Fulldrive FDII
Digitech Digital Delay
Digitech Multi Chorus

My LS-70F

PA040144.jpg

Versus the Gibson LP Studio

c9_1.jpg

First of all the Studio is much lighter, only 3.2kg vs 4.6kg

Some differences in neck width & profile, the Studio has a narrower neck, also thinner profile.
I prefer the thicker neck, sonnie boy the thinner, I suppose 60's profile

Tone wise, big difference. The Tokai won without a doubt, we both agreed on that one
The richness & clarity of the Gotoh pups way puts the Gibson pups to shame, wich was ill defined, muddy & lower output.
Sustain (prob due to weight & ext tenon in the LS-70) was much longer in the LS-70

Player comfort over a night of 4 hrs playing the Studio is much easier to handle than the heavy LS-70, but hey I can live with that :wink:

Anyone else out there done similar tests?
Be very intresting when my boy brings home that mid 90's LP Standard 60's neck, that he just bought, then we'll see :roll:

I've never done a head-to-head test, but after I bought my love rock I had a bit of a crisis of confidence and wondered if I'd have been better off with the 'real thing'. After a session with a bunch of LP standards in my local, I felt like laughing out loud.

The burstbucker pickups were **** nice, I admit - but that was about the only thing the gibson had over the tokai. Fit and finish on most of the gibsons was very sloppy, and one of them had eight string slots cut in its bridge. Lots of filler around the inlays, dried up pinkish rosewood, ugly second rate flame and solid colour on the back and sides which apparently hides terrible bookmatching on two-piece bodies. Grasping the headstock, the necks were VERY noticeably less resonant than tokai. In fact, they were noticeably less resonant than the MIM tele I tried the same day. That neck joint is evil.

It seems that gibson make good guitars these days only because of the law of averages. The eight slot bridge was freakin' unforgiveable - at ?1500 that was going to be somebody's pride and joy eventually.

Yeah... I was quite interested in testing my LS150 against a LP STudio the other day

Conclusion.... Gibson Pickups seemed a lot brighter and a bit more "lively" than the ones in the Tokai... but the Tokais were warmer

The build quality on the Tokai though was FAR superior!!

Paladin2019

Jamieh

I totally agree with you, that was my conclusion as well

I've now had two gigs with the LS70F, absolutely AWESOME guitar
does almost everything I want, exept the Strat sound & the LP Jr GROWL
But thats why I got all of them at hand whenever I need them

Cheeersa
My son is getting his Lp Standard in the next few days( Hopefully) so I can have another shootout against a real LP Standard

Back