Jazz Sound Bass Identification Help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STom

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone help me identify my Jazz Sound Bass as per attached pictures please? I cant see any serial numbers but have not taken the neck off. Nothing to suggest to me where it is from on the headstock either. Could it be a MIJ from that time as it doesnt have any serial numbers? (I bought it in about 200120240328_080031.jpg in London as new but it could have been late 90s stock).

Thanks
Simon20240328_080116.jpg

Can you post pictures of the back of the bass?

I am inclined to think it was Made in Japan because of the gold decal, but more pics would confirm that.

2001 was during the period Tokai made guitars for Fender. None of their Fender copies had serial numbers between roughly 1992 and late 2009. But the ones I have seen had a MADE IN JAPAN stamp on the neck heel.

If it is Japanese, there would be tell tale signs under the pickguard and in the neck pocket.

Likely AJB45

2003 catalog

Scan 6.jpeg

20240328_080031.jpgThanks Sig. Back photos attached. I will take the scratch plate off and photo that too. 20240328_110201.jpg

Thanks. There would normally be a MADE IN JAPAN stamp here.

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 7.10.58 AM.png

I would look very carefully with a bright light. It can be faint.

If it is not there, then I still think it is probably Made in Japan. Pics under the hood would probably confirm that.

For reference, here is the period it was likely made and you can see pics of what the stamp typically looks like.

All Caps "MADE IN JAPAN" No Serial Guitars

Yours may be one made before they started doing that, or made for a particular market that didn't require it?

What you want to look for when you open it up is a code. Either stamped in ink or handwritten.

There may be a stamp under one of the pickups, but more likely at the butt of the neck in the neck pocket.

And yes, those pots are promising for MIJ.

Yep. MIJ Tokai.

Made in September. No telling what year. Probably not too long before you got it?

Back