Finally i have a SG (and a couple of questions..)!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdstone

Reaction score
Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo a
Hi, everyone, I'm new here and in the Tokai-world, and what could be a better presentation than this little story:

I've been looking for a nice SG for a reasonable price for a while now, and finally I was able to make a good deal the other day. One of the local musicshops were closing down, since the owner who've run it since the '50:s just recently passed away. The relatives had chosen to sell out the instruments, and it was just pure luck I found out the day and time the sale (50% on all guitars..) would start so I could be one of the first in line to get in.

It was quite a queue lined up outside when they let us in; only 20 persons at the same time due to fireregulations (in this rather small shop). I knew what I was to aim for inside, since I've noticed through the window the other day when the shop still was closed, a headstock with a Tokai logo on it. I was hoping if that was the Tokai SG which had been there for many years with a high price on it, and in the end it turned to be the very same.

I didn't know much about Tokai earlier, apart from the reputation of great quality. I've also thought they were often quite prizey at the rare occasions you had a chance to encounter one. After I've found a place to sit and play on this one for a while, and called my brother asking him if he thought this could've been the one we tried here once some years ago, I HAD to have it. The pricetag was definitely lower than it was back then - AND now 50% off on that!

After I'd paid for it, a former employee came up to me and congratulated me for a great deal. I asked him if this was "that old unsold Tokai", and he confirmed it. He'd actually brought it new to the shop himself back then, and showed me the s/n on headstock: Beginning with 01, so that would be 2001. Funny thing is that I've hadn't noticed the guitar when visiting the place over the last years (but have in mind this was a very special musicshop, small, quite messy but w/great atmosphere).

Of course I'm very pleased with it, a beautiful guitar with great finish and details. Have only tried it at home so far in my somewhat crappy V-amp, but the pups sound great in my ears. I have to get use to the neck, since I'm used to thinner ones, but that wont be a biggie.. I've considered different brands and models of SG:s lately, but now I'm of course extremly happy it turned out to this Tokai. And at a price I've never could have dreamt of.. :D

Thumbs below, bad lighting unfortunately:

I do have a couple of questions for the experts, though. I've checked the registry-section here, and scanned through the old catalogues. Judging by the s/n and the way s/n appears I could see for my self that this is a MIJ from 2001. But what's this model called? Is it SG60? Or SG70? I guess it's quite simular to a '61 reissue?

Also, I noticed the fretboard is very light (IMO) for being rosewood. Is that common? It's not really as light as in my bad pictures, though..

There are no PU-covers on this guitar, which I think is somewhat strange. I've looked at lots of pics of simular Tokai SG:s since I got it, and everone had covers. Any thoughts on that? I've understood the pups are PAF MkII, right?

Finally one maybe stupid question, but I have to ask: How come the PU-switch is orange, and not white or black..? Is there some special thought behind that, or just what they thought were appropriate estethics?

Hmm, this went longer than I intended in the first place, hope I didn't bore the hell out of everyone :wink:

Hi!
Good to hear you made a good deal! Have fun with that baby! You?ll like that neck after a while! A lotta sounds?s done by the neck, so it is good that the neck is a thicker shape!

3rdstone said:
Also, I noticed the fretboard is very light (IMO) for being rosewood. Is that common? It's not really as light as in my bad pictures, though..

That varies, and most are darker rosewoods. I like those brighter ones!

3rdstone said:
There are no PU-covers on this guitar, which I think is somewhat strange. I've looked at lots of pics of simular Tokai SG:s since I got it, and everone had covers. Any thoughts on that? I've understood the pups are PAF MkII, right?

Finally one maybe stupid question, but I have to ask: How come the PU-switch is orange, and not white or black..? Is there some special thought behind that, or just what they thought were appropriate estethics?

Have a look on the bottom of the pickups, and make a pic! The toggle switch?s color is standard on Tokais!

CYA, "ACY"

Congrats on a great looking SG , i would be tempted to get some lemon oil on the fretboard this will darken it (temporary) and feed the wood ,as it has been in a store for a while..shes a babe

Well, now I've tried this baby out for a while, and I also tried some other SG:s after this purchase. I think I can safely say that this is the best SG I played on. Of course this means relatively modern ones, it would be a different story with some older/vintage specimens (or other Tokai:s, hehe..).

The thing is, I checked out the backside of the pups, and got very surprised when they didn't turned out to be PAF MkII which I thought was standard these years.

My pups are Duncan 59:s. They sound great in my SG-nOOb ears, I just wonder if that possibly could be original?

I've also understood that a usual/popular combo in LP:s/SG:s are 59:s at the bridge and a Jazz in neck. Any reviews or comments on that configuration would be welcome. How are Pearly Gates compared to 59:s at neck?

This is a great forum btw!

Congratulations Men! I'm lucky to be owner of a Tokai SG'75, and i can say that it is the best SG you can find now on market, and the most difficult to find, purchase one of them is a impossible mission.... so you have a jewel.

About p.u. for SG 61 reissue, and vintage styles are '59 for bridge and neck.

Thanks for the reply, Blazes. I agree, she really feels (and looks) like a jewel, even though a slight intonation/setup work will be needed on this honey to make her perfect (bloody G-string!) , and I'm so pleased to get this fine instrument since Tokai spottings in music shops in my country always has been a very rare sight. May I ask about your SG75; From which year is it? I'm just trying to determine what my model is called.

There was no 2001 catalog at the registry section, but judging from the 2000 I assume mine is a SG60. Is there any major differences from SG60/65 to 70/75 except that the numbers indicate a higher yen figure as years went by?

From what I learned about Tokai MIJ SG:s they're quite basic in their specs compared to LP:s, Strats, Teles etc, in which there seem to be several different high or low end models. I'm I completely out in space here?

Btw, thanks for the tip, japaxes. The fretboard got some (probably well needed) Lemon oil on it. While I'm at it, my Yamaha BB2000 bass (my other favourite wife) will be treated the same.

Back