• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Handbuilt Marshall 18W Clone

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
SOLD

Hand made by me to a very high standard using the absolute best components, F&T & Sozo Vintage caps, cabon comp & film resistors etc, this is one loud amp, easily giggable with a full band (I do!) It's the sort of amp that needs to be played, one channel, volume/tone and that's it but just by using the guitar volume it goes from lovely pure clean to JCM800 dirty.

EZ81 valve rectifier, 2 ECC83 pre-amp valves and 2 EL84 power amp valves.

Mint condition! I can add a couple of great mods to the amp if you want them, powerscaling, get full marshall grind at bedroom levels (?50) and/or a drive voicing control, this will allow you to vary the overall voicing of the amp from clean to dirty.

350 pounds shipped in the UK, or 250 without the head cab, you could use your own, build it in to a combo or if you are just using it at home use it as it is (but keep your fingers out!!) Money back less postage if you don't love it!!

SOLD

DSC01568.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

Beautiful piece of work John....love the meticulous military style wiring :eek:
Does the GT come included :wink:

Thanks guys! It certainly sounds as good as it looks, if not better :wink: The only reason I'm selling is I've built another, twin channel version, and my amp collection is getting as big as my guitar collection!!

Sorry, the Goldtop is staying with me :D

AlanN said:
Ooh, what's replacing her?

A TMB, just like yours :) but with 6V6's to try and get more of a JTM-45 clean sound, it's closer, but still not a JTM-45! I've added a 'drive control' to the amp too, so you can voice it from clean to dirty, the standard TMB circuit is not really clean enough for me.

My next one is going to be a true JTM-18, sticking very closely to a JTM-45 design, but with an 18W transformer set, haven't settled on a design yet, but getting some ideas.

With the drive fully off the amp goes from clean to crunchy and fully on it's just like the standard TMB, it'll also go anywhere in between, very easy mod if you fancy it!

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01578.jpg

I can add power scaling to the amp for an additional ?50, just put this in my TMB and it really does allow for cranked Marshall tones at (almost) bedroom levels.

leadguitar_323 said:
Good to hear you like the power scaling, was it easy to install?

Mick

On a cathode biased amp like the Marshall above it's a piece of cake as I've used a method that scales the voltage on both the pre & power-amp together and it sounds great! On a fixed bias amp like my JTM-45 it looks a nightmare :eek:

Change it as often as you like, keeps my for-sale post up at the top :wink:

They're Irongear Alchemists, cheap pickups, but sound great, humbucker sized P-90's.

Here's the info:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IRONGEAR-ALCHEMIST-90-Chrome-Black-Bridge_W0QQitemZ260369873023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3c9f40f87f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Blimey, you're a hell of an amp builder!

Do you use DC on the heaters? And single point (star) grounding?

JVsearch said:
Blimey, you're a hell of an amp builder!

Do you use DC on the heaters? And single point (star) grounding?

Still learning, but thanks :) I use star grounding but the valve heaters are AC just like an old Marshall, I don't have any hum problems so don't see the need to run DC heaters, might give it a try one day though.

Back