Got Me A Reborn Ovah Here.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard W.

Reaction score
An ebay auction. Seller was in Japan.
Its a 1980 LS50 Reborn Old. Sort of a violin burst, 3 piece top. It was portrayed as and to the best of my knowledge is all original.
Open humbuckers. The neck pickup has two rows of screwhead pole pieces and the bridge pickup has one row of screwheads and one of slugs.
Tuner backs are pretty corroded, but the tuners work ok.
The neck is very comfortable. The guitar looks a plays very nice. It needs a fret level and dress and it has some intonation issues.
I will have my local guy address those things.
I am going to put an Earvana nut on the guitar.
I am very pleased with the feel and the look of the Reborn.
But I am MOST surprised by the sound of these original pickups.
They sound great!

I paid $890 plus shipping from Japan.

I guess I am not getting the pic posting technique am I?
index.html

Thanks Alan!

Yes it is a good looking guitar, isn't it?
I am going to Pagey it up a bit and put a cover on the neck pickup and (maybe) paint the bobbin tops black on the back pickup.
Its a thought anyway.
I LOVE to swap pickups on guitars. However, these pickups sound really good to me as they are.
Really a well made instrument.
I am very impressed.

Richard W. said:
Thanks Alan!

Yes it is a good looking guitar, isn't it?
I am going to Pagey it up a bit and put a cover on the neck pickup and (maybe) paint the bobbin tops black on the back pickup.
Its a thought anyway.
I LOVE to swap pickups on guitars. However, these pickups sound really good to me as they are.
Really a well made instrument.
I am very impressed.

Looks like one of Hisashi's guitars. He's a forum member and highly recommended seller. Nice catch.

"Looks like one of Hisashi's guitars."

Yes he was indeed the seller.
The rating of the fret condition may have been over-stated just slightly.
The guitar is certainly playable but it needs a level and dress prett badly.
Otherwise, everything was spot on.
Again, I am very impressed with the guitar and feel like I made a great purchase. 8)

I would imagine that the '80 Love Rock is not that much different than the '80 Reborn.
Good luck with it.
Mine is pretty darn cool.

Back