Just bought this Tokai Anniversary tone machine

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kappie

Reaction score
Hi guys (are there any women out here by the way?)

I just wanted to share some pictures with you of my new Tokai Anniversary (GA130) I just bought. This guitar really is amazing. It has got killer tone and I really like the looks of it.

Here are some pictures:
TokaiAnniversary004.jpg

TokaiAnniversary005.jpg

TokaiAnniversary006.jpg

TokaiAnniversary009.jpg

TokaiAnniversary011.jpg

TokaiAnniversary013.jpg

Cheers Herbert

Now THAT's a great looking guitar. I've seen pics of them before. How does it sound, feel, etc? Does it have MK II pickups?

I have been told that the PU's are Keiyo and they sound fantastic but I am sure that is also due to the guitar. The guitar is a sort of mixture between a Les Paul, a Tele and a PRS. The neck looks wider than the neck on my Love Rock but I just checked it and it is actually just as wide. It also has the same feel and plays great. The balance is also very good and the thing only weights 3.7 kilos. The body is slightly thinner as on a Love Rock but the sound is still very deep, precise and with a lot of grit.

True, but I think they are worth every penny of it. For me this is a keeper and I have owned and played (too) many :wink: guitars... 8)

Yes it sure is Japanese, in spite of the 3 screws in the truss rod cover, which usually indicates a Korean built guitar. To be honest I prefers a top Japanese guitar (like this one) over a top American brand. Somehow it feels far less mass fabricated and more like an unique instrument... Strange and hard to describe...

that's very nice indeed, i know what you mean about its being a mix of tele, lp and prs, but somehow the shape works on its own merits too. :) EDIT: what colour is it? black? it's hard to tell from the photos whether it's black or just the angle you took the picture from... :)

I still can't make up my mind whether I like the look of this guitar or not. :-? How different is it to a Les Paul/Love Rock?

Mike

I'm liking them. Here is the link to Gottfried's (togps) website with more photos of them (the goldtop is nice looking):

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produkte.php?rubrik=1&rechts=4

I still can't make up my mind whether I like the look of this guitar or not. How different is it to a Les Paul/Love Rock?

Mike

Well, here are some remarks:

Soundwise:
Compared to a Love Rock the tones are quite similar, only this guitar has tremendous warmth and depth. The clarity of the sound is also very good and the tones really jump out. The sound is very balanced and the instrument looks and feels top class. To be honest I think this instrument has huge potential. Two months ago I bought a PRS McCarthy Korina (a long time wish) but I had to part with it because it just sounded bleak and dead. In our rehearsal space the girls and boys of my band begged me to bring in my LS240 again because it sounded infinitely better than the PRS. Compared to my LS240 this guitar is slightly louder, warmer and has slightly more depth and slightly better note separation. The LS240 however wins on the highs and the overtones which are brilliant, but I never have heard any instrument that comes close anyway.

I tried 2 Anniversaries and they both sounded slightly different, but not as different as a lot of Les Paul models sound. I think due to the combinations of various woods (in this case mahogany, maple and rosewood) each guitar will sound different and unique anyway.

Looks:
I took a couple of pictures of one of my Love Rocks (LS 85Q) together with the Anniversary. To be honest I like the shape of the Anniversary better. Of course the Les Paul is a design icon, but the shape is late fifties. The Anniversary looks much more modern and up to date, at least that is what I think. It is also slightly shorter and lighter and I can't wait to gig with it. (I like to have something special 8))

TokaiAnniversary014.jpg

TokaiAnniversary015.jpg

TokaiAnniversary016.jpg

TokaiAnniversary018.jpg

I see what you mean, the Les Paul, although a classic design does look old-fashioned next to the anniversary. Good looking guitar!!

I hate to admit it, but it seems to take the basic Tele shape (which is a bit crude), and make it more attractive. I don't suppose you have a Tele to photograph it next to?

Nice review, thanks. I wonder what they would sound like with P90s?

Stratmam323 wrote:
I hate to admit it, but it seems to take the basic Tele shape (which is a bit crude), and make it more attractive. I don't suppose you have a Tele to photograph it next to?

Okay, I took some more. Sorry for the bad light, still early... Enough pictures from my side now :)

TokaiAnniversaryvsTele001.jpg

TokaiAnniversaryvsTele002.jpg

TokaiAnniversaryvsTele004.jpg

TokaiAnniversaryvsTele005.jpg

There's still one for sale at Hisashi: ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.nl/MIJ-Nagano-Made-JTL66-NAT-Ash-Rose-A-C-Great_W0QQitemZ230282821171QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Cheers Herbert

Back