hey guys heres better pics of the error on my guitar neck j

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
hi. i posted a while back about the poor quality finish on my japan made love rock LS75Q....
DavzGuitarz013.jpg

now u can clearly see the messed up finish,,,, i totally never expected a jap les paul copy especially from tokai to have such a poor finish....

it was a brand new guitar, and when i emailed bob from tokai guitars UK he told me" to take the guitar back to the store, and have it sent back to tokai themselves either to repair it or to give me a brand new guitar,,,,, im preying that they just give me a new guitar.... fingers crossed on that one though,,, coz they might manage to repair this one.

but i really cant believe that a guitar store tried to sell that axe off at full price.... they also had another love rock with the exact same problem....

i think that the tokai sales rep offered the store these guitars for a heavily discounted price, as i used to work in a guitar store myself and the sales reps would always have the odd guitar here and there that was poorly finished and try to pawn it off to us for a lot cheaper than the usual price,

gladly for me the people at tokai guitars UK are really nice, and bob even said that hes never seen such a poor finish on a japanese tokai in his life, and to get it sent straight back to them to have it repaired or replaced.... but by looking at it i recon they are just gonna give me a replacement.

bob from tokai UK also thought that the guitar had been dropped at some point and the neck has became slightly detached from the body.... this i thought is more and likely the dumb *** courier guys.... half of them dont give a toss about whats inside a box and they just throw them into the back of their vans,,, they aint concerned about whats inside the box... they just make sure that the parcel gets to the correct address.... whyen i worked in the music store many a time we would get guitars with the necks detached and chipped, and their boxes in complete tatters..... so it could have been a number of things that caused this to happen to my guitar.....

im really angry about it all coz even though the joint was like this the guitar still played like a dream it had set lover seymour duncan sh55p/ups installed and it sounded so darn sweet!!!!!
i cant wait to get it back.... hopefully it doesnt take more than a couple of weeks, the guy in the music store said it would take a week,,,, but i recon its gonna take a lot longer than this.....

anyway the point of this post is just to warn others when they go to buy a new guitar, is to check it thoroughly all over, every joint, had i been there when this guitar was purchased for me i would never had took it... i would have had them order another one in and make sure that it was perfect before buying..... at least its gettin sorted out now cant wait to get her back!!!!!!!

Mate,

My LS75Q is similar-ish to yours at this point of the neck, but DONT worry. It is just a matter of masking between the binding and the top cap.

I wouldnt send back my guitar for this, and to be honest with you, i wouldnt even classify it as a finish flaw imho.

The story about the neck detaching from the body is complete BS. If the neck was detached because of a drop or whatever:

1. The headstock would most probably break
2. That tiny blemish on the binding would have been the last of your problems, ie the neck joint finish area would look awefull given a poly finish.

So imho, JUST KEEP YOUR LS75.

im to late bro... its sent back, and im just awaiting for another guitarto be sent back....

it really annoyed me as every time i played it my eyes would forever be lookin at this , and even cheap *** epiphones are finished nicer than this around the neck... so u would expect a ?899 to be flawless, and many other ppl i have talked to about this problem said that it shouldnt be like this and i should return the guitar.... im kinda hopin they give me it in another finish like cherry sunburst

math2014 said:
Mate,

i wouldnt even classify it as a finish flaw imho.

i would definetly class this as a flaw the pic doesnt really show the full extent of the poor finish as if u look down at the top of the body u can see about 1mm gap and theres still a pencil line where its been marked out for routing....

i havent seen this finish on any other les paul copy even ?200 westfield set neck les pauls are laquered across this joint to make it look nice and tidy.....

so this tokai i had should be much better finish than this

hi
i never looked at mine until i saw your post , my 75q is the same as yours but on the opposite side it is actually much worse as there is a small gap as if the neck is parting company from the body, although it isnt . i think that the filler was left out. as the guitar plays absolutly wonderful. the heck is perfect in all other aspects. i am just going to give it to my local repairer, and im sure he could fix it proparly

tok10.JPG

tok11.JPG

tok6.JPG

tok4.JPG

As you can see in these pics , maybe mine is better finished in that area, but still a tiny imperfection is there to be seen.

hey bro by any chance is your a 2003 model mine is a 2003 and also the other love rock the store had which was the exact same finish as yours was an 03 model to (very pretty quilt top indeed) and it to had this poor finish, your right to by sayin that ur local luthier could quite easily finish it off smoothly, but for the price i paid for my guitar i expected perfection in every aspect..... although this flaw in no way effected the guitars tone it just bothered me thats why i returned it.....

i take it your as much in love with your guitar as i am with mine, as i found it really hard to take it back to the store knowing that i aint gonna have my guitar for a few weeks.... i missin it like crazy and its only been gone for a day!!!!!!

out of interest how much did u get your axe for... i paid ?899 UK for mine but it had seth lover seymour duncan sh55 p/ups installed instead of the gotoh MK2 pups

see on your volume pots u have a little pointer thingy to show u where your volume and tone pots are set.... can these things be bought seperatly, as whoever did the pickup install on my guitar fogot to put these things back onto the pots,,,,, and i think the guitar looks better with these rings

I paid 699 for mine with a Tokai hardcase included. Do you see the area on my guitar that yours had a flaw? Mine is not 100% perfect, but it doesnt have any pencil marks or gaps.

nah from the pics i cant see the flaw on urs, but i fucked around with my digicam for ages to get the pics to show the flaw up coz its really not that visible,,,,, but a new guitar is on th way cant wait!!!!!

the tops on these axes are so bueatiful.... shame its not solid and just a veneer...... thats another thing that bugs me about my axe though... as in certain lights u can see the actual maple cap as the join for the maple cap doesnt match up with the veneer and the veneers are so thin u can see a faint like right up just of the centre of the guitar.... its anooying as my eyes get drawn to this also!!!!!

I think you need to play more and stop looking for minor faults!!

i play 4 to 5 hours a day been playin for 13 years.... i just expect a guitar of that price to be flawless like everybody says tokais are..... i meen all these errors i have spotted on a ?899 guitar and that was without a hardcase just shouldnt be there.... everybody rants about how great these tokais are.... and dont get me wrong they probably are mostly wanderful guitars... but both tokais in the store were finished like this and also math says he has a similar prob on his neck join to, the overall feel and sound of the guitar is far beyond any gibson i have played, but i can say for the gibos i tried in the shop looked a lot nicer finished around the neck, and of course they were also solid flamed maple tops not carved maple with a quilted veneer, i just hope that the new one they send out will not look as bad as this coz the with the seth lover sh55 pups that were installed in this guitar it sounded awesome thru my marshall jcm2000 100 watt head!!!!!

That looks very minor to me, like someone said above, a very slight mismatch during the masking process. It's not unusual on guitars from many manufacturers.

Maybe with a razorblade you can carefully scrape away the pigment if it bothers you.

hi
loverockrules, mine is 2004 . i also have a 2003 ls70f and there is no problem with that one, also 1985 ls70f no problem either
mike

to late guys she sent back to factory and a new guitar will be gettin replaced.... i couldnt have scraped nuthin back to make it look better as at both sides of the neck theres lik a 1mm gap between the veneer top and the neck binding... if u read my earlier posts u will also see that i mentioned that there is also still visible pencil lines in the 1mm gap so the only way this could be fixed is by gettin a decent luthier to laquer across the joint...... and anyway as i keep saying over and over.... why should i have to refinish my own guitar to perfection at the bloody price that i paid for it.... an ?899 guitar and im gonna go hacking at it with a razor blade????? dont think so somehow!!!!!!!!!

I guess I should apologize then for not reading closely.

A gap is certainly a big deal. From the pic I didn't notice that.

Maybe the wood was not completely dried and then shrank or something like that. Whatever it was, it's not a good sign.

Was it actually a gap though or simply paint from the body overlapping the neck binding?

If it was an actual gab between the fretboard and the body then yes you did the correct thing to send it back.

If it was just some paint overlap though...

Latest posts

Back