IDing an SG Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightOwl

Reaction score
Hello all!

There is a Tokai SG put up for sale locally, and I've heard these are quality guitars and I may be interested in purchasing it. However, I'm having a hard time verifying what model the guitar even is, and that makes me a little uncomfortable, and I feel like I can't even appraise it's value without confirming at least some information about it.

The seller says it's an '07 Tokai SG Custom guitar, though he doesn't mention the country of manufacture. It's a white three pickup guitar, with neck and headstock binding, the fleur-ish symbol inlay, and the script Tokai logo. He's asking $400 for it used, though I honestly can't find prices to compare.

A few things throw me off:

The serial number is an inked on six digit number, 070574.
The pickguard and truss rod cover are some kind of dark wood... which is strange to me, though it could just be modified by the owner.
The headstock is the open book shape, but there isn't a "dimple" like bump in the middle like current model pictures.

I'm currently asking the seller for more pictures and details, but I thought someone here might be able to verify it for me. My google skills aren't turning up much information I can use.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Headstockfront.jpg

Headstockback.jpg

Guitarwholefront.jpg

Bodyfront.jpg

Looks like a nice SG, as to where its made its Made in Korea. Is it worth the cash ($400) ?? Your local so go try her out, you can always talk him down to what you think its worth, i've heard some Korean Tokai's are quite good and i've heard the opposite as well so i guess the proof would be in the playing. Good Luck.

There's a lot of wierd stuff going on here. Headstock shape, truss rod cover, pickups, knobs, and the proportions all seem a little off... Nothing about it is quite right.

I have a bad feeling about this one. Best to avoid IMO.

Back