Just won Tokai Springy sound 1981 ST- 60/80 for $521, WHAT?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the Ebay feedback system is currently he can not leave you -ve feedback, so go ahead and leave what you feel appropriate.

The S/N wouln't be a big issue as long as the model of the guitar is the same, but he clearly showed a pic of the S/N in the listing, are you sure he sent you the same guitar? If not then I would be leaving a -ve and filing a claim against him through ebay.

The scratchy volume pot may be fine if you blast it with some contact cleaner. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a volume pot that's worn on a guitar over 25 years old, even if it needs to be replaced. It happens, it's not a big deal.

But the serial number on the guitar you receive should be the same as in the advert - if not, he has mis-described the guitar and sent you something that you didn't bid on. You might have grounds for a claim. eBay may know f*** all about guitars, but even they should understand that serial numbers on any product should be the same as advertised or displayed in a picture on the ad.

It depends if you want to make a claim and return the guitar, or whether you reckon that what you have been sent is a good guitar that you're happy with for the money you paid.

The volume pot is the main issue, but stuff like the serial etc all adds to it.
It's the same guitar as in the pictures.

He said the problem with the volum pot is "normal", and that "any shop would sell it like that".
I find that unlikely, and they would definately inform you about it, and not say "No issue with the electronics.".

He did include pictures of the serial, but in the picture, it looks like "1" "I" or "l", but it's clearly an "L" when you see it in real life.

So it's probably just a simple misreading on his part, I wouldnt worry too much about it. I've bought from this man myself and everything went without a hitch. His language skills are a little limited but hey, you should hear my Japanese :lol:

If it's just the volume pot then I would clean it or change it. I mis-understood the S/N issue, I thought you had been sent a different guitar!

If it's a good guitar, play it and enjoy it, and if the only real issue is the volume pot then I don't think he deserves a -ve for that :D

Jeez! First you bid on it without asking questions first, win it then pick holes in it, assume the guy is a crook despite his 100% record then finally, magnanimously decide to pay for it after all.

Then, when it arrives, you're on his back again because of a few marks and a defective five bucks volume pot - on a 30 year old guitar! :roll:

Please don't buy anything from me, will you? I live in constant fear of people with your mentality winning my auctions! :lol:

No, not at all. But there's a big difference between a seller who's dishonest and one who sells a 30 year old guitar with a few marks on it and a possibly dodgy volume pot.
Especially when photographs were posted on the auction, the seller has a 100% positive feedback, is known to the members of this site and the winning bidder didn't make any enquiries to verify or disprove his suspicions beforehand!

Personally I would be considerably more worried by a 30 year old guitar that is completely mint and that no-one had played in all that time. I'd wonder why!

As far as I can see, the "Dishonesty" allegation relates to the serial number, ie:
"...He did include pictures of the serial, but in the picture, it looks like "1" "I" or "l", but it's clearly an "L" when you see it in real life."

Oh well, that's it then. Best dust off the electric chair eh? :roll:

Personally I think he's acted very fairly. He may well have not known about the sticking volume pot. He displayed pictures of the serial number (The fact that the buyer couldn't make out what it said yet sought no clarification prior to bidding notwithstanding).

Ultimately, if you bid on and win an auction, and the item is demonstrably the same item as in the pictures on the auction listing, then you've bought it. Simple as that.
If you want 100% money back guarantee and a brand new instrument then I'm sure there are plenty of shops who will be happy to supply you one.

I think his reply to the threat of negative feedback for his crimes was very restrained personally:

"...Please do as you like.
I have no right to stop you from doing so. "

My reply would have been more along the lines of "Foxtrot Romeo Oscar!"

I think the lesson to be learned from all this is:

1) Do your homework FIRST.
2) If you're not sure - ask!
3) Only bid on it if you're prepared to buy it. No-one is forcing you to have it.

..... And... Breathe! That's it. Rant over. :lol:

I feel it's more that you picture me as a crook, than that I picture him as one.

Except for refusing to pay tax (even though I was having it shipped overseas), and ultimately not buying the strap after all, from an eBay store, I've never done anything "bad" as en eBayer.
And I did say sorry for wasting their time, so I think it was okay.

I never bid on auctions before asking questions, the only reason I did, was because he's a 100% feedback seller, that, from what I have seen, sells ALOT of Tokais.
Therefore, I trusted what was in his description. I know model etc. isn't always easy to determine, and he did say he wasn't sure about the exact model.

I NEVER planned to give him negative feedback, I reserve that for the BAD sellers/swindlers (probably not the correct usage of the word, but who cares?).
He was just (in my opinion) neglectant (or dishonest as I said earlier, but I realize that may be a bit "harsh").

I don't think positive feedback is in place when all I can say is "He sent me the guitar in the pictures! A+++++++".

I'll just copy part of my email to the seller, to better explain myself:
I am about to leave the following NEUTRAL feedback:
"I got what was in the pictures, but it was not as advertised or working properly"

Because the following parts of the description did not match the actual item:
-"No issue with the electronics.", but in reality, the volume pot is not working properly.
It's not just crackling (although there is considerable crackling when turning the knob), but it's impossible to turn the volume all the way down (and I think all the way up too).
It's kind of stuck between 3 and 8 or something, if you know what I mean.

-"(Serial # 102205).", but in fact, it was L02205, and from actually seeing it in real life, this is VERY obvious.

I also don't think it's the correct model etc (but I can't prove this), and there were things you SHOULD have informed me about.
Like the brass nut, the tuners having been replaced/non original, and the high e-string tuner not working properly (probably should be replace).

Innos said:
I feel it's more that you picture me as a crook, than that I picture him as one...

I'm not calling anyone a crook, just making some observations, that's all.

...Except for refusing to pay tax (even though I was having it shipped overseas), and ultimately not buying the strap after all, from an eBay store, I've never done anything "bad" as en eBayer.

What, so apart from winning auctions, then deciding not to follow through and complete the deal you're a good ebayer? Er...Okay.

...And I did say sorry for wasting their time, so I think it was okay...

Yeah, I'm sure your apology gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling inside as he was clicking on his PayPal account to shell out for the relisting fee.

I never bid on auctions before asking questions...

Yeah?

... the only reason I did..

Ah, that's more like it!

...was because he's a 100% feedback seller, that, from what I have seen, sells ALOT of Tokais.
Therefore, I trusted what was in his description. I know model etc. isn't always easy to determine, and he did say he wasn't sure about the exact model....

And... you didn't think it was worth asking him a few more questions beforehand?

I NEVER planned to give him negative feedback, I reserve that for the BAD sellers/swindlers (probably not the correct usage of the word, but who cares?).
He was just (in my opinion) neglectant (or dishonest as I said earlier, but I realize that may be a bit "harsh").

Yes. I think "Dishonest" is very harsh!

I don't think positive feedback is in place when all I can say is "He sent me the guitar in the pictures! A+++++++".

Really? What more did you want him to do? Come round to your place, cut the lawn, make the bed and do the washing up as part of the deal??

I'm not passing judgement on your Ebay activities mate, I just think you need to take a bit more care and do a bit more preparation before jumping in with both feet and then crying "Con Merchant!"

Ebay is an auction site. If you feel the need to have someone hold your hand throughout the entire process I'd respectfully suggest that you stick to high street stores.

Anyway, you've already said that you're pleased with the guitar, and that's great! But if you weren't, I'd suggest you just take it on the chin, man up and stick it back on Ebay again rather than try and pin the blame on everyone else.

I'm glad you're pleased with it though, and hopefully once you've taken a few minutes to change the dodgy pot and given it a good clean you should have an excellent guitar at a good price. :D

Back