advice Goldstar TST- 60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have enjoyed for weeks the passion and incredible knowledge of vintage Tokai that many of you have.

I fell in love with Tokais Springys and Breezys and early Goldstars without actually touching one not even hearing one live. The story behind this now mythical guitar maker captivated me as did UK Burns 20 years ago.

Now I bring some questions for you guys.

I have an eye on a Goldstar TST 60 from 1984 that has almost all my preferences. Rosewood fingerboard, E pickups. I am hesitating because the area of the p/ups where the E stamps show is placed some deterioration and I wonder if that produces disturbing hissing or something even worse to come.

There is also a certain level stain on visible pickup poles (neck and middle) of as if some liquid had entered there years ago.

I assume the neck wood is uncolored-polished maple, I assume also that it is a 2-piece alder, can someone confirm?

Legit seems out of question, correspondence on plate L+5digit serial number, E stamped picks, 'Final Prospec' saddles, Neck code upon trussrod 8=3, capacitator cavity 8=2 YSOV.

It comes with no tremolo arm, is that easy to find?

Thanks very much in advance for your input and greetings from France.

neck wood.jpgpickups ext.jpgPASTILLAS.jpga6uuvzuqgrazaozikvxz.jpg8=2 YSOV.jpg

Hard to say. I have a 1983 TST70 where the spacers on the pickups melted and are that color. Seems that the material they used for a time was prone to melting. It is possible that happened. Does not affect the sound and I replaced the spacers with a Fender version.

IMG_7763.JPG
IMG_7759.JPG
IMG_8771.JPG

Middle one in this pictures looks like it melted.

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 10.14.28 AM.png

Attachments

• 28025-28ce0fb98d8fd5d6f3d5b11f9c14f1ee.jpg
    28025-28ce0fb98d8fd5d6f3d5b11f9c14f1ee.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1
There is also a certain level stain on visible pickup poles (neck and middle) of as if some liquid had entered there years ago.
If you check the height screw hole area on the pickguard backside, it seems to confirm Sigmania's post. But even a liquid may not necessarily have caused a problem, depends on the liquid (where is that guitar from, France? = wine. :) )

I assume the neck wood is uncolored-polished maple, I assume also that it is a 2-piece alder, can someone confirm?
Polyurethane on the back of the neck, unfinished rosewood on top, as always.

t comes with no tremolo arm, is that easy to find?
https://www.tokaiforum.com/threads/tremolo-arm-the-never-ending-question.12525/

More evidence of melted spacers here that the previous owner did not completely clean up.

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 10.28.35 AM.png

Thanks for you prompt answers!
So you think those brownish stains on middle and neck pickups in the E stam area is due to melting rather than a some short of detachment of the pickups base that should be metallic. what material is used for the pickups by the way?

Homer J. Simpson, the wine hypothesis is not discarded, as the guitar is in France :)

Thanks again

The gray base on those pickups is some sort of allow. I don't think there is iron in them. I have never seen rust on one. I think the discoloration is from the melting of the spacers.

Must have been stored somewhere hot. Want to be sure to ask an make sure the neck is OK. Should be fine, but I would ask.

Back