Greco Dry Z pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do not fight Mickman and Grecoman. It's just a talk about the guitars and none of us is really any expert here actually. So please do not!
I am right now in the downtown of Hong kong in some hotel. Using their PC writing this. There was a band playing here today whose guitarist had an Epiphone korina V and the bassist was some jazz bass in surf green. They were playing the reggae with a black guy from somewhere Caribbean I guess. It was good to see. It's something to see someone playing V sometimes.....Sushi Guy.

Please do not fight Mickman and Grecoman. It's just a talk about the guitars and none of us is really any expert here actually. So please do not!

I think you are misunderstanding things Sushi guy, i have meant no offense and i don't thing Grecoman has taken anything personally? You just look after yourself and all will be fine... :D

Mick

Teisco went out of business around 1969 and some Teisco employees then went to Fujigen.

Kanda Shokai had Matsumoku build some Grecos but they were only certain models like bolt on neck SG's and some Strats and usually had Matsumoku on the guitars somewhere.

The 1970s Ibanez and Greco LPs are built by the same factory and it's Fujigen.
Hoshino was trying to sell low priced Ibanez LP copies which were really very nearly the same as the low priced Greco LPs until Hoshino ran into trouble with Gibson and then Hoshino changed it's Ibanez guitar designs to things like the Artist etc.

Dyna Gakki was contracted to make the Ibanez Blazers in the early 1980s because Fujigen wasn't interested in doing the matte finish but Dyna Gakki was.

The first digit pickup serial number is sometimes a 1 and a 2 in the same Greco so the first digit standing for the factory makes no sense.

The Gibson T-tops had A5 magnets and they were what Angus used.
The Maxon pickups (Dry Z, U-1000, U-2000, Super 70 etc) seem to be T-top copies with different magnets for different models.

Here is a Gibson T-top

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/7879-gibson-t-top-pat-no-2737842-pickup.html

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gibson%20t-top/marscape1/IMG_9101640x480.jpg

and here are some Maxon pickups

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=768

Notice the number of holes in the black or white plastic bobbin.
Both have 2 holes.
PAF's have 3 holes with one squarish hole on one end.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gibson%20PAF/searcystringworks/Pickups/paf9.jpg

The Maxon pickups are all great pickups IMO and I've used them since the 70s.

leadguitar_323 said:

I think you are misunderstanding things Sushi guy, i have meant no offense and i don't thing Grecoman has taken anything personally? You just look after yourself and all will be fine... :D

Mick

OK Mickman thanks. You two both seem good man so don't wanna see fighting about stupid guitar things. Anyway keep staying cool please both Mickman and Grecoman. I am Sushiman from Hong Kong, absolutely NOT Tokai Joe or anyone else as we sure know already. Peace!

SUSHI GUY said:
leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

OK Mickman thanks. You two both seem good man so don't wanna see fighting about stupid guitar things. Anyway keep staying cool please both Mickman and Grecoman. I am Sushiman from Hong Kong, absolutely NOT Tokai Joe or anyone else as we sure know already. Peace!

C'mon Joe, we all know it's you :wink:

JohnA said:
SUSHI GUY said:
leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

C'mon Joe, we all know it's you :wink:

Don't know what you are talkin about Mr.JohnA but anyway Peace!

leadguitar_323 said:
If you do a search there is piles of great info on the origins and factories that made the Greco branded guitars. They include info on the Tokai made Greco'sThe cort made Greco's and plenty more. I think {if i remember carefully},Dyna Gakki didn't make any Greco guitars,They were involved in distribution. Where in Brisbane are you?

Mick

Hi Mick, Dyna Gakki is a guitar factory, they made the Kanda Shokai Greco guitars......pm sent. 8) I live closer towards Ipswich....

This is the street view near my apartment which is on the left, has the Panasonic ads.
My hotel is 15 minutes away from here in the place called "Far-Kin Park".
It's near the Hong Kong Bay and there is this huge park where people enjoy whatever in the weekend.
Anyway still not too bad the life in Hong Kong is.
We worried about it so much going bad when we were returned to China then.....Sushi Guy.

Shanghai_-_Nanjing_Road.jpg

leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

Peace please Mickman and Grecoman. Thanks!

chu0.jpg

:oops:

hey Suschi Guy,that looks like a cool place to live,,I'd love to go there one day to check it out.

Dyna Gakki is a guitar factory

Yeah, i know Dyna make guitars but i was also under the impression that Dyna Gakki made some of the 80's Greco's but somewhere along the line someone here corrected that. I am not too sure where the thread is but if i find it i will post the info.

Mick

LarryC said:
hey Suschi Guy,that looks like a cool place to live,,I'd love to go there one day to check it out.

China is not bad to live lately and if you love the Chinese food, they are the heaven ofcourse!

japanstrat said:
Teisco went out of business around 1969 and some Teisco employees then went to Fujigen.

Kanda Shokai had Matsumoku build some Grecos but they were only certain models like bolt on neck SG's and some Strats and usually had Matsumoku on the guitars somewhere.

The 1970s Ibanez and Greco LPs are built by the same factory and it's Fujigen.
Hoshino was trying to sell low priced Ibanez LP copies which were really very nearly the same as the low priced Greco LPs until Hoshino ran into trouble with Gibson and then Hoshino changed it's Ibanez guitar designs to things like the Artist etc.

Dyna Gakki was contracted to make the Ibanez Blazers in the early 1980s because Fujigen wasn't interested in doing the matte finish but Dyna Gakki was.

The first digit pickup serial number is sometimes a 1 and a 2 in the same Greco so the first digit standing for the factory makes no sense.

The Gibson T-tops had A5 magnets and they were what Angus used.
The Maxon pickups (Dry Z, U-1000, U-2000, Super 70 etc) seem to be T-top copies with different magnets for different models.

Here is a Gibson T-top

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/7879-gibson-t-top-pat-no-2737842-pickup.html

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gibson%20t-top/marscape1/IMG_9101640x480.jpg

and here are some Maxon pickups

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=768

Notice the number of holes in the black or white plastic bobbin.
Both have 2 holes.
PAF's have 3 holes with one squarish hole on one end.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gibson%20PAF/searcystringworks/Pickups/paf9.jpg

The Maxon pickups are all great pickups IMO and I've used them since the 70s.

Guys, here is a reply from email i got from Maxon themselves a while ago, it is really best i start to divulge my 'secrets' anyway, rather than keep them to myself....

Yes, the first digit was never a place where the pickup was to go, ie 1 = Dyna Gakki and 2 = Fujigen, yes, it's BS.....

So here is the reply chaps, in English, the first digit is actually a production line number.....anyone with those rare prototypes here?

Maxon guitar pickup serial number consisted of five-digit number.
Period used: up to and including 1977
The serial number: ABCDD
A: production line code (1: prototype line (very rare pickup), the other numbers are the production line numbers.)
B: year of manufacture (e.g. 1977 was shown as "7".)
C: month, 1=Jan ... 9=Sep., 0(zero)=Oct., X=Nov., .(dot)=Dec.
DD: day of the month (01 to 31)
If A is 1 (prototype line), B is the year code and CDD are not disclosed.

Maxon guitar pickup serial number consisted of six-digit number.
Period used: After 1977.

The serial number: ABCCDD
A: production line code (1: prototype line (very rare pickup), the other numbers are the production line numbers.)
B: year of manufacture (e.g. 1977 was shown as "7".)
CC: month, 01=Jan ... 09=Sep., 10=Oct., 11=Nov., 12=Dec.
DD: day of the month (01 to 31)

If A is 1 (prototype line), B is the year code and CDD are not disclosed.
Unquote

Thank you Maxon!! 8)

Good work.

About Dyna Gakki and Greco.

Dyna Gakki made a lot of the lesser known brands and sometimes did other things like the Ibanez Blazers.

Kanda Shokai did not seem to use Dyna Gakki for Grecos until after the Greco LP's finish in the early/mid 90s.

Kanda Shokai broke their tight relationship with Fujigen in the mid 90s and hired Dyna Gakki to make some Fender Japan guitars and some Grecos and some Gretsch's later on as well.

So for the 70s, 80s and early 90s, the only makers of Greco LP's were Matsumoku (mainly SG bolt on necks in early/mid 70s and usually has Matsumoku stamped in the neck plate), Fujigen (the majority of Greco LP's with YXXXX and MYYXXX serials), Tokai (no serial number) and Cort (no serial number).

If you want to, how about emailing Maxon about the magnets used in the various pickups like the U-1000, U-2000, PU-2, Dry Z etc and the differences between the pickups.

Back