ES60 -ES80- ES120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNasties

Reaction score
Hi,

I asked some weeks ago about the differences btw the new Love Rocks
and today Noriko from Ishibashi wrote that my guitar is on the way :)
(I ordered a LS70 GT).

Now the other guitarist of our Band plans to buy a second guitar too, it
should be a semi-acustic, like the Tokai ES-60, ES80 or ES 120 (are there any
other Semi-Tokais?).
Now again, the question is: whats the difference (except the price :) )?
And does someone know in what colours they're made (I read of sunburst,
wine red and what someone called "trans gold").
My friend maybe looked for some vintage cream or something.

Thanks and greetings from Vienna,
Stefan

ES-60 is korean made,ES-100 an ES-120 are Japan made.ES-100 has got a poliuretano finish,whilst ES-120 is nitro finish.It seems there is a ES-125 model(60's replica).I have seen a ES-180 advertised in a japanese shop a year ago,a 60's replica.I didn't know there was a ES-80 model,it seems new to me.I have seen FA-70 however.
Whislt my tour at the factoryI met the luthier who builds ES models and I was shocked by him.,he caused a fantastic impression.I die for a higher spec Tokai 335 : this man man :roll:

I think the ES-100 and 120 both come in red, sunburst and blonde. The main difference is that the 120 has a flamed maple top, although I believe it does or did have a nitrose finish, too. I have an ES-100 in red, which is very nice.

You may have read the recent post here about a new model, the ES-125, which has block inlays instead of the dots found on the 100 and 125. Yes, another guitar to desire!

The FA-70 is Korean made, apparently to high standards, and is a Gibson ES-175 type model.

I'd advocate getting a Japanese made instrument, mainly because I've experienced them and can speak from this perspective. The quality is great. You won't need to change the pick-ups, unless you want to make it sound worse! For a gigging guitar, why not try the ES-100? Ultimately, it's less money and who needs the flame top?!

Ishibashi will usually give you a 20% discount, which takes the ES-100 down to 80,000 Yen + shipping and import duty. It's a great deal.

Remember, you'll be able to play it when your friend puts it down! Well, IF he can bear to let go of it, of course...

I have an ES-120. My absolute favourite guitar, and I've had way too many! It does everything, and its unbelievably well made. If your friend can afford one, definitely get a Jap Es-120 - it will be a friend for life :D

I could find this pic of a Tokai ES-180, but it seems to be a model built in the 1990s:

http://www.cyborg.ne.jp/~universe/used0012/t_es180_01.html

Back